2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This from the Financial Times of London:

Mercedes recalls 1.3m cars for quality issues
>By James Mackintosh in London
>Published: March 31 2005 17:49 | Last updated: March 31 2005 17:49
>>

Mercedes-Benz recalled almost one in three of the 4m cars it has sold in the past four years to fix electronic problems that have tarnished its reputation for high-quality cars.

Mercedes, owned by DaimlerChrysler, has seen profits plummet as a 1.2bn provision last year for the costs of fixing problems with cars already sold added to pressure from the weak dollar and losses at its Smart small car operations. In the final quarter of last year Mercedes profits dropped 97 per cent to 20m, and Eckhard Cordes, head of the division, said this year’s profits would be hurt by the cost of improving vehicle quality.

Mr Cordes said in a statement on Thursday that the repair of 1.3m cars - the company’s biggest recall - was part of a “systematic approach to quality�.

The company has been deluged with complaints since it admitted last year that a sharp rise in breakdowns was due to the failure of the complex electronics in its cars. But Mr Cordes said cars being built now were free of the problems.

“We are now producing the best product quality ever and our aim is to ensure that those vehicles in the hands of customers ... [reflect] our highest expectations,� he said.

The loss of Mercedes’ coveted position near the top of quality measures has added to pressure on sales from the ageing of several models. But the launching of new cars and offroaders and a 3bn cost-saving and revenue plan is designed to get the company back to 7 per cent profit margins in two years.

Mercedes has previously said the main problems with its vehicles were with the E-Class executive saloon, which makes up a quarter of its sales. But the recall, which is not safety-related, covers all cars with six and eight cylinder petrol engines built from June 2001 to November last year, plus all E-Class, SL-Class cabriolets and CLS-Class coupes made since June 2001.

Mercedes declined to say how much the recall would cost, but analysts said it was likely to be covered by the extra warranty provisions taken last year.

Large recalls are becoming increasingly common at big carmakers as regulators and customers become more demanding. But it is extremely rare to recall more cars than a company builds in a year.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Here is another article on the same topic:

Global Mercedes Recall Affects 1.3 Million Cars
Posted 3/31/05 11:45 a.m. CST

A Mercedes-Benz recall includes E-class models built from 2002 to 2005.
FRANKFURT, Germany — DaimlerChrysler AG said Thursday it is recalling some 1.3 million Mercedes-Benz cars worldwide to fix problems with their alternators and batteries.

There is no word on how many cars in the United States will be affected, or whether repairs will rise to the level of a recall under U.S. regulations. The company said the recall was part of its renewed effort to improve quality in its cars, and is notifying its customers in writing of the recall.

The German-U.S. automaker said it will check the voltage regulator in the alternator on six- and eight-cylinder models and replace the regulator if needed.

It said it would install battery control software on E-class and CLS-class models built from January 2002 - January 2005. The company also said the braking system on E-, SL- and CLS-class models made since June 2001 would be updated.

The company has set up a hot line for European customers at 800-1-777-7777. In the United States, customers can call 1-800-FOR-MERC.

·
Registered
'05 G55K - Stolen; '87 560SL - Sold
469 Posts
I have read a few articles on this recall ... but they never mention the G. I thought the G uses a lot of the same parts as these other classes?

If this is a official recall, will it also show up on the CARFAX reports?

-----------

Dutch, you read the FT? [8D]

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
TheDogsCar - 4/2/2005 11:33 AM

I have read a few articles on this recall ... but they never mention the G. I thought the G uses a lot of the same parts as these other classes?

If this is a official recall, will it also show up on the CARFAX reports?

-----------

Dutch, you read the FT? [8D]
If I am correct, the G-Wagen uses a different alternator than the cars.

It makes me more and more happy that I have a G-Wagen that was built before Chrystler screwed everthing up!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts