Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

561 - 567 of 567 Posts

·
Registered
1955 300 SL
703 Posts
Some are in the Stanford collection, others I have not seen before. Certainly don't remember having seen a picture of Mailander before. For some reason I thought he would have been an older man. We are all very thankful he took those pictures and that they have been preserved.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #563 (Edited)
Some are in the Stanford collection, others I have not seen before. Certainly don't remember having seen a picture of Mailander before. For some reason I thought he would have been an older man. We are all very thankful he took those pictures and that they have been preserved.
Small history:
"Rudolfo Mailander was born in Milan; his parents were of German origin. The name "Mailander" means "a person from Milan". As a youth, he spent much of his time between Paris, Stuttgart and Milan, learning several languages in the process. Being fluent in German, French and Italian was to be key to his success as a racing photographer and journalist. After the war, he bought a Leica with three Zeiss lenses, the standard 50 mm, a 90mm and the long lense was a 135mm!! He began reporting on the German industry for Giovanni Canestrini, then editor of L’Automobile. By 1950 he was reporting races, starting with Monte Carlo. Suddenly he was sending material to Automobil Revue, Automobile Year, Autocourse and The Autocar. Most US enthusiasts first noted his work in Auto magazine, published by Petersen. Mailander was a busy guy, as after the war there were races every weekend. "I went from one race event to the next, often traveling by night….Everyone was champing (sic) at the bit to make up for lost time."
At the height of his fame as a photo/journalist, Rudy Mailander went to work for Daimler-Benz in the press office, helping improve relations with foreign journalists. He got married, and sold his Leica. The book ends at this point, late in 1955. Mailander then went to work for Fiat in Turin, and never again used his immense skills as a photographer."
https://www.velocetoday.com/lifestyle/lifestyle_54.php

·
Registered
1955 300 SL
703 Posts
Thanks for the Mailander history and photos. That's not just any 300 SL that he's sitting in but rather the singular transaxle prototype W194/11. Identity of the car is confirmed by the door fittings, 4-spoke steering wheel, gas tank in rear of passenger compartment, gas fill pipe through rear window and chrome trim spears in front of door opening. Here's a picture of the same car in later years:

561 - 567 of 567 Posts