Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I had been enjoying my Mercedes E500 for the past 3 years until a month ago it started leaking coolant . The first diagnosis was the water pump failed and i was advised to drive it till its completely shut . A week later, I turned on the car and heard sounds of water splashing , so I turned off the car and went out to see a huge puddle of water under the car . Immediately called a tow truck and took it to my mechanic, turns out the water pump was fine but the coolant lines connected to it were blown up . I got it fixed and things were going great for almost a week , then i had the same thing happen to me while driving ! I checked the lines and they were fine , so i towed the carback to the mechanic again , turns out it was the splitter behind the intake manifold was leaking.Got that changed and when we tested it we found another line leaking on top of the engine . I think this car is either cursed or the heat of my city killed the coolant lines (50^C) . I owned the car for the past 3 years and faced minor issues but this is issue is really bad .I hope no other E500/E550 would face such an issue 馃槆
Regards ,

Registered
2014 E63S
With your car sitting in temperatures like that a good portion of the year, it wouldn't surprise me if the hoses are going. Have you had them all inspected? The car is 7-8 years old at this point, and it is very possible that you are experiencing failures simply due to age.

Fortunately, it sounds like you have replaced most of them, so you may be good to go now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
With your car sitting in temperatures like that a good portion of the year, it wouldn't surprise me if the hoses are going. Have you had them all inspected? The car is 7-8 years old at this point, and it is very possible that you are experiencing failures simply due to age.

Fortunately, it sounds like you have replaced most of them, so you may be good to go now.

Yes most of them were changed but whats weird is that there is pressure in the coolant reservoir when its cold and when i open the reservoir , coolant level rises . I read that it might be a head gasket failure which is really scary if thats the case .

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Also the car keeps popping the low coolant message because when its hot , the coolant level decreases and if i slightly open the cap it will rise again . ( when you touch the coolant reservoir it feels like it鈥檚 boiling 馃槄 )

Registered
2014 E63S
Also the car keeps popping the low coolant message because when its hot , the coolant level decreases and if i slightly open the cap it will rise again . ( when you touch the coolant reservoir it feels like it鈥檚 boiling 馃槄 )
Check the coolant. If it is oily and discolored, you may have exactly what you fear in the form of a head gasket leak. Head gasket leaks will present symptoms in a number of ways:
1. If the leak is between the coolant and the engine, you will get oil in the coolant.
2. If the leak is between the coolant and the outside of the engine, you will have coolant leaking out of the head and see reduction in the amount of coolant over time.
3. Whitish smoke from the exhaust
4. Milky discoloration of the coolant
5. Milky oil
6. Overheating of the engine

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Check the coolant. If it is oily and discolored, you may have exactly what you fear in the form of a head gasket leak. Head gasket leaks will present symptoms in a number of ways:
1. If the leak is between the coolant and the engine, you will get oil in the coolant.
2. If the leak is between the coolant and the outside of the engine, you will have coolant leaking out of the head and see reduction in the amount of coolant over time.
3. Whitish smoke from the exhaust
4. Milky discoloration of the coolant
5. Milky oil
6. Overheating of the engine
Fortunately, none of those symptoms are on my car , the coolant is clear , the oil is not mixed with anything, and i guess thats whats driving me crazy馃槄 . Is it possible that its just air trapped in the system ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts