Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently been through about 3 radiators and fans etc - initial problem thought to be the plastic cowling around the fan which was getting dragged into the fan and then smashing the radiator. Problem then found to be the water pump was not running true so caused belt movement which would lead to the broken fan and rad. Water pump changed however the vehicle is fine at high revs and when stationary it can be revved as hard and as fast as possible, although when on the move and kickdown or hard accelerating is applied above 3,000 rpm results in a squeal similar to a belt slipping ( which is the same noise as what it made before it smashed the fan and rad up). Any ideas??

·
Registered
35,795 Posts
Hard to hear the problem over the Internet, but belt tensioner on those cars are common problem. Did you change it during the repair?
This way, or another you might want to remove the belt and check all the components for play.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Bad motor mounts can cause a misalignment in that area.

Len

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check your Alternator

I had heard a funny noise at idle, upon inspection it was difficult for me to distinguish where that noise was coming from but the alternator was high on the suspect list. Later that day I was driving, went to make a turn and noticed that the power steering was out, shortly thereafter, the battery charge indicator and coolant temperature level indicator were both beaming and the temp started to climb rapidly. I shut her down right away and popped the hood to find that the pulley of the alternator had come completely off of its press fit shaft, the serpentine belt had wrapped itself into a birds nest, a couple of blades came off the fan and cut the radiator up in a couple of spots...major sigh...
I found a replacement alternator from r & z alternator with the pulley. pulled the radiator and brought that to a radiator guy who is suggesting that he can fix it but doesn't think the repair will last and recommends buying a new one from the dealer because he can't seem to find the correct radiator for this car through his channels. Dealer wants $549.00, awesome. A new fan, also a dealer only part was $86.00...
Anybody else had an experience similar? Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated!!!
1999 E300 TurboDiesel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts