Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 1998 E320 - 160,000 Miles Strong
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure whats going on with my mom's e320 but I was driving her car around getting it set for smog check time. When all of the sudden I hit a big puddle of muddy water with rocks in it, it's been raining fairly hard here in California now the car sounds like its about to take off and I smell exhaust in the engine bay, wtf!? I feel like I'm pluging holes in the titanic with this thing, and I can't even drive it legally. :crybaby2: HELP:bowdown:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well so far I went to a mechanic to get a look inside the engine bay. He said a possible air leak waste gate something or other. I'm sure once he puts it on the lift I'm gotta get nailed for some serious $$$.

Heres a link to the video of the noise. You can hear it at 1:39
-Thanks

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
While its on the lift have em change the outside air temp sensor------from the picture yours look way off. It's got to be hotter than 47.

Regarding the smog test---------don't you go, you will get side tracked, get your sister to take the car for the test!!

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
Best thing your Mom can do is to keep you away from her car, far away.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Idle rpm looked good, 40-50mph rpm also looked good. Car ran good but the faster the car went, the louder the noise got. The noise sounds like from a bearing that went bad after murky water got in it.
I don't know the layout of 6-cylinder engine, look for the lowest pulley (alternator, ...) where the murky water could hit it.
You need to fix the lamp malfunction for your mom, too.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It might be 47F . Looks like Sacramento?
This is gas engine, right? They don't have wastegate, do they?

Its a Gasser its in the desert of Mojave. No waste gate could it be a bad cat?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,690 Posts
Your mechanic is in big advantage here, yet the diagnosis you brought make no sense.
How do I suppose to know? Get your head under the hood and listen, listen, listen.

·
Registered
1997 E300D
508 Posts
Sounds like you might have broken open the exhaust when you hit the pot hole. If so, it should be easy to find and fix.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sure its a bad cat Looks like i need to hit the junkyard again.
weird I pull no codes

·
Registered
2013 E350/41k, 1997 E320/290k, 1999 FJ100/256k
314 Posts
+1 on the

exhaust - perhaps even the exhaust manifold or somewhere like that - start at the engine and work down looking for the leak. The smell in the cabin is a good hint also its up front.

It does sound like a "puddle jumper" :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Best thing your Mom can do is to keep you away from her car, far away.
I went to Meineke after I called a couple of muffler shops turns out the bolts/screws that hold the pipes to the exhaust got loose they just retightned them free.

I don't appreciate this trolls comment. I understand and appreciate constructive criticism and the advice I receive here on a car forum but comments like that are classless and below what I'd expect a fellow member to post. If we all just stopped working on our cars because we hit a pothole this forum probably wouldn't exist and probably take alot of the joy of owning your own Mercedes ... then, the terrorist win. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
89 300E; 00 E320
2,515 Posts
Man, lighten up. I read it and thought it was just a joke.

Sometimes humor (the joke) works and sometimes it doesn't depending on a lot of things. But if we just stop trying every time one doesn't work then it would be a very sad and depressing world that we live in.

My guess is that he and you and the rest of us are learning alot about our 210's here because it is a great forum with many characters; and sometimes we just bypass and ignore perspective we do not necessarily agree with and learn what we think is important.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts