Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320; engine number 30 633407; last 6 VIN 172300
363 Posts
The 320 brakes are not the same as those on the 500 though. Check out the most recent comment on the video, I actually asked him about this a week ago or so.

·
Registered
2004 ML350, 1999 C230K, 1991 300SEL
502 Posts
I'm not doing it any time soon but i believe he said on the comments page he had to take the caliper off because he was doing the rotors too... So is just the pads the same procedure?

·
Registered
2004 ML500,Sport; 2014 ML550; 2009 ACURA TSX
878 Posts
common steps missing, Use old toothbrush to clean brake durst and use compress air to blow them off. Make sure to use correct breathing equipment/mask while cleaning brake durst.
JM

·
Registered
2004 ML350
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are the best brake pads out there to use? I'm thinking about these?
Front
Mercedes ML-Class Genuine Front Brake Pad Set,Pads w/Sensor ML320 ML350 ML430 | eBay
Rear
Mercedes ML-Class Genuine Rear Brake Pad Set,Pads w/Sensor ML320 ML350 ML430 | eBay
What else should I replace in my brake system at 58k?
Those brake pads are genuine oem pads so they are perfect and they come with all the necessary hardware.I think its the same kind of procedure for the ML320s too you just need that tool to push the caliper piston back i remember the mechanic when i did the front pads he used a hammer to push the piston back.

·
Registered
'02 ML500 (Kleeman headers, tune, AMG ML55 wheels,3.09 diffs, 3rd row seats);
272 Posts
you just need that tool to push the caliper piston back i remember the mechanic when i did the front pads he used a hammer to push the piston back.
A hammer? Ouch.

If you don't have a piston retraction tool, (most pro mechanics have this, a set is not an expensive tool, Matco Tools Rear Wheel Disc Brake Piston Tool = DB25 | eBay, for example), you can CAREFULLY pry the piston back using a screwdriver and the old pad (before you remove it, so the leverage is against the caliper housing and the pad itself and not the piston). Hammering a piston is a recipe for disaster. If that was an approved procedure, no one would ever need a piston retraction tool. Just IMHO.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2004 ML350
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A hammer? Ouch.

If you don't have a piston retraction tool, (most pro mechanics have this, a set is not an expensive tool, Matco Tools Rear Wheel Disc Brake Piston Tool = DB25 | eBay, for example), you can CAREFULLY pry the piston back using a screwdriver and the old pad (before you remove it, so the leverage is against the caliper housing and the pad itself and not the piston). Hammering a piston is a recipe for disaster. If that was an approved procedure, no one would ever need a piston retraction tool. Just IMHO.

Regards,
Jerry
No lol he didnt hit the piston with the hammer he used the wood end of the hammer to push it in it just took 5 seconds

1 - 10 of 10 Posts