Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes ML500 Special edition
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am wondering if you can simply bolt on the Kompressor from other V8 models with this same engine?

I can't find any details at all online regarding this but as its the same engine I would assume this is possible without much modifications apart from tuning, fuel/air flow sensors etc

Any advice much appreciated!

·
Registered
Mercedes ML500 Special edition
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just starting this project but with an ml500 w163 late 05 model, using standard SLC500 ECU (high tune EU) same exact block, heads etc - I prefer Mercedes tuned ECU as they have done the work already and tested it for retail sales with measured 500hp compared to HPS or any other after market race tech needing complete programming (many issues from fuel air flow sensors on after market ECU some taking 3 years to tune = no)
I'm bolting in 55k 'Kompressor', manifold, intercooler etc, custom inlet and exhaust components from SLC500
The ML500 already has the stronger 5 speed auto so its a perfect project as its as close to bolt on performance as you can get

Interested in anyone's opinion but particularly experience with these engines

I'll set up a page with progress maybe a little youtube

Amazing barely anyone has done this yet!

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350 2005 ml350 SE
2,605 Posts
Probably because:

With this and similar projects, there are people that think of doing it (10% of ml owners)

People. that do it (.001% ml owners)

People that want someone else to do it first successfully ( .01))

Oh there are those that start a project like this tell of there plans and we never hear how the story ends. That includes a member who stated he had unlimited resources.

Not exactly sure which year SL_you are working with another reason could be finding
Used components, as so few were made the needed components are probably harder to find.

Good luck keep us posted. I do mean that it be a interesting journey to follow!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
You asked wh
So basically you have nothing to add? Thanks for the negative comment they are a plenty !
If referring to my post you pointed out that you found it

“Amazing barely anyone has done this yet!”

I only gave an opinion as to why I though it so…
Part availability and people not wanting to be the Guinea pig.

Did not in anyway give any thoughts on feasibility. In fact I even told you that I would follow your journey!

I was only responding to one sentence of a post that is all nothing more. There was absolute nothing in my comment that was meant to be negative.

You made it sound as tough you sourced and have secured all the parts already. I asked what year were they from in order to clarify and have others chime in , to have a hearty discussion.

As to a side note I also own a 1990 Mazda 626dx if sold down under might of gone by a different name. Only has 140k miles on it. No OBDII very simple, to read the very limited codes (12 or so) one plugs an led bulb into a socket in the engine compartment and reads the Morse code of blinking lights.

Why do I even mention it? Something like 4 % came turbo charged. I thought if I ever came across one at the yard it be a fun swap. Then watched a video on said swap and became a 10 precenter very quickly.

The 2.2 five speed manual is just fine still a kick to drive, low to the ground. But that is why I got the 05 ml as years pasted more and more heavier suv and pickups and idiot drivers on our roads did not want my daughter squashed like a bug in the 626.

Go forward and be a .001%er as said I will follow your journey!

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
12,794 Posts
Merged your other post you made on an old post, to your recent post on the same topic.

Welcome to BW.
If you could kindly,
Complete your BW registration profile so members may better assist you, seeing and knowing what you drive.
Goto your ===> user CP profile====> click on your icon (top right corner of the webpage) ----> then click on "Account Settings"----> goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR (i.e. 01 ml320) into your Profile ----> click save.
YOUR vehicle info will then show/display under your username & avatar (on the left side) once it is completed.
Members will then see your avatar car info & know what you drive if replying.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Google something like this
Benzworld w163 ml (insert one word of choice ….supercharger, turbo charger, kleinmann, turbo or headers)

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2017 C43 AMG,1929 Victory 6 roadster, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
6,209 Posts
Just starting this project but with an ml500 w163 late 05 model, using standard SLC500 ECU (high tune EU) same exact block, heads etc - I prefer Mercedes tuned ECU as they have done the work already and tested it for retail sales with measured 500hp compared to HPS or any other after market race tech needing complete programming (many issues from fuel air flow sensors on after market ECU some taking 3 years to tune = no)
I'm bolting in 55k 'Kompressor', manifold, intercooler etc, custom inlet and exhaust components from SLC500
The ML500 already has the stronger 5 speed auto so its a perfect project as its as close to bolt on performance as you can get

Interested in anyone's opinion but particularly experience with these engines

I'll set up a page with progress maybe a little youtube

I was always very keen to do this but never got around to it.
I think if you have a donor engine it could be done. The only issues I can foresee are fuel delivery and the clutch for the supercharger coming on and off at the correct time. I’m not good on the computer stuff so that would be difficult for me.

·
Registered
1998 Franken-ML, 2002 ML55
818 Posts
The only big, burning question I have about the supercharger swap is that factory supercharged (or turbocharged) engines tend to have lower compression ratios than their naturally aspirated siblings, and sometimes stronger internal parts to take the extra abuse. I have no idea if the M113K has anything different in the short block or heads compared to the NA AMG 5.5L M113, but it’s something I’d want to verify before simply bolting the supercharger on top and wiring up the clutch. An engine tune that expects a 9.5:1 compression ratio running into an engine built for an 11.5:1 compression ratio (not actual numbers, just for illustration) will likely either error out, never engage the supercharger clutch, or do something with catastrophic (but potentially entertaining on YouTube) results.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG. 2011 BMW 335d
8,312 Posts
What are you going to do about the compression? M113k has 9:1 compression ratio, NA variant have 10.5:1 and some versions have 11:1.

If you're using factory ME2.8.1 ECU from any M113k engine, you'll blow out the headgasket or pistons due to knock. Factory SC operates around 0.9 bar, which is high enough to cause knock and pre-detonation.

M113k also has forged pistons and forged cranks to supplement the increased boost.

·
Registered
1998 Franken-ML, 2002 ML55
818 Posts
What are you going to do about the compression? M113k has 9:1 compression ratio, NA variant have 10.5:1 and some versions have 11:1.

If you're using factory ME2.8.1 ECU from any M113k engine, you'll blow out the headgasket or pistons due to knock. Factory SC operates around 0.9 bar, which is high enough to cause knock and pre-detonation.

M113k also has forged pistons and forged cranks to supplement the increased boost.
It’s nice to know my assumption was correct.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bonjour à tous,

Je me demande si vous pouvez simplement boulonner le Kompressor à partir d'autres modèles V8 avec ce même moteur ?

Je ne trouve aucun détail en ligne à ce sujet, mais comme c'est le même moteur, je suppose que cela est possible sans beaucoup de modifications en dehors du réglage, des capteurs de débit de carburant/air, etc.

Tout conseil très apprécié!
[/DEVIS]
compresseur amg and fic 8

Attachments

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
12,794 Posts
Kindly post in the english language. This is a NA forum.
Cheers.

Please read before posting to familiarize yourself with this forum:

If you could do all the potential readers a favor,
Please complete your BW registration profile
so members may better assist you, seeing and knowing what you drive.
Goto your ===> user CP profile====> click on your icon (top right corner of the webpage) ----> then click on "Account Settings"----> goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR (i.e. 01 ml320) into your Profile ----> (MUST) click save at the bottom of that page.
YOUR vehicle info will then show/display under your username & avatar
(on the left side) once it is completed. If it doesn't display under your Avatar, it wasn't saved.
Members will then see your avatar AND your car info & know what you drive, if replying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello ! yes it is possible to put an AMG supercharger on a 500 block it is perfect you have to cut the attachment of the air compressor be careful !! you must have the water pump and the engine pulley for the AFR adjustment I added an AEMFIC8 to adjust everything and I put 2 mafs on the hose I will take some pictures if necessary but doable without great difficulty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts