Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 C230, 2003 CLK500, VehiCROSS
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When did MB's said overall quality drop? What years/models/makes signify the drop?

I only ask because I see more and more people listing their for sale auto with "the last truly built MB" ...and etc.

With that said, what are the STAND OUT motors!?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
That's kind of a tough one... There's a lot of mixed opinion on it, and mistakes made by MB have caused specific years to be problematic for certain chassis... I'll take a stab at it from the knowledge I have, which is fairly limited to 80's and 90's models.
I think the general consensus is the quality went downhill after the Chrysler merger (1998 I believe.) But it's my opinion that reliability went downhill after the 126 chassis for the S-class and after the 124 chassis for the E-class. I honestly haven't researched the other classes enough to comment on them. But for the two I mentioned, it's my opinion that the chassis following those,(140 and 210,) just got too complicated for their own good. Maybe not so much with the 210, but it is horribly plagued with rust.
Truthfully, the 140 is probably the last true benz in which no expense was spared and the engineering was of true German fashion.

The OM603 and OM617, and OM616 are probably the best diesel engines, and the m110, m103, and m117 are probably the best gas engines, particularly the latter. The m119 is a more efficient and powerful v8, but I don't believe it has the longevity and reliability that the m117 is known for.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
MB build quality fell from 1998-2006. The introduction of the FSS system along with prolonged maintenance schedules caused problems. Even then they're still reliable; my '99 slk 230 has only had $1400 in unexpected maintenance in 13years/80k miles. All the models have different problems. It's up to you to do the research and figure out what's a good buy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts