Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300TE
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, Went to dealership to pick up my gallon of yellow and they gave me blue. He then showed me a bulletin released by Mercedes saying that they were phasing the yellow stuff out and this was the new phosphate free coolant and it is compatible with yellow. I said no thanks and went to get a gallon 0f G-05. Right now, I want it one color. Maybe next flush, switch to blue. I know when I had my old 95 E34 BMW, the BMW blue stuff was great and used it all the time. Oh well, just an update. Thoughts?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,723 Posts
I have very pleasant experience with the pee -colored coolant as I prize it for allowing me to run our diesels with no engine fans in 100F weather. That save you fuel money in case you wonder....
I just pick up MB coolant from indy warehouse and they did have the blue stuff, but gave me 4 bottles of pee.
I have good confidence in MB stuff, but they did several ops in last years introducing new products, so I would wait for somebody else to test blue stuff.
Any volunteers?

·
Registered
1996, A124, E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
1,555 Posts
Had it in one of mine since new - 1996 no problem. We cannot get anything else here in NZL through the Dealerships.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,400 Posts
Nobody on this board that I'm aware of (me included), is having any problems substituting Zerex G-05 antifreeze/coolant for any factory MB brew.

Kevin

·
Registered
1771 Cugnot Steam Wagen
472 Posts
I haven't used MB's coolant besides the yellow. But I'm positive they test it on engines before distributing to dealers. If it did do something "terrible" make them fix the damage.

·
Registered
36,723 Posts
Nobody on this board that I'm aware of (me included), is having any problems substituting Zerex G-05 antifreeze/coolant for any factory MB brew.

Kevin
Some members using Zerex report that their cars driven in mild climates get hot even with fans running at full speeds.
I use MB coolant and drive our diesels at 100+F with engine fans removed.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,400 Posts
Some members using Zerex report that their cars driven in mild climates get hot even with fans running at full speeds.
I use MB coolant and drive our diesels at 100+F with engine fans removed.
You should substantiate that claim by having actual members report here who have used Zerex-instead of hearsay. It wouldn't make sense if that happened in mild climates and not hot climates like Phoenix. Ask Robert what he uses.....

Kevin

·
Banned
1991 560sl / 1987 300TDT / 1995 E300D / 1994 S350D / 1993 300SD /Cummins Diesel PU /2 airplanes
861 Posts
You should substantiate that claim by having actual members report here who have used Zerex-instead of hearsay. It wouldn't make sense if that happened in mild climates and not hot climates like Phoenix. Ask Robert what he uses.....

Kevin
I don't believe that on a 107+ Deg day in rush hour stop and go traffic, AC on, you can run a MB diesel without a fan for very long. Zerex G-05 antifreeze/coolant works well for me in the 95 E300D. I have MB fluid in the S350D and that works fine too. Pure water would transfer heat better, but there's a big downside to that. ;)

·
Banned
1993 400E
7,361 Posts
!st, G-05 & G-48 is in the list of approved coolants for MB, spec 325.0.

2nd, here's the bulleten........

SUBJECT: DEALER TECHNICAL BULLETIN 28/99

28/99-1 RECALLS AND SERVICE CAMPAIGNS: WHEN REPAIRING ANY VEHICLE, ALWAYS CHECK THE VEHICLE MASTER INQUIRY FOR OPEN CAMPAIGNS

28/99-2 GROUP 20 - ALL PASSENGER CAR MODELS, COOLANT: For your information, recently the factory started using TWO kinds of engine coolant anti-freeze. The original one is tinted yellowish and the new one is tinted bluish. Both coolant anti-freezes are compatible with each other.

H. Polz, Service Engineering

HPdg 6-8-99

·
Registered
36,723 Posts
I don't believe that on a 107+ Deg day in rush hour stop and go traffic, AC on, you can run a MB diesel without a fan for very long. Zerex G-05 antifreeze/coolant works well for me in the 95 E300D. I have MB fluid in the S350D and that works fine too. Pure water would transfer heat better, but there's a big downside to that. ;)
You missed my reply in other topic. I had our W210 driven at 102-105F in city traffic and with no engine fan the engine went to 95C. When I stop the car at Home Depot and left it idling with AC on the temperature dropped to 92C while I check the electric fans running on slow. At 70mph on freeway it was 78-80C.
I am still in process of testing another W210 that I bought a week ago. Come with green coolant :eek: and while driven in 90F the engine was steady at 90C. First thing I did at home is to flush the system and put pee stuff. So far I drove it in 95F and the engine did not exceed 85C. The fan clutch seems shot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts