Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you have seen the Japanese-spec W126's with these "flag poles" on the front bumper. They're not really flag poles, per se... but are used in assisting the driver in parking by telling him how far the corner is from the curb. Anyways, I'm always on a look out for other "useless" official Mercedes accessories for the W126... and this time I was casually combing around the venues for one of these Japanese "flag poles":p

Apparently, from other sources I've talked to.. they have an official Mercedes part number which would help when you wanted to order. I tried hard to find these part numbers and came out empty-handed. Was also told that these accessory items were available at just over $200 a few years ago. Whether the price is the same today, I do not know... but I don't know how to check since I don't have a part number. I looked through EPC's and found nothing as well.

There is an official option part number for a real diplomatic flag holder in which the holder portion is mounted to the fender. The option code is 900 and 901 I believe, depending on which side of the fender the flag is placed. Unfortunately, I too, could not find the actual part number for these flag holders for the W126 but only other models. Once I find anything out... I will post them so others, who are willing to purchase these items can do so via their local dealership. Finding these items new or used in the US is pretty much impossible... so your only other venue if you REALLY want one is the local dealership.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
I just saw one of those on a car in a CL ad...unfortunately, I look at so many of those that I don't recall particulars but will keep an eye peeled.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,498 Posts
Jonathan1's SEL has one.

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jonathan1's SEL has one.
Jonathan's AMG SEL? Or which Jonathan? I have not seen his with one... perhaps he can chime in on this topic? Do these poles have a part number written on them somewhere?:)

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,680 Posts
Do you think those are 15" or 16" rims on that car? I think my wheels look so small and I have dangerous tread on them now as I don't want to put tires on wheels I don't want to keep... :/

On Topic: Do a search for "Pennant Pole" or "Flag Pole" or "Standard Pole" (standard being a term for a flag or banner) They are option codes in the 900's.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My local dealer found the genuine silver flag poles in his database (very pricey), but not the parking staff.

I discarded the order number for the flag poles since I decided that such a sum could be spent on better things for the car :)

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe - RIP
10,014 Posts
Do you think those are 15" or 16" rims on that car? I think my wheels look so small and I have dangerous tread on them now as I don't want to put tires on wheels I don't want to keep... :/

On Topic: Do a search for "Pennant Pole" or "Flag Pole" or "Standard Pole" (standard being a term for a flag or banner) They are option codes in the 900's.
Those are 16's and I think what with Snibble being a Sr. Mod here and one of the experts on MB's and AMG's He would have by now done several searches...

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
parking poles

At the last meeting of the Mercedes W123 group at the Mercedes Benz Classic Center USA in Irvine, I asked Tom Hansen in the parts department about these.

He did not what I was talking about, so I took him out to the parking lot and personally showed him one that providentially happened to be on a W126 of a guest in his lot.

So having seen one on a car and knowing it existed, he told me that day he would have to "start researching it".

When I am back at the Classic Center this Saturday for the big gtg I will have to ask him again!

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,939 Posts
I have one off my 1995 W124 E420 that came from Japan. I took it off. Below is a couple of pics of it. The only "part #" i see is a 12403 on the bracket - I suppose each chassis has a specific bracket.

Al
Atlanta, GA

Attachments

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,498 Posts
Jonathon1 is not Jono, but a forum member from Orange County CA I believe.
It was his car that Cascade refers to at the classic center.

WOW! Jonathon1's parking wand is clear plastic instead of what is on the one pictured here.

·
Premium Member
10,014 Posts
alydon - Did you want to sell it to Snibble? I know he's asleep right now with the time diff. But I know he would love to have it. I'll call dibs on his behalf.

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha... thanks for your concern Michael;)

I think Al is correct, that the flag poles were made for each chassis. The height difference between the bumper and hood are different between the 2 chassis so it won't really fit. Will be on a look out for a W126 one:p

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Shipped to cascade this morning; thanks very much Al.

·
Registered
91 560SEC Beryl/Palomino 91 420SEL Black Pearl/Mushroom 89 420SEL Ice Blue/Navy 88 420SEL 94 E320
802 Posts
I am awaiting shipment of one of these any day for the 126. If i spot numbers on it I will post them.
Bruce

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jim, if you bought the Assist pole for the SEC, you'll have fitment issues. First its for the W124 and the first three digits tell you this. If you look at the horizontal base plate (the base that attaches to the bumper), its very short. A W126 version would have to be longer to clear over the chrome on the bumper I would imagine. Height of the pole is also another issue, although I'm not 100% certain (however the pole itself COULD be the same and just the horizontal base plate is different). Its designed so when you're sitting at the seat, you should be able to just see the Mercedes logo... and since its off a W124, I am curious if the height would be right.

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,242 Posts
Jim, if you bought the Assist pole for the SEC, you'll have fitment issues. First its for the W124 and the first three digits tell you this. If you look at the horizontal base plate, its very short. A W126 version would have to be longer to clear over the chrome on the bumper I would imagine. Height of the pole is also another issue, although I'm not 100% certain. Its designed so when you're sitting at the seat, you should be able to just see the Mercedes logo... and since its off a W124, I am curious if the height would be right.
I recently came across a CL ad for an W126 SEL that had this mounted. Can't find the listing...

·
Registered
91 560SEC Beryl/Palomino 91 420SEL Black Pearl/Mushroom 89 420SEL Ice Blue/Navy 88 420SEL 94 E320
802 Posts
Just received the parking pole. It has no numbers on it, but it did not have the mounting plate with it.
The hunt is on AGAIN!
Bruce
BENZITCH

·
Premium Member
10,014 Posts
Jim, if you bought the Assist pole for the SEC, you'll have fitment issues. First its for the W124 and the first three digits tell you this. If you look at the horizontal base plate (the base that attaches to the bumper), its very short. A W126 version would have to be longer to clear over the chrome on the bumper I would imagine. Height of the pole is also another issue, although I'm not 100% certain (however the pole itself COULD be the same and just the horizontal base plate is different). Its designed so when you're sitting at the seat, you should be able to just see the Mercedes logo... and since its off a W124, I am curious if the height would be right.
Snibble - I talked to Jim about his purchase. Seems he saw that I called it for you and he went and bought it anyways so that you could not have it.

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just received the parking pole. It has no numbers on it, but it did not have the mounting plate with it.
The hunt is on AGAIN!
Bruce
BENZITCH
Bruce, you only got the metal pole with the mercedes logo at the top? I think the part number is written on the base somewhere.

I, too did not find the part # yet... if I do, will post it.

Reactions: benzitch

·
Registered
802 Posts
Bruce, you only got the metal pole with the mercedes logo at the top? I think the part number is written on the base somewhere.

I, too did not find the part # yet... if I do, will post it.
Thanks it would help in locating the base hopefully.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts