Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SLK 230
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to say hello to everyone.

I recently purchased my first Mercedes Benz, a 2003 SLK 230 and I am loving it. I think I got a really good deal. I bought it on EBAY for $21,500 USD. I had to fly down to Texas to pick it up from the reseller that had bought it at an auction for $20,500 USD. I drove it back last week from Huston to Northern California. It took me two days to get back... (1800 miles). I had to pay a little bit in taxes to California, but it's still worth it I think, and definitly a big step up from my previous car (hyundai accent).

One question (and yes I searched...) where in the heck is the oil filter cartridge located. Also, is it ok to use standard oil, or does it have to be full synthetic?

Anyway, here are some pictures... let me know what you all think!

·
Registered
2008 ML350; 2001 SLK230 (traded in)
1,006 Posts
Congrats! Very nice car, enjoy!

The oil filter is located under that black plastic engine cover (just pull it straight up) to the right of the gray metal cover with the MB 3 pointer on it.

Use Mobil 1, other folks will reply with the exact type (can't recall off the top of my head).

·
Registered
98 Slk230
231 Posts
WTTC - I'd love to take that ride from Houston to CA in my SLK...

Your car's interior looks nice and the price is a steal for a 2003. The updated steering wheel and silver carbon fiber look a lot better than the 98 model. Sorry can't help you with the oil filter, my car's engine is a little different. However, check under the black plastic cover to the right of the oil cap (towards the front of the car). The filter is enclosed in a black plastic cylinder shape enclosure.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
Nice car! Great price!

Use full synthetic oil. Mobil 4 0w40 European Formula. However, you don't need to change it as often. The FSS will tell you when it's time -- a wrench symbol will appear on your odometer display. Doing it more often than this is a waste of money.

With regards to the filter, I don't know since I have a V6, but I'd guess it's under that shroud at the right front. These cars don't use spin-on filters; they use cartridge filters which fit in a housing -- you'll know the top of the housing when you see it.

·
Registered
C2D SLK32K
514 Posts
Kirill said:
clean car. IF you got warranty left - awesome deal.

Thats first thing I was thinking.....man its clean.....good job!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts