Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes 300E, 106500 original miles
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, does anybody know why they only made one key to open the trunk? It's so strange! Also, has anybody tried to install a trunk opening kit to their car?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you figure out how to open your trunk, put that bra in there.
That is on there to hide some accident damaged parts in the front that came when I bought the car.

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
One key, what are you talking about? There's the square head key that works on everything -- doors, glove box, trunk, and ignition. Then there's the oval head "valet" key that won't fit in the glove box lock and, while it works in the trunk lock, it won't open a dead-bolted trunk.
Read the owners manual -- it's described in there.
I like that green color. I just missed an 88 TE in that color with mushroom leather and orthopaedic seats. Expensive but very low miles. Oh well.
When you get the trunk open put the chromed wheel arch trim in there too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
One key, what are you talking about? There's the square head key that works on everything -- doors, glove box, trunk, and ignition. Then there's the oval head "valet" key that won't fit in the glove box lock and, while it works in the trunk lock, it won't open a dead-bolted trunk.
Read the owners manual -- it's described in there.
I like that green color. I just missed an 88 TE in that color with mushroom leather and orthopaedic seats. Expensive but very low miles. Oh well.
When you get the trunk open put the chromed wheel arch trim in there too.

Ok, I *can* open the trunk door, I only asked why one key could open the trunk. So, you did answer that thank you. I *just* got this car, so yes it didn't come with a manual.

Thank you about the colors, I like it too. Mushroom would have been better than palomino. It's a tad too light for me, but luckily being so light, they are close to mint condition. Those arches are original, and I like them.

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,921 Posts
Ok,

Those arches are original, and I like them.
Those chrome arches are not original MB part. Also, most people (specially on this site) would rather see a dent than a bra on an MB.

Anyway welcome to the forum. But, be prepared and accept the fact that you are in a forum of "car guys." So, expect straight talk about cars and don't expect to be address as Ms, honey, baby and etc.

Stay awhile and you'll know what I'm talking about. And if you are brave enough go visit "Off topic".

Ed

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see what you mean, A trunk release arm/handle.:)

You are correct! I don't know if they're possible in this car. Since you have to have a smart key, and the turn and push in the trunk lock.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,978 Posts
I just installed an aftermarket keyless entry, so I unlock my car and push the trunk lock to open.

Edit: BTW, In your signature says that your car has 106300 miles but your profile on the left says 106200 miles, which one is correct??
Hope you can push 250,000 as mine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those chrome arches are not original MB part. Also, most people (specially on this site) would rather see a dent than a bra on an MB.

Anyway welcome to the forum. But, be prepared and accept the fact that you are in a forum of "car guys." So, expect straight talk about cars and don't expect to be address as Ms, honey, baby and etc.

Stay awhile and you'll know what I'm talking about. And if you are brave enough go visit "Off topic".

Ed
Really? Dang, I was just going by what I was told. They looked like they belonged on the car. I may change those out to thinner black ones, because the poor front left quarter panel's trim is pretty beat up. Also, it's not just a dent, the front quarter headlight are is messed up, the bumper is askew and the headlights are pretty pushed in. My guy is going to be looking into taking apart that headlight assembly to see what we can do to correct it. I really kick myself for not finding a car that had an easier color to find part-wise and replace.

I like it though in every other aspect. I am trying to appreciate the inner beauty of the car, and hopefully this summer bring it out to the exterior. Someone at one time really loved it, and I bought it from a Russian guy, who owned it for only a month. I could tell he abused the holy-heck out of it, when he had it. :crybaby2:

Thank you very much, and I will check out off "topic soon"! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
Congratulations on being a female, but I'm a firm believer in equal rights. You want equal pay, you get equal abuse along with it. Not that I think I was abusing you. I genuinely don't know what you mean by one key. You are, apparently, coming from "Big Three" land where there is one key for doors and ignition and another for trunk and glove box. Or one key for doors, glove box and trunk and another for the ignition only.
Well that's just not the way that MBZ or BMW or Volvo or _______ do it. Just because.
The owners manual *will* explain the subtleties of the keys and locks on your car, especially the very useful deadbolting of the trunk lid. So *do* read about it.
And, as someone else said, the wheel arches are most definitely not original equipment. Please make them go away.
Getting any better driving an import in Detroit? When I was doing contract work for GM 10 or 15 years ago I saw a mob overturn and burn a VW Golf at the Hydramatic plant in Ypsilanti. Yikes!
As for green color, it *is* an unusual one. I don't understand why since it was a good one. In my experience the most commonly seen colors are white, black, dark blue, and smoke silver. Greens and reds are seldom seen as is the beautiful light turquoise metallic. Too bad.

·
Registered
30 Posts
haha i have 3 keys aswell
one for doors+glove. one for trunk and glove and a small one for ignition : x it sucks having to carry 3 keys around but o well. and i hate how you have to arm the alarm from the trunk : x rofl
o yea btw the green color is niceee. it looks very cleann

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just installed an aftermarket keyless entry, so I unlock my car and push the trunk lock to open.

Edit: BTW, In your signature says that your car has 106300 miles but your profile on the left says 106200 miles, which one is correct??
Hope you can push 250,000 as mine.
Oh, that's a great idea!!! Was it hard installing the keyless entry?

Thank you for pointing that out! I meant to put 106,300. I bought it cross-state with around 106,100 so I racked up couple hundred driving it back. I sure hope so Hamada, I owned a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme before. I was convinced that car tried to kill me every opportunity it had. So this is my "first car" that I have bought, and I am terribly proud of! It is a real gem to drive. :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congratulations on being a female, but I'm a firm believer in equal rights. You want equal pay, you get equal abuse along with it. Not that I think I was abusing you. I genuinely don't know what you mean by one key. You are, apparently, coming from "Big Three" land where there is one key for doors and ignition and another for trunk and glove box. Or one key for doors, glove box and trunk and another for the ignition only.
Well that's just not the way that MBZ or BMW or Volvo or _______ do it. Just because.
The owners manual *will* explain the subtleties of the keys and locks on your car, especially the very useful deadbolting of the trunk lid. So *do* read about it.
And, as someone else said, the wheel arches are most definitely not original equipment. Please make them go away.
Getting any better driving an import in Detroit? When I was doing contract work for GM 10 or 15 years ago I saw a mob overturn and burn a VW Golf at the Hydramatic plant in Ypsilanti. Yikes!
As for green color, it *is* an unusual one. I don't understand why since it was a good one. In my experience the most commonly seen colors are white, black, dark blue, and smoke silver. Greens and reds are seldom seen as is the beautiful light turquoise metallic. Too bad.
I plan on getting the manual.

I didn't mean you in particular, there was a rude troll on here [in this thread].

I may get smaller black arches, the left front arch is fairly crumpled.

The guy that sold me the car only gave me two keys to the car.

I lived near that plant, but luckily I live in Ann Arbor, MI aka 5-miles away. The roads have gotten so horrendous, it's unbelievable! Another reason to have the bra, the asphalt is broken up into major chunks, and it can fly up from the road.

Stupidly I didn't think about the replacement parts, when I bought it. If I have to live with the mangled parts, so be it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
haha i have 3 keys aswell
one for doors+glove. one for trunk and glove and a small one for ignition : x it sucks having to carry 3 keys around but o well. and i hate how you have to arm the alarm from the trunk : x rofl
o yea btw the green color is niceee. it looks very cleann
I was only given two keys, a smart key and valet key. That is why I was so confused at why my only key worked for everything. I had NO clue you set the alarm from the trunk, that it nuts haha!

Thank you, I agree. I really had my heart set on a pewter or a black color. This color-combo is just so sharp and unique, so I fell for it. It really isn't in too bad condition for it's age. I have seen cars less than five years old with more wear and rust than this car has.

·
Registered
30 Posts
some black tint would make it look cleannnnn : ).
on my 300e when I first got it. It didnt have any tint then I got the windows tinted and boyyyy did it freshen it up : )

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
some black tint would make it look cleannnnn : ).
on my 300e when I first got it. It didnt have any tint then I got the windows tinted and boyyyy did it freshen it up : )

It is somewhat tinted, but I am pretty sure Michigan you will get pulled over with tinted windows. They're very strict around here, it has to be super-light unless you have a note from the Dr. stating you have a serious vision problem.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts