Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am student marketing and a long time mercedes fan. Got my first kick during my first ride in my uncles Mercedes-Benz R107. Unbelievable experience.

Right now, i am completing my masters degree in marketing, and I finally got the possibility to research a topic that has been on my mind for a long time. The image of Mercedes. In the Netherlands, some people see mercedes as kind of an obnoxious car to drive. It's one of the cars that get's keyed the most. How it got this far is something i have been researching for half a year now, but now i want to take my research international. For this, i would like to ask some mercedes drivers from around the world a single question (how do people look at mercedes in: *enter your country here*), but i wanted to ask the forum's permission first before spreeing my ammo on the wrong topic.

I was told that i could ask the question on this forum. So here we go; what is the overall image of Mercedes in your home country?

I thank you in advance for your answer!

Niels
University of Amsterdam

·
Registered
CLK 270 2003
41 Posts
English Mercedes Image.

In England, Mercedes is regarded as a quality prestige car. I suppose in certain areas jealousy might attract the type of twat who would "key" a car. God I hate that type of mindless vandalism. I am pretty carefully about where I leave my car, no problems to date.

·
Registered
CLK 270 2003
41 Posts
English Mercedes Image.

In England, Mercedes is regarded as a quality prestige car. I suppose in certain areas jealousy might attract the type of twat who would "key" a car. God I hate that type of mindless vandalism. I am pretty carefully about where I leave my car, no problems to date.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In NYC, the people who care about money and appearance seem to value the brand's prestige. Also OCD people, ones who have to have everything letter-perfect, and or best-of-class in their lives, aspire to owning one. But since I got a used one, I've had 2 or 3 of my more bohemian friends (I'm a rock musician) tell me, "I didn't think you were a Flash Person and that's a Flash Car" or "I didn't figure you for the Mercedes type." An implied looking down on Benz owners. Is it the envy of wanna-be's? Maybe. Maybe not.
Like everything in The States, it seems people are polarized into 2 antagonistic groups, the Benz lovers and the Benz haters. And I'm in the middle! - Politics, brand recognition, economics-both real and imagined (I paid less for this 2003 E320 than I paid for the '96 960 Volvo wagon I got in 2003...)

I think of all these 'factions', your motivation, that you had a great great ride in one as a young person, is the purest and most admirable!
Hope this helps your research a bit.:)

PS. I bought a Benz wagon, thinking it would be the closest upgrade to my powerful but aging Volvo. It's an awesome machine. More different than I expected it would be. But I have a respect for it that grows each day, and sometimes I drive it, not because I have to get from Pt.A to Pt.B, but just for the experience, something I NEVER did with the Volvo...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts