Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which mercedes-benz (if any) can last 150,000 miles without having any problems at all, except regular maintance (changing oil, tires, etc.)

Thanks in advance! [:D]

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
re;

I would say pretty much any of them will. I've had a number of Mercs which all reached 150,000 miles with no problems. One W123 200 I owned from 73,000 miles had almost 300,000 miles when sold, the only major thing I replaced was the rear suspension mounts which was about three hours work. My present C180 has 148,000 miles and has no signs of wear. I think its safe to say the Diesels will out last the petrol engines (I know a 200D with over 600,000 miles now!) but 150,000 miles isn’t seen as high mileage on any German car, BMW and Audi likewise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I had went to BMW forums, and they said some BMW's have minor engine problems like al...

Well I had went to BMW forums, and they said some BMW's have minor engine problems like aleternator, etc. at like 100,000. And JD power and associates said Lexus is world's more reliable car. So do ya think lexus and acura are more reliable than mercedes and bmw since Lexus IS300 people said it's 90% made with same materials as BMW 3 series.

·
Registered
89 260e
14 Posts
lets face it, japanese cars are far more reliable compared with the german cars. People with trouble free benzes are probably the luckiest people on earth. Don't get me wrong, I love mercedes benzes. But if you go to a forum on toyotas or lexus' you wouldn't too many complaints compared with mercedes. I noticed in several posts that even in the dealerships, they sometimes do a hit-and-miss thing when it comes to finding out what really the problem is especially when it comes to the engine. Unlike in japanese cars its so easy to trouble shoot. Why do you think the toyota corolla is the world's best selling car and has a legendary reputation for reliabiity. Was there ever a time that mercedes or bmw topped the surveys in term of reliability and customer satisfaction? On the other hand, I like a mercedes for its ride, feel, safety, and prestige it gives you when you drive it.But hey, if you have the cash, go for mercedes.

·
Registered
C 111 Nardo
9,416 Posts
Lexus IS300 people said it's 90% made with same materials as BMW 3 series?

As in the decomposition into atoms that make up the sheet metal, the plastics, the glass, etc...

That's laughable!

It's 100% Toyota Altezza is what it is, sold to the vain at a premium.

You list no location Haris, but I assume that you are in the US. Wait till next year and get a W211 E320CDI, that'll last you forever, assuming you actually purchase your vehicles...

·
Registered
C 111 Nardo
9,416 Posts
Why do you think the toyota corolla
It has large appeal to the masses because it's cheap. If you are a utilitarian, or are less fortunate, it's an important feature.

Was there ever a time that mercedes or bmw topped the surveys in term of reliability and customer satisfaction?
I see you drive a 1989 260E. Do you think a Corolla would have lasted you that long? Whether you bought it used or new has no bearing on the answer!
DO you not remember when japanese cars where just POSs? Remember when Nissan was Datsun, when you could read through the doors of a hole rusted Toyota?
We've had 2 MBs which literally went to the dealer for service only, and wear and tear like pads, wipers, tires, etc... the last W124 300E diesel topped 200,000 miles on that regime. We sold it, and still see it around town. The paint is as new, the engine runs liek new, the interior is flawlwss and spotless. I'll put that against any Toyota.

Sure enough, the japanese cars are very reliable these days, with Toyota on top of the list. But are they the safest cars? The most innovative? Packed with new technology?
No! No! And finally No!

If you don't care about these, you get a Toyota. If you don't care and want to show off in a Toyota, you buy a Lexus. If you care, you get a Mercedes-Benz, which is not as reliable as it used to be although a diesel will get you going forever, packed with great engineering and technology, but also on the bleeding edge which means reliability issues.

·
Registered
89 260e
14 Posts
Actually, my point is simple. We have a reverence for Mercedes that engineered like no other car in the world. Its definitely true. They are always on the cutting edge of style and technology that the Japanese car companies copy. Mercedes are using more expensive and supposed to be more superior parts for their vehicles. So how come toyota, using cheaper parts and producing 7 times more cars than Mercedes has a better customer satisfaction and reliability record than Mercedes, considering the volume of vehicles? Sometimes our loyalty to a brand makes us blind to these shortcomings. Wouldn't it be nice for Mercedes vehicle to have the reliabilty of a toyota? I think realiabilty would be most welcome for MB owners.

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
JD powers in perspective

too much weight is placed on the JD power ratings. we must remember that it is just a poll. the ratings are by average people with no technical qualifications or automotive knowledge for that matter. how many people really know cars? only those in the industry or fanatics on benzworld.org.

how many people will save for years to finally buy a lexus and then complain about their decision. there are many crap cars out there, we all know it, and people still buy them.

many high end cars have a harsh rating because their owners are much more demanding, as they should be. while the average joe would be satisfied with a timex, the Benz owner needs a rolex. we don't settle. which is why the engineers at Benz continue to strive for the perfection and technology their customers demand. car ownership is much more than the first few years, any car can achieve that. its the quantity of old benzes on the road that tell you the complete story.

JD power quotes on their web site:
"We do not rely on "expert opinion." Our product and service rankings in no way reflect the opinions or preferences of the firm, and we do not review, judge or test products and services ourselves."

according to JD powers, a 2002 pontiac aztec has a 5 out of 5 (among the best) for performance. that beats an 2003 SL500 (with 4 out of 5) according to JD powers.

·
Registered
180 Posts
"Wouldn't it be nice for Mercedes vehicle to have the reliabilty of a toyota? I think realiabilty would be most welcome for MB owners"

Reliability of a Toyota? I'd be happy with the reliability of a YUGO!

"many high end cars have a harsh rating because their owners are much more demanding, as they should be. while the average joe would be satisfied with a timex, the Benz owner needs a rolex. we don't settle. which is why the engineers at Benz continue to strive for the perfection and technology their customers demand. car ownership is much more than the first few years, any car can achieve that. its the quantity of old benzes on the road that tell you the complete story."

If I bought a Rolex, it should tell me the time AT LEAST as well as the Timex. The extra money you pay is for the accoutrements of a Rolex including gold and jewels etc as well as the prestige factor. We all want something the average joe doesn't. It's human nature. But if you buy a Rolex and it tarnishes quickly or fails to tell time accurately, it will eventually attain a reputation as being a piece of junk and the bloom will be off the rose. They will quickly lose their luster and that's what's happening to MB now. More people are recognizing MB QC problems and before long, the average joe won't being trying to attain one. He'll look elsewhere. The quantity of old Bezes on the road DOES NOT have anything to do with anything. Go to a new Mercedes dealership and try and find a Benz over 4 years old. If they think they're so good, why won't they sell them? If you trade something older then a 2000 model year, it will generally go straight to the auction house. They know about the quality issues and they don't want to tarnish the reputation of the local dealership.

Some people are blinded by their perceptions. Mercedes was a car longed for by many. As people grow in age and in income and as Mercedes lowers its content value and price, many more are buying MB. At least for now. As they discover the QC problems, they won't be back. If you're old enough to remember, Cadillac was the luxury car to have. As GM let quality slide and as imports quality went up, guess what happened. The same thing is happening here as well. I hope they can stop the slide. The engineering and styling is good. Product delivery is not anywhere close to what it should be.
[

·
Registered
1986 190E 2.3-16
34 Posts
RE: JD powers in perspective

One must also throw longevity into the quotient. When certain parts wear out on a Toyota the car becomes junk, whereas a Mercedes is designed to have the parts replaced and continue providing service to the owner. As an example, try replacing the windshield washer resevior on a Corrolla

·
Registered
211 Posts
chuck V

i think you win the comp for the longest, most useless sig on here

like the output of the alternator? like I care?

sorry OT

anyway - im not happy with my cl420 as it takes 0.5 seconds longer to start than i'd like.... (being mechanically minded, I'd expect it to start better)

the slightest squeek shows up - its a S (an?) class - so the slightest noise shows.

bet the toyota owner wouldnt complain that the glove box top left corner (UK car) squeeks when going down bad, bumpy road... no he would hear it from the banging of the suspension...

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
guydewdney - 12/17/2003 4:16 PM
bet the toyota owner wouldnt complain that the glove box top left corner (UK car) squeeks when going down bad, bumpy road... no he would hear it from the banging of the suspension...
In addition, the Toyota was just specifically built to score well on JD Power's survey. Hmmmm...
That's like building a car for a crash test, instead of real world accidents...

"Toyota scored 207 problems per 100, good enough for sixth place, one notch lower than last year when VDS tracked cars four to five years old. <b>Lexus customer satisfaction boss Mark Templin acknowledged that Toyota and Lexus gear their quality processes specifically to score well on Power's survey.</b>."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Honestly u can't compare the two. I drive a 95 Toyota Supra with a getrag 6 speed transmission. The car has 83k miles on it. The car makes over 750 horsepower with a stock bottom end and the everything is original on the long block except for cams and springs. How many cars do u know can make that kind of power on a stock block? How many of those are still very streetable?

Then I have a 2001 c320 with every option that the car came with in 01. This car has more electronic features than any car i've seen. Yes some of the options are very nice to have like garage door opener, auto lights, headrest adj... But it also has more room for stuff to fail. The oil fill neck is god horrible design. Mine already had a crack in it. The fog lights got water in them. The rear shade is stuck. It is definitely much easier to work on or find someone to work on a lexus then it is to find someone to work on a benz. And the parts are much less on the lexus since u can cross-reference the parts with toyota.

cheers,

·
Registered
W124 300e
51 Posts
i have w124 300e, its been 15 years since it rolled out of the factory and its still running fine...i heard the w124 was one of the last 'quality' merc's, before mercedes introduced some cost reduction in production, am i right?

will

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
What about the German Mercedes taxis that have close to a million miles? You can't compare a 10 year old Mercedes with mostly city miles to a 10 year old Toyota with only highway miles. You have to compare two cars with the same type of driving and the same type of maintenance. So, basically, all those surveys and such are not exact science. I wouldn't let JD Power or Consumer Reports influence me too much. Also, a Honda made in Japan has better reliability than a Honda made in Mexico.

Simply stated, to rate reliability of cars is impossible.

I think reliability comes in two. There's engine reliability and then there's structural reliability. Mercedes cars are still solid after decades, whereas in a Toyota doors will creak, windows will rattle, etc.

Mercedes cars were more reliable back then when they were mostly mechanical based. These days, with the use of electronics, a simple Toyota can be more reliable.

I will know longer trust Consumer Reports. They say the new S-Class has "poor" reliability. My 2002 S430 has 17,000 miles of both very hard city and highway driving and nothing has gone wrong. How can Consumer Reports sum up a car's reliability with only a few months of testing it?

·
Registered
1992 MERZ 400E
421 Posts
i dont care about reliability(too much), its the nature of the beast. mercedes = class, i loves to drives my classy car.

and chuck v's sig is such an eyesore it makes me feel like i wanna file a formal complaint

·
Registered
C 111 Nardo
9,416 Posts
Alas, I've formally complained many times

chuck v's sig is such an eyesore it makes me feel like i wanna file a formal complaint
Alas, I've formally complained many times. Although Chuck V and you share a predilection for butchering the English language, his sense of humour is much different from the one you do not have.

Each time I have complained, the signature got longer. I quit complaining!

Maybe if you used reverse psy. and praised his signature, he would make it shorter. Anyway, Chuck would be a very good character to work in your directorial debut after you attend t.u. and graduate from 6th street.

·
Registered
2002 E320W4
242 Posts
i have always found it somewhat amusing. sadly because i used to drive my nieghbor's yugo when i was 13/14. he was a doctor, had 2 benzes and a yugo that he drove to work.he was from yugo (maybe a patriotic thing). but it had bosch fuel injection and made about 90hp. that car was a blast and i kinda wanted it but one day it quite literally fell apart in his driveway. we used to do donuts in the garage. hehehe... he had a 2 car garage and fit all 3 vehicles in there. but, the AMG model and all the mods is just a crack-up. it would almost be worth the 5 grand to build a yugo like that.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts