Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Mercedes GL450 - wipers, SRS, cigarette lighter and glove box light stopped working

10008 14
I got a nasty surprise from my Mercedes GL450. Suddenly, my front and rear wipers stopped working while washer system is working fine. In addition, I started getting SRS error. Then, I also found out that cigarette lighter and glove box light has no power anymore. It seems like all started at once. I did some investigation and still cannot find the the issues.

1. The wiper switch brings rear wiper icon on the instrument cluster while I engage it. It seems like the combo switch is still working.
2. I checked wiper on/off and 1/2 relays and they seems to be working properly. However, the wiper on/off relay does not click while it is in the fuse box. It works well outside fuse box when I feed it even with 9v battery.
3. I checked the voltage on the lines to the wiper on/off relay and found out that lines 85 - 86 get 4.5-5.2v only. However the line 30 and 87 get 12.
3. I connected directly 30 and 87 and wipers started to work.
4. I checked the front SAM on all actuations available and all of them work solid, except wipers.
5. Removed the front fuse box and checked all of тhе connections. All of them аrе in a great state.

Now, I am lost and not sure what is causing the issue. I still cannot solve the problem. Wipers do not work. The only finding is that one of the lines is getting 5v instead 12v. I also do not see the relationship between SRS, cigarette lighter and glove box light.

I am wondering if anyone has the same issue and were able to solve it. Any advice is highly appreciated. Thank you!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Still looking for the tips. Any help is highly appreciated.

Initially, I decided to replace the front SAM module to fix this issue since the only close pointer was to front SAM based on diagnostics with STAR. However, there was no a word about SRS error. Suddenly, everything started to work after a drive with a passenger on the front seat. I checked if the issues will come back with no passenger on the seat and it did, all issues got back. Then, I pushed hard on the front passenger seat cushion few times and error and all the issues gone. Now, I routed out the SAM as a problem.

Everything worked great for a couple of days and then it stopped working again. The first suspect was the seat sensors. Seat buckle seems to be working. At least, I don't see any unexpected errors on the dashboard. I removed the passenger seat out of the car and checked/cleaned everything there and was not able to find anything suspicious. Finally, I tested the weight system via STAR/DAS. All sensors communicate with STAR/DAS and provide the correct weight values. No issues reported. Now, I am sort of lost with this German engineered mystery. I just don't know what is the failure. I hope someone can help. Still looking for a clue. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not much help here, but I really want to help anyone who will struggle with the same issue.

I finally found what was the issue. It is all because of the faulty relay in rear SAM - (K) Circuit 15R relay with the part number Mercedes 002 542 2619. $10 part.

Ironically, the relay was working intermittently. As a result, I did much more work that I should be. I checked this part as the first step. During that time it worked. I hope it will save you a time and money.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It took me a while to diagnose correctly because the relay was working intermitently. At the end, I needed to find out what unites all of these components by looking at electrical diagrams from WIS. It could be few other things involved, including front SAM. I replaced the relay and all issues gone. I believe this can be true for other Mercedes models because they share a lot in electrical design.

·
Registered
7 Posts
vlad thank you for coming back and commenting on what the resolution was. I currently have an 09' GL450 that a week or so ago the wipers started working intermittently and then stopped in a good rain storm on the highway. As you can imagine that was a very scary situation with my family in the car. Anyways, I have taken the vehicle to a local indy that works on European cars and he has had the vehicle for a couple days now. He just called and informed me that the issue is that it needs a new front SAM module. He mentioned he was surprised that we didn't get any SRS errors on the dash as that generally points quickly to a SAM module.

He did mention upon his tests, the error code that was showing up in the diagnostic was a stuck motor BUT he said that he was not seeing the wiper signal becoming activated when turning the knob on the wiper stalk. The rear wiper works fine and 100% of the time when requested, it is only the front wipers that do not work anymore on any of the settings. The fuses checked out and the cluster (wiper stalk) checked out he said.

I have a feeling that since I have the stalk working fine, and no SRS errors that it may NOT be the SAM module but a relay like you had an issue with. I'll certainly test the theory with someone in the passenger seat, I don't believe I've had someone in the passenger seat when trying this other than the initial time they stopped working. While that's probably shooting in the dark, it is worth a try.

I'm not looking forward to spending the $1,000 to replace the front SAM module right off the bat without bouncing this off of a few people online. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It can be the issue with relays in the front fuse box. I believe one of them is relay# 101 on diagram but you should check for it. They were yellow in color on my car. There are 2 relays there, sitting next to each other, that are responsible for the wipers work. I would get all relays, including the one that affected my problem (relay with the part number Mercedes 002 542 2619) and replace them first. They are cheap and may fix the issue. Otherwise, it can be something else. I would start from here. Unfortunately, I did not do that myself and spent lot and lots of time and ended up replacing them anyway.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The attached is the front fuse box diagram. The relays you need to look for are A & B. Part number I believe it is 1645402501 but you need to verify.

Regarding what fixed for me is what I stated above - "I finally found what was the issue. It is all because of the faulty relay in rear SAM - (K) Circuit 15R relay with the part number Mercedes 002 542 2619. $10 part."

The diagram for the load compartment fuse and relay box is also attached. You should look for relay 'K" on that diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Vlad, I took the panel off in the rear today and it appears either my car has no K relay from the factory or the Indy removed it and didn't replace it.

I will say that my glovebox lights are working and my rear wiper works fine. It is just the front wipers that don't work period from any position on the stalk.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You also need to check the relays from the from SAM under the hood. There are two relays that may affect wipers. I provided information for Mercedes x164 (GL450). Is that what you are working on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just to reply as to my findings. Sadly enough I checked the fuse and it was blown. After all of this time I would have thought the indy would go there first but apparently now. I replaced the fuse and got all wiper settings to come back on except for high speed. I threw in a new relay to replace the one that deals with wiper speed and low and behold everything works perfectly!

Thank you vladc77! Apparently the indy was in over his head (even though he works on only European cars) and was looking in the wrong areas if he thought that the car needed a whole front SAM module. :smile

·
Premium Member
2008 ML320 CDI , 2006 E320 CDI
400 Posts
well glad it ended up being the fuse and a cheap fix, sorry you had to go through all that stress to find the problem

keep us up to date on if any more issues

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.