Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 240d, 1999 Mercedes C280 , (1995 Mercedes c220 RIP Demolished 5/08 )
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1995 Mercedes C220 Front Wheel fell off, Rusted through Lower control arm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just wanted to warn people, Since Mercedes won't, That I lost my front driver side wheel in a parking lot... I didn't hit anything, The lower support arm rusted in half from the inside out..AND the other side lower support arm is in the same condition.. You see they are made of layers of stamped sheetmetal instead of solid steel like on my old 240d... so please Check your lower support arms ...It would have been dandy if it would have left loose on my daily drive on the interstate.... The way their built is they have a 3 inch large hole on top and the salt & water goes in the hole and soaks down to the lower ball joint area, and rusts from the inside out because they are hollow....
Ps: I have the front of the car on jackstands because I'm really afraid of the other side breaking off also...the people that I talked to at Mercedes USA were arrogant and were more worried about trying to get their notes right and
discrediting me rather than accessing that there my be a problem..This car was only driven 2 years in the winter..Again Please look at your cars
Lee

Attachments

·
Registered
00 C-230, 04 C-240
468 Posts
This does look quite serious as far as safety goes. You might contact your State's Attorney Generals Office, or other appropriate office regarding this problem.

I agree about Mercedes dealers -- most are only out to get your money.

Good luck. Maybe you can prevent someone's wheels coming off on the freeway.

·
Registered
2003 S430 Sport Edition
1,323 Posts
I never seen that before. Maybe the snow mixed with salt affected the lower control arm during winter in the United States.

Eddie

·
Registered
95 C280, 89 300E, 94' E320 Coupe, 91' 560SEC
1,095 Posts
You just made me run out to my girl and take her to the $20 Car Wash with the Underbody protection Option.

I am going on a roadtrip this friday from NY to Florida and back up the Appalachian Mountain's Blue Ridge ParkWay to and through the MidEastern States...but now you are making me want to check the whole underbody of the car again in case I missed that but I have never seen that amount of suface rust on my car either though.

·
Registered
2003 S430 Sport Edition
1,323 Posts
Do you have in your a a company which does a total wash including underneath your car. Take it there and let them wash it. There you can check everything if there is something else rusty.

I did mine last year and you should have seen the dirt coming from underneath my car.

Eddie

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 240d, 1999 Mercedes C280 , (1995 Mercedes c220 RIP Demolished 5/08 )
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Has the car spent most its life near the coast?
The car was from Virginia, and seldom used... I've had it in Pa. for 3 years and I kept it in the garage for the first winter, Drove it a little the second winter, and drove it alot this winter... there is really no way to wash out this part because if you look there is a 3" hole underneath the coil spring and the dirt, sand, mud ,salt, water, goes in and down the inside of the arm and is trapped there, even if you stuck a hose in there and rinsed the arm out it would still be holding the water.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Wow that's bad.

Gotto check mine, but if it rusts from the inside, how can I determine it's bad or not?

Hit it with a wrench and listen?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
C220 Front Wheel fell off

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys
Well a nice girl at Mercedes Customer service called me today... She called to let me know that they " received "? my emails and phone calls... She hinted about a "special warrantee" BUT when I told her that I sent the car to a non Benz garage, she hushed up...
I told her that I went to a non-Benz garage because it would be half the price and I had no incentive to do otherwise.. Since I was paying the whole bill..

I called back after lunch, (18 minutes on hold) And asked why they really called and she said that a possability existed that they may have paided for some of the repair, But since I didn't take it to an authorized garage it was no deal.... I told her that it had been 21 DAYS from the first time that I called them and now TODAY their calling talking warranty???

I told her I NEED my car, and I couldn't wait 3 weeks to tell me that they MAY possabily cover "some"? of the repair

Lee lsk7

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well My car is finished and BOTH lower control arms were bad, The mechanic hit the other arm with a hammer, and it went thru the arm...
Lee

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow that's bad.

Gotto check mine, but if it rusts from the inside, how can I determine it's bad or not?

Hit it with a wrench and listen?
I would take it to an alignment shop and tell them to look at the lower support arms for signs of rust, letting them know that they rust from the inside out ..
lee

·
Registered
76 Posts
Isk7..........if you got this car at end of route 1 from Jersey to PA........they only sell garbage in that area........I already bought a car there and it sucked........

and you Isk7 are supposed to look underneath of the car and see that problem BEFORE u buy it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I bought my C220 from a Mercedes dealer in State College, Pa..
And like I said each Model car has its own Unique defects over time, so you have to know what to look for... particularly if the defect is "hidden" and unheard of... Thats why we're here, to let the "cat" out of the bag on these problems.... Over in Europe, and England they tried to get Mercedes to recall these cars years ago for this problem, But to no avail...

Lee

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,882 Posts
Good god - that's terrible!

What are you looking at to get those parts replaced? Are they in fact replaceable?

·
Premium Member
2001 CLK55
408 Posts
this sounds like your cars is bullshit and i have had 202s for years in the UK and i have never ever herd of this so called recall my pops had a few and he dont even know what you are on about there has never been a recall for wheels falling of? lol i own 2 and a tottal of 3 in my family....after seeing all this i have had all of them checked

1997 126000
1998 60000
1995 140000

not one problem?

i have even taken the 1997 one my one of a track day.... was perfect no problems with the suspension.....stop scaring everyone mate and check underneith the car before you buy it.....this would appear to be your fault for either misstreating or missbuying...dont bad mouth a whole model of car or a manufactor because of your fuckups....

1 - 20 of 79 Posts