Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i'm in search of a project car anything ranging from 60's muscle cars to a c43. i've got a buddy who pulled 400hp out of a 4cyl JDM who will be helping me along the way. A few weeks ago i saw a post on Craigslist a guy had a custom 190e that had a new MB crate engine. after owning a 5 speed 190e i am looking into getting a brabus, amg, or cosworth and am curious about the pricing and availability of those engines to drop into a 190e. i've wanted to do a write-up on some forum about rebuilding a car and getting some serious HP out of one. anyone know where to look for these engines or any shops that sell cam/heads for 190e's? i don't want to drop a bigger MB engine in one but am pretty clueless as to where too look for these parts for a 190e. my main problem is the cosworth and AMG 190e's don't have enough stock HP for my liking:surrender: any help is appreciated. :D

·
Registered
1987 190e 2.3-16 1985 190e 2.3
71 Posts
If you want big power, start off with a 2.6. Swap in an M103 3.0, M104 (C36) potomac german has a few c36 motors for less than 2k right now. The M103 is basically plug n play the motor mounts line up with both of these engines but with the M104 you have to do a lot more work wiring it up. You can also go the tuning route, in which case I would start with a 2.3-16 engine preferably a euro one. convert the fuel injection system to EFI with megasquirt. Tune it properly then consider some form of forced induction. This is no JDM childs play. All of this work is completely custom. There is no such thing as bolt on performance with these cars. For all these engines it would be VERY smart for you to mate it with the 2.3-16 Getrag 5-speed transmission. In fact it would be stupid to use any other transmission. Best of luck to you. I would suggest that before you start any of these modifications to a 190 you improve the suspension (bigger sway bars, stiffer springs, shocks etc) and the brakes (400e and bigger). This is where you will gain the most performance. I hope you have a VERY large budget for this project. I will be interested in following your posts if you do end up doing this.

You might want to check this out too.
Mercedes 190e c36 AMG Wald w201

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
I've had a look at a 1987 2.3 16 today,had engine rebuild 26000 miles ago....It's been stood for two years, bodywork is better than I thought it would be...........My problem is that it's got twin webber 45's on it and it doesn't run that good with them...He has most of the original injection system including the fuel pump in his garage...He is stubborn on price but will drop if he keeps the carbs,but not that much.......I can't make my mind up to buy as is with carbs or without and put it back to original?..........

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can "strap on" 400e rotors/calipers/pads? I always do suspension/brakes first. $10-15k is the price range i WANT to fall into. what about rear end diff's? i was thinking about rebuilding the engine with a custom fabricated supercharger. I'm so torn between different kinds of cars. Fox body Gt's are pretty legit

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,259 Posts
I'm no differ than any guys on this forum when own one of this W201 ( 16V..) Power power ..sound attractive and challenging ??? yes, fact is my 16V engine is still out side of car but for planning ahead I'm investing $$ to convert my engine for more power but slowly so you don't feel like your bank is empty by tomorrow. It's a hobby instead of go to the bar every evening for fun.Like Wessrgo suggestion the 5 speed Getrag is bullet proof gear box and can handle higher HP engine with ease. the 400E brake system is the best suit for W201.etc... mind set check your meckanik's skill, make a list and most fun part of it is : The hunt for parts.

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
I'm no differ than any guys on this forum when own one of this W201 ( 16V..) Power power ..sound attractive and challenging ??? yes, fact is my 16V engine is still out side of car but for planning ahead I'm investing $$ to convert my engine for more power but slowly so you don't feel like your bank is empty by tomorrow. It's a hobby instead of go to the bar every evening for fun.Like Wessrgo suggestion the 5 speed Getrag is bullet proof gear box and can handle higher HP engine with ease. the 400E brake system is the best suit for W201.etc... mind set check your meckanik's skill, make a list and most fun part of it is : The hunt for parts.
Any thoughts on my previous post?...If I'm doing the deal it has to be later today...I've heard people use the twin webber manifold for megasquirt EFI ?Should I just get the lot and work out what's best later?....Problem is I can save just short of a third of the price of the car without carbs/manifold...........Also in two minds about making it original for the future or making it faster.

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,259 Posts
For now I will stick with OEM play safe and focus on the under carrier for future engine mod.
Maybe is just my acknowledge most American W201 -16V are not mod with twin Webber carbs/intake mani but MS & Turbo go to 190rev you will find a lots of info than this forum.

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
You might want to check this out too.
Mercedes 190e c36 AMG Wald w201
this car was built by a member on 190rev...current owner of less then a month is trying to sell at a $2500+ markup for the car from what he paid...and using the build owners pics...i would not trust these pictures

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what are you doing to your 16v? he's a good mechanic and says he knows a guy who can fab up a custom top end and exhaust but won't know what kind of hp it would pull..dropping a c43 sounds better by the day. MB is a pita when it comes to mods:mad: pushes me more towards gt's,z28's,corvette's

I've had a look at a 1987 2.3 16 today,had engine rebuild 26000 miles ago....It's been stood for two years, bodywork is better than I thought it would be...........My problem is that it's got twin webber 45's on it and it doesn't run that good with them...He has most of the original injection system including the fuel pump in his garage...He is stubborn on price but will drop if he keeps the carbs,but not that much.......I can't make my mind up to buy as is with carbs or without and put it back to original?..........
thanks for the thread hijack:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
what are you doing to your 16v? he's a good mechanic and says he knows a guy who can fab up a custom top end and exhaust but won't know what kind of hp it would pull..dropping a c43 sounds better by the day. MB is a pita when it comes to mods:mad: pushes me more towards gt's,z28's,corvette's

I'm keeping my 16V as OEM for now while rebuilding it and concentrating on mod the body to the Evo I with the kit but ready for engine near by future and 90% I may go with MS/fuel injection.

Swap C36 is my choice if I can than C43 but if you think it's a pita then go for American way( Corvette etc..) and let us be informed.:D

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i heard there 0-60 is over 7 seconds? terrible =(. acompany serious needs to come out with cam,turbo,supercharger,cylinder head kits for different mercedes. a semi hot rodded w126 for instance would be killer. im sure AMG would be harder to mod up but still possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts