Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2008 R350 - Wife's ride 92&93 190e Project & parts car 2011 F150 Daily
376 Posts
A dealership is not going to "slip" in new lower control arms.

It takes a good amount of time and an alignment should be done after!

·
Registered
2011 C300; 1995 C220(sold); 1985 300D Turbo (sold)
95 Posts
Hmm, last time I took my car in to the dealer, they told me my control arm bushing is bad. They charge me a small amount for the bushing, but an arm and a leg for labor, I wonder if that is it! ;)

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 240d, 1999 Mercedes C280 , (1995 Mercedes c220 RIP Demolished 5/08 )
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
yes, and you'll pay for the "routine" repair, replacing the lower control arms unless Mercedes makes a deal with you..
The control arm bushing is another problem, but that doesn't cause you to lose a wheel, and thats understandable..

·
Registered
on the search for another 97 202.028 many more sold
40 Posts
hey nothing lasts forever. lol i can understand mb on there half, its not like this is a known problem. i worked at an mb dealer for many years and never seen this happen. mb isnt going to cover a 9 year old control arm for anyone no matter the miles or situation.

·
Registered
on the search for another 97 202.028 many more sold
40 Posts
Hi guy's Me again My "new" 1999 c280 also suffers from Lower control arm failures, I have the tell tale rust "stain" on the lower control arms like I had on My C220.. I called a Mercedes service manager and he said that they ROUTINELY replace the lower control arms on ALL C Class Mercedes, Mercedes looks at this like it was Scheduled maintaince to routinely replace Lower control arms at $3000.00 a wack every few years..

I've found that this covers All C class 1993 - 2000 cars, Several other people have emailed me saying they lost front tires while driving.. Here's another review that I copyed from a automotive reviewer..

"Lower front suspension control arms can rust through. They are made of layers of stamped sheetmetal rather than solid steel. They have a 3 inch large hole on top and the salt and water goes in the hole and soaks down to the lower ball joint area, and rusts from the inside out because they are hollow. "

I'm going to trade my Mercedes in for something that I don't have to worry about the tires falling off on the interstate while driving to and from work

i cant belive they charge that much

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
On my 202 I recalled I had to change a year ago, the "LCA Bushings" or lower control arm bushings. Just to confirm, is this the guilty part that rusts and breaks?

·
Registered
1995 C220 102k
589 Posts
no, it is the actual metal contol arm, not the rubber bushing.

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 240d, 1999 Mercedes C280 , (1995 Mercedes c220 RIP Demolished 5/08 )
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
All C class Mercedes 1993 - 2000 cars

I've found that this covers All C class Mercedes 1993 - 2000 cars. These are from my 1995 C220.. THIS CAR IS ON JACKS in this picture, otherwise the front end would be on the ground, with the tire rolled underneath somewhere

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 R350 - Wife's ride 92&93 190e Project & parts car 2011 F150 Daily
376 Posts
No shit genius... I bet it takes at least 15-20 minutes to do the whole job.
Well if you can do the 3.6 + 1.8(alignment) flag hour job for both control arms with an alignment than I would love to have you as a tech, I could make tons of money.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1995 C220 102k
589 Posts
Not to discount the seriousness of this control arm breaking or say this is acceptable but theres a few angles you can look at this from:

Honsetly, I see the problem, but I also see A LOT of junk / salt / dirt built up on EVERYTHING related to the suspension... You said You only drove it 2 winters? Who says the previous owner didnt drive it all winter long every winter?? Salt and metal dont mix, and even the coil spring looks to have salt built up on it. It almost looks like visible signs of neglect. Im not saying you didnt take care of the car, but you also have to listen to the other posts... even if you were in a BMW, Lexus, Volkswagen or Toyota -- I doubt any manufacturer would lift a finger to do anything to fix a control arm that broke after 9-10 YEARS of use, with some of the use being in snow... It's almost like me being mad at Goodyear because the tread is wearing off of my tires.

This IS something that can be avoided by regular inspection, maintainence, and care. Its really too bad to see it happen, But I do have a feeling it could have been caught or stopped before this.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Not to discount the seriousness of this control arm breaking or say this is acceptable but theres a few angles you can look at this from:

Honsetly, I see the problem, but I also see A LOT of junk / salt / dirt built up on EVERYTHING related to the suspension... You said You only drove it 2 winters? Who says the previous owner didnt drive it all winter long every winter?? Salt and metal dont mix, and even the coil spring looks to have salt built up on it. It almost looks like visible signs of neglect. Im not saying you didnt take care of the car, but you also have to listen to the other posts... even if you were in a BMW, Lexus, Volkswagen or Toyota -- I doubt any manufacturer would lift a finger to do anything to fix a control arm that broke after 9-10 YEARS of use, with some of the use being in snow... It's almost like me being mad at Goodyear because the tread is wearing off of my tires.

This IS something that can be avoided by regular inspection, maintainence, and care. Its really too bad to see it happen, But I do have a feeling it could have been caught or stopped before this.
(1) Like I said earlier, this was a Virginia car... The problem is that in the "Salt" belt this happens because you can't clean or rinse this part, By washing these parts your only adding water to the salt , mud, sand in the laying in the control arms ... AND the only place that will find it is the Mercedes garage, BECAUSE the arms rust from the "Inside-out" and their not telling the whole world... So unless you know someone who has X-ray vision to pick this up during an inspection, most people would over look them..
(2) Isn't it funny that I bought a 99 c280 to replace my 95 c220 and it has rusted thru
control arms also. (Their both minty)
(3) I cringe every time I see a C-Class driving by wondering if the tire will fall off, or if the driver is unaware that its possable that he may lose 1 or 2 wheels while driving..
(4) And as far as not washing my car It had just snowed, and I drove it, But as you can see I was having a problem steering it to the car wash..
I do take care of my cars.. Heres my 82 240d with 360,000 miles

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
So does anyone have a link to a recall here?
lsk7 did you file a claim with NHTSA?

My C230 is a 97 with 31k miles and only driven one winter (according to the original owner) so I think I'm pretty safe, but I'm in Canada so it might have sucked up the salt while in storage :)

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
I contacted the dealer where the PO brought my car for service. They ran the VIN and told me the lower control arms and bushings had been changed in 2005. The PO never mentioned this service but had a receipt for a $900 4 wheel alignment and service on the same date the dealer gave me. After looking at them closer, they don't look 10 years old.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Well looking again at that first pic of your suspension everything is indeed orange from rust and looks rather "dry". Oil spray of lubrication is required on the underbodies once a year, with or without washing of the undercarriage.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
This has zero to do with MB quality.
By looking at the pictures and notice the year, it was Owner Negligence in Maintenance. Yearly Safety Checks would have caught this a very long time
ago. This is exactly and perfectly illustrates why I am not a Suction Oil from the Top kinda-guy.

I like getting down there and Inspecting and looking and pulling and getting a general idea of my chassis.

That is a fantastic amount of rust to put the burden on MB. Let's see, a 13 year old part? or parts?
And who's to say ( not you of course ) the other bozo head who owned this
didn't just drive it into the ground.

I'm with MB on this one.
I'm also with you on the Caution flag on this.

1995 Mercedes C220 Front Wheel fell off, Rusted through Lower control arm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just wanted to warn people, Since Mercedes won't, That I lost my front driver side wheel in a parking lot... I didn't hit anything, The lower support arm rusted in half from the inside out..AND the other side lower support arm is in the same condition.. You see they are made of layers of stamped sheetmetal instead of solid steel like on my old 240d... so please Check your lower support arms ...It would have been dandy if it would have left loose on my daily drive on the interstate.... The way their built is they have a 3 inch large hole on top and the salt & water goes in the hole and soaks down to the lower ball joint area, and rusts from the inside out because they are hollow....
Ps: I have the front of the car on jackstands because I'm really afraid of the other side breaking off also...the people that I talked to at Mercedes USA were arrogant and were more worried about trying to get their notes right and
discrediting me rather than accessing that there my be a problem..This car was only driven 2 years in the winter..Again Please look at your cars
Lee

·
Registered
2008 c350, 2004 c240
305 Posts
This is ridiculous.

I have pulled 50 year old cars and trucks from fields where they sat rusting away for decades. None of them were in danger of having the wheels fall off or axles break from corrosion.

So a 1990's Mercedes Benz is not as good as a 1929 Ford Model A?

I got a 1965 Ford Mustang (which was cheaply built to begin with) that sat ON the ground for 18 years. They actually had to dig around the car to get a jack underneath it. Its suspension, frame, chassis, body and wheels were all solid. No wheels fell off.

I echo LSK7's warning that every owner should inspect the control arms.

I do not agree with the dealer above who thinks Mercedes Benz is blameless. It appears that Mercedes changed their suspension construction on the w203 which indicates they knew of the problems. It was a cost cutting measure that failed.

If I owned one of the models in question I certainly would file a complaint with the NTHSA.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
A car laying in the field has no pressure on its joints, so yes I can see a car laying in the field for years or decades and no problems.

But in this case, you have owner maintenance negligence, coupled with the physical stresses of driving and then you have a catastrophic failure.

I recall my previous cars had a CV Boot and after so many years the Boot would degrade. Now if you own one of the cars that has a CV Boot, you darn well should know this needs a physical inspection on a regular basis.
No way am I to blame Detroit for a CV Boot failure. This is analagous of the MB joint problem.

YOU own the car, the car is not owned by MB.
They only manufacture it.
It's yours, yours, yours, yours.
Take charge of your Vehicle and maintain it.

This is ridiculous.

I have pulled 50 year old cars and trucks from fields where they sat rusting away for decades. None of them were in danger of having the wheels fall off or axles break from corrosion.

So a 1990's Mercedes Benz is not as good as a 1929 Ford Model A?

I got a 1965 Ford Mustang (which was cheaply built to begin with) that sat ON the ground for 18 years. They actually had to dig around the car to get a jack underneath it. Its suspension, frame, chassis, body and wheels were all solid. No wheels fell off.

I echo LSK7's warning that every owner should inspect the control arms.

I do not agree with the dealer above who thinks Mercedes Benz is blameless. It appears that Mercedes changed their suspension construction on the w203 which indicates they knew of the problems. It was a cost cutting measure that failed.

If I owned one of the models in question I certainly would file a complaint with the NTHSA.

·
Premium Member
2001 CLK55
408 Posts
I guess U were having a bad day. :D

Isk7 actuallty looks as German as U can go ;)
He doesn't look like he drives a bmw, bmw drivers actually look exactly like the people in your own avatar, clean, brushed, nice on the outside, crap at the inside.

Honestly I'd rather have a conversation with Isk7 then with somebody like U.
its a fukin miami vice pic... rico tubbs drives a 500 benz then the cadi
crockett got the daytona...... and i dont give a fuck who u want to talk to

41 - 60 of 79 Posts