Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to this form but I am a mechanic by trade I have owned many BMWs and many Mercedes but this one here has a problem with the hardtop which seems to have more controls on it than anything I have ever seen I'm thinking about making it a manual top the top as far as working the latch is open and the trunk lifts but that's it I'm thinking about taking out all the Hydraulics all the cables and I'm wondering if anybody's ever done that at that point you should be able to open the latches in the trunk lid lift and push it manually into the trunk and now for my most famous question has anyone ever tried that?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Calepso: I have A 99 silk with 135 k on it and have had top trouble for the last ten years off and on. For the last 2, I have been operating my top manually. It certainly is an inconvenience not to have the hydraulics but I got used to it. I just leave the top down all Summer and park in the garage to keep interior from getting too hot l. If I need an enclosed cab or AC I just use my truck. Then, when Winter is upon us, I raise the top manually, lock it in place, and install the plexiglass rear quarter windows I made since the others wont raise without hydraulics. Not altogether a bad system. I have had 3 other convertibles that were manual tops and this system isn’t really much more difficult than those. I am going to try to rebuild the leaking roof cylinder this Winter to see if I can restore the hydraulic power. If it’s more than I can accomplish, Oh well, the car is 20 years old and manual isn’t that bad once you get the hang of it. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts