Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'87 300D
1,394 Posts
I thought parts did count? WTF

I spend a good amount of money at the dealership for parts. I like knowing Mercedes will help me if anything were to happen. Hell KIA has a better roadside service now.

When the last owners of my cabrio were on the side of the road and I helped I called Mercedes Roadside for a tow and they said they did not offer that.. wtf

·
Registered
1991 300D 116,000m
730 Posts
The threshold to obtain Mercedes roadside assistance is only $100 in EIGHTEEN months. That's what my truck's AAA roadside assistance costs for 18 months and AAA isn't evening repairing my truck or changing my oil for that $100.

It's still a great deal. Frugalness is a virtue, cheapness is a disease.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,445 Posts
Just shows where the company is heading....They won't even honor previous owners.

I have AAA anyway...

·
Registered
1991 300D 116,000m
730 Posts
AAA is good, because it will come to you no matter whose car you are riding in or not, lol.

Once my friends were meeting me at a bar and they locked their keys in their car. When they walked in and told me I said no problem, I have AAA. I just told AAA that I was in my friends car and we locked the keys in. No questions asked. Saved my friends a chunk of money. I'll never give up my AAA membership and my friends now also have a membership. But as far as services offered, I believe Mercedes and AAA are basically the same. They both give you fuel, jumpstart, tire change, etc..

·
Registered
89 300E; 00 E320
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It's not about the money; it has been a time honored tradition. Now it is gone.

I have never used them, but believe that a reason so many Mercedes have been sold over the years is for their great service policies including roadside assistance.

I will not take my car to a dealer for service but occasionally will drive the 30 miles for parts or some fluid. Those who have been dropped from the plan lose out on that piece of mind and many live a lot further from a dealer than me.

·
Registered
1991 300D 116,000m
730 Posts
I agree Ps2cho, but I also understand it's an important business decision for Mercedes.

Mercedes has been trying to balance cost with quality since Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura jumped into the sand box. Gone are the days when you have the luxury to tell your engineers "Build it to a standard, not a price". I believe that is why we all own W124's, because it was the last Mercedes to be built to a standard.

Remember, the internet was just starting as our cars were being built. 20 years later, Mercedes owners have access to just about any information they could possible need to maintain their cars themselves. That spells bad news for service departments. Ebay has also helped owners find cheap hard to find parts from their easy chairs and that's not good for their parts departments either.

Nothing will change for the majority of owners who take their Mercedes to the dealership at least once every 18 months. For the people who go to the Indy's, where do you think your mechanic is getting that 'Mercedes only' part from? That's right, the dealership down the street. So just take your car to the dealership once in a while. (mine has free Starbuck's)

But I realize the definition of a forum is for people who like to DIY. You have two options: Take your car to the dealership occasionally or opt for AAA if you think you will NEVER meet the $100 threshold every 18 months. I do both.

In the end, it's just a simple financial decision, that will affect a small minority of owners who just happen to be mostly on the forums and speak the loudest.

·
Registered
1991 300D 116,000m
730 Posts
cbc atl

Tradition.......Tradition costs money and the ones who pay for that Tradition are the buyers of NEW Mercedes, not used Mercedes. If you buy used, you received the Tradition for free...

Show your loyalty to the dealership once every 18 months and Mercedes will show their loyalty to you. Small change, quite fair. I do wish that parts counted towards the $100 threshold, but it may have more to do with the fact that the program is tracked through the vin number. Parts purchases aren't tracked through the vin, but I think that could be an easy change for Mercedes to do since the Service Dept always is.

As far as people who live 300 miles from a dealership, you are right, I did not take them into consideration. Roadside Assistance will tow you to the nearest Mercedes Dealership. So pile the wife and kids into the front cab of the tow truck and enjoy the 5 hour ride to the nearest Dealership....but they won't be open because cars break down after hours, lol

Can't change a flat or you run out of gas, your driver's license should be taken away, lol

·
Registered
89 300E; 00 E320
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Didn't mean to be a jerk about it. I just feel they could find another way to fill up their service centers. Maybe charging a fair rate would be a good start. We could debate what a fair rate is but come on.

They are making a mistake in their brand in my opinion and we have all seen this type of thing happen. Coca Cola changed their original formula and found out they made a huge mistake. It's a similar thing to me; maybe I just hate change and the fact that these types of decisions are necessary at this time.

·
Registered
1991 300D 116,000m
730 Posts
cbc atl

Not a jerk at all. I edit my post 5 times before I post and I still seem like an ass, lol I know I'm in the minority, not being a hardcore DIYer. I'm not very good at pinching pennies either, my last bill was $1400 and I actually felt good that so many little things were taken care of on the 300d. By the time I buy the tools and count what my time is worth, it seems like a bargain. I don't think I'm spending any more than I would at the our best local Indy.

Funny you brought up Coke. Don't you wonder who in the hell are running these big companies. I just want to storm into a boardroom and say "REALLY, this is the best you can come up with?" lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts