Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered 8 lower seals for the injectors directly from the dealership. When I picked them up yesterday, 1 of the seals was missing a chunk.
Today my online order arrived, which included 8 Genuine Mercedes Fuel Injector Sleeves, 1 of which was missing the O-Ring.
So every time I order parts I have a 12.5 % chance of getting a defective part?

·
SuperModerator
13,274 Posts
Unfortunately, this last bastion of quality for parts seems to be going downhill a bit. We've heard of windscreens that don't fit and air conditioning pipes that don't even slightly fit. It's sad really.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ian, by a/c pipes do you mean the plastic ribbed tubing under the dash and the ducts under the console, or something in the engine compartment that leads to the interior?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I recall that a local Indie repair shop and I both got a notice a few months ago from MB that they were going to start offering a "more competitive" line of parts. I think we all know what that means. I wonder if, when we order parts, we will be given a choice to select the normal higher quality part or a value part.

(edit) The new line is called "Star" parts.

·
SuperModerator
13,274 Posts
Ian, by a/c pipes do you mean the plastic ribbed tubing under the dash and the ducts under the console, or something in the engine compartment that leads to the interior?
Malcolm bought a pipe that came through the bulkhead I think.

I recall that a local Indie repair shop and I both got a notice a few months ago from MB that they were going to start offering a "more competitive" line of parts. I think we all know what that means. I wonder if, when we order parts, we will be given a choice to select the normal higher quality part or a value part.

(edit) The new line is called "Star" parts.
Oh no, I hadn't heard this 😔

·
Registered
23 Posts
As long as they actually state 'star' at least you know what not to buy.

I mentioned elsewhere, I just bought new genuine Mercedes radiator hoses and of the 3, only one actually says Mercedes, and all 3 seemed thinner than the originals on the car.

·
Registered
396 Posts
As long as they actually state 'star' at least you know what not to buy.

I mentioned elsewhere, I just bought new genuine Mercedes radiator hoses and of the 3, only one actually says Mercedes, and all 3 seemed thinner than the originals on the car.
This has me concerned--I'm having a top-end engine rebuild and all "Genuine" parts are being used, but I'll have to trust that they'll hold up!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Here is a pic of the new Starparts option vs OEM MB parts.
Star Parts pic.JPG

·
Registered
23 Posts
Drew that sounds amazing. I don't think I'd worry about it too much though, I suspect a lot of engine parts will be kinda NOS in their system, hopefully, while stuff like hoses has a pretty steady turnover. There's how important the part in question is too, I'd hope.

I'd love to hear their internal discussions on what to do with each part... 'we can cheap out xxx, but we'd better keep yyy as OEM', that kind of thing.

·
SuperModerator
13,274 Posts
If there's a clear difference in naming/branding as per the picture shared, and original quality is still available, maybe its a good thing.

Weren't URO in talks with MB about producing something....

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I think what is going on is there are several OEM manufacturers who make parts for MB (let's face it - MB probably outsources most all of their parts manufacturing). I think (hope) that the "Starparts" brand represents private label parts that are identical to what is supplied to MB. For example, Bosch makes MB wiper blades. They add the MB star and maybe a slight design tweak and you have MB branded parts. Take away the star symbol and you have essentially the same part at a lower price point. Pagid brake pads, Behr cooling parts, Bosch spark plugs - private label parts are identical to MB parts - just without the star.

Looks to me like MB is going after sales made by Autohaus AZ, FCP Euro and other parts outlets who sell the private label parts that are identical to MB parts.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
star parts....so how do we knwo which are starparts vs genuine labeled parts (made by other companies)

i thought the star logo on the parts site was just because they didnt have a picture of it

·
SuperModerator
13,274 Posts
Mercedes used to have their own quality control on stuff like Bosch. Which is why MB Bosch was better than the normal Bosch. They took the cream of the crop of everything. Who's to say what happens now though.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,248 Posts
From way back, I remember Bosch owned repair / diagnostic centers like one in my German home town, focusing on their fuel injection systems, ignition, early electronics etc. They used to be the gold standard.

A Bosch branded ignition wire set I bought online some years back was disappointing with resistance all over the place right out of the box. Likely the last Bosch wire set I'll buy.
BERU has been taken over by another multi national a few years ago. Let's hope they keep a closer eye on quality control.

Some years ago I was happy to have scored a set of Bosch W9DCO spark plugs (O = larger copper electrode)..
They had made in India on them, and one of the porcelain insulators literally came apart. Later sets made in Spain, Poland, Czech Rep were good.

Everyone is told those plugs are NLA / are not being made anymore and so forth, so when the parts guy has a stash listed with an internal code (not Bosch W9DCO for M116/17 or H9DCO for M103) for a simple copper core spark plug they can charge outrageous prices. As far as I know, they are still making small production runs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts