Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends, I am considering buying an ML55 which I hear has ECU problem, and it's so cheap... In thinking of things I will do I am also looking at some maintenance, like the fuel pump, plugs, etc.

My questions please...

1. A seller on eBay has said he can unlock the ECU he advertised to work with any ML 55, is this possible? So essentially, he can disable the immobilizer. Hm! Your thoughts... If this is possible then it's great for me... I have 2 I'm looking at, any I can afford.

2. Another eBay seller has this advertised:

Does anyone recognize this? The seller says it's the main pump, this looks nothing like the w163 fuel assembly, but this looks portable and easier, I don't see a level sender. Please someone help me identify this. If you know it, is the electric pump inside it the standard pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don’t know enough about the ecu Especially disabling it. I have heard Many members when they have such issues have swapped out everything that goes with the whole system from a pick a part lot.

As to the fuel pump why do you think it needs replacing? If so Just buy a new one from a reputable seller they start at about 150 for name brand units.

More important is probably the fuel filter they can run. About 100.00.

Also important is

Center drive shaft support bearing
Engine mounts.
Transmission mounts
Differential bushings

Those rubber items start to wear at this age.

Who many miles on it?

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Have you forgotten the traffic in Lagos? In that type of traffic you will be using 20-22 litres(if not more) of petrol per 100km.
Unlocking ECU? What do you mean? ECU can be reflashed if there is a software issue. If its a hardware issue no one can do anything.
That is not a ML55 pump or part of the pump. 55 pump looks exactly like any other W163 pump. The motor inside is made by Bosch. It is longer than the one in the picture & it is not situated at the same position as the motor in the picture.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t know enough about the ecu Especially disabling it. I have heard Many members when they have such issues have swapped out everything that goes with the whole system from a pick a part lot.

As to the fuel pump why do you think it needs replacing? If so Just buy a new one from a reputable seller they start at about 150 for name brand units.

More important is probably the fuel filter they can run. About 100.00.

Also important is

Center drive shaft support bearing
Engine mounts.
Transmission mounts
Differential bushings

Those rubber items start to wear at this age.

Who many miles on it?
Thank you so much! I think mileage is around 160k. Here we have a lot of very fake pumps so I'm almost certain one of those are in the car now. I will just go for the regular pump. I also saw oem filters yes...

I will be planning for those items you have listed. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you forgotten the traffic in Lagos? In that type of traffic you will be using 20-22 litres(if not more) of petrol per 100km.
Unlocking ECU? What do you mean? ECU can be reflashed if there is a software issue. If its a hardware issue no one can do anything.
That is not a ML55 pump or part of the pump. 55 pump looks exactly like any other W163 pump. The motor inside is made by Bosch. It is longer than the one in the picture & it is not situated at the same position as the motor in the picture.
Mr Art.. Thanks for the input.. It's the same, I had to look at EPC and saw its the same pump. The seller wouldn't even give any answer beyond 8 words.

Good thing I have 2 spare working Bosch electric pumps (electric unit only), I can rig one into the assembly.

I'm in Abuja actually... And it's going to be a backup kind of car, A few weekends we can enjoy it's power, other days it's for picking the kids, 2 minutes away... And why an ML? The roads are bad brother, real bad... it's really cheap, but i still thought of that and you are making that thought even amplify... Also the Mercedes man in me wants to just have at least one AMG, I have read this engine, in this ml, the c55, clk55 are the most reliable AMGs, naturally aspirated.

If you have any further warnings or common issues known ...please share.

Thank you sooo much Art!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts