Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I am super excited to finally be driving my E350 BlueTec, I was quite happy to see that the E350 is one of the MB nominees for 2011 Diesel Car of the Year.

Since the winner will be determined by online voting we need to make sure MB gets a good showing of support.

You can vote here.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
"The diesel tops out at 4500 rpm, but that’s fairly typical for an oil burner"
The author didn't know much about diesels?
Most of the diesels redline in the 4000 rpm range, while the bigger diesel seldom turn much above 3000. Guessing if 200 lb weigh makes a difference in acceleration? What was it? 7th grade physics?
I did drive 320cdi for a year and consider the 2005 model a technological marvel. I did own almost all popular MB diesels sold in US in last 25 years ;)
How the 350 Bluetec is better? The 320 Bluetec was not reaching the mpg the 320cdi did.

·
Registered
36,707 Posts
Nope. No matter my devotion to MB living in US - I followed the links about BMW diesels.
Those are really impressive.
Too bad we can't buy those excellent vehicles in USA.
Have whole month to make my mind ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope. No matter my devotion to MB living in US - I followed the links about BMW diesels.
Those are really impressive.
Too bad we can't buy those excellent vehicles in USA.
Have whole month to make my mind ;)
I agree although we can get the 335d in the U.S. (I have a friend who has one and it is really amazing)

·
Registered
36,707 Posts
What the 335d cost in US? Still not available in CA.
What cough my attention was article on 320d.
The 142 mph car, that makes 57 mpg sure is something I wouldn't mind owning, especially knowing that those models are not really expensive.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bimmer did tried 524TD during the mid 80s for a few yrs, and equipped that engine in Lincoln Contirentals. I guess it never hit the critical mass as to keep bringing them here.

I dont know the reliability of these new BMW oil burners. I once bought a 1980 Volvo 6 cyl diesel and it turned out to be a real lemon.
BMW dsl do crank out more HP, is it going to be good time but not long time?
Unlike Mercs' 300D turbo engine they're tough as nails. They were running it at 200hp in the C111 test mule, but day in day out they detuned to 120 HP.
So as we all know buying dsl are for longevity, even newer mercs werent as cracked up to be, the 350sdl i dont think too many folks wanted to buy them used.
Nobody knew why they were rod throwers.
Some say the inline 6 dsl were better than the v6, as reason the v6 can fit in the ML w 163 body.
Bluetec has not been out very long so cant comment. And what price are the bluetec when u ran out, they say is a dealer service item, they sell and install it for u.
what the price? as i am asking i know i cant afford it.

·
Registered
36,707 Posts
Comparing diesels from 1980's to today's is like comparing oil changes 3000 and spark plugs at 10k to today's cars requiring first tune up at 100k and even that is a stretch.
You are right Mark, I found new 350d at local dealers, but have never seen one on the street. At 55 grands not really a daily commuter.
Funny part about 90% of 200+ adds use stock photo of red cars. Would that mean they advertise cars they don't have on the floor? ;)

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,110 Posts
Kajtek1;4465098How the 350 Bluetec is better? The 320 Bluetec was not reaching the mpg the 320cdi did.[/QUOTE said:
It's got more power and probably more importantly is fitted to the 7-speed automatic versus the older 5-speed. The mpg difference is negligible.

I've owned both, and as is VERY usual with Mercedes, newer is better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Comparing diesels from 1980's to today's is like comparing oil changes 3000 and spark plugs at 10k to today's cars requiring first tune up at 100k and even that is a stretch.
You are right Mark, I found new 350d at local dealers, but have never seen one on the street. At 55 grands not really a daily commuter.
Funny part about 90% of 200+ adds use stock photo of red cars. Would that mean they advertise cars they don't have on the floor? ;)
I think you mean 335d...

So do you think MB will win Car of the Year? Everyone here vote?

·
Registered
36,707 Posts
I think you mean 335d...

So do you think MB will win Car of the Year? Everyone here vote?
My error -thanks for correction.
The vote is for DIESEL car of the year. In US MB basically has no competition, but in the rest of the World you can find lot of competition for 1/2 of the price, like Ford Focus 1.9 cdi.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The vote is for DIESEL car of the year. In US MB basically has no competition, but in the rest of the World you can find lot of competition for 1/2 of the price, like Ford Focus 1.9 cdi.
I hope you are right but, just to be sure, we better get people here to vote!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts