Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2024 SL770
46,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2007 Mercedes-Benz C-Class leverages Nuance speech solutions to provide drivers with new levels of safety and convenience when using the car’s audio, navigation and communication systems. The car’s new in-vehicle control system, called “Command APS” by Mercedes-Benz, enables drivers to use their voice to select contacts from their phone address book, select music, or input addresses to the navigation system. DaimlerChrysler presented the in-vehicle navigation application and the voice-activated user interface as an option in the new C-Class at the Geneva Car Show 2007.

The new speech features of Command APS make it faster and easier to interact with a car’s audio, navigation and telecommunication systems. With Command APS, drivers can place calls by voice, listen to their text messages, control the audio systems and enter the destination for their navigation system by voice. Powered by Nuance VoCon, the embedded speech recognition software, the system allows the driver to control in-car functions in a natural and intuitive way. In addition, Nuance’s RealSpeak text-to-speech software is used to convert text into speech for readout of incoming text messages or turn-by-turn directions.

Drivers can formulate speech commands in many different ways without the need to use a small set of precise commands or to follow a multi-layer menu structure. For example, drivers can say, “Call Peter Miller” to initiate a phone call, eliminating the multiple voice commands required by previous speech systems. Drivers may also say, “Radio station WDR2,” to tune to a specific radio station without ever setting voice tags for specific channels. Command APS is “fluent” in US and UK-English, German, French, Italian, Spanish and Dutch, so drivers can select a language on-the-fly.

“As traffic volumes continue to increase, and car infotainment and communication systems become more sophisticated, speech technology provides the safest – and most convenient – interface to a car’s audio, navigation and communication systems,” says Craig Peddie, vice president and general manager, embedded speech, Nuance. “The Mercedes-Benz C-Class is one of the most comprehensive installations of voice features we have seen to date. The new model features a navigation device that allows drivers to enter their destination verbally — one of the most important features to increase safety and improve overall experience with a navigation system.”

Specific features of Command APS powered by Nuance speech solutions include:

Voice-activated destination entry: Drivers can simply say their destination address instead of having to type it on a touch-screen keypad. The voice interface reads out all information including street names and traffic information. The US system even allows users to enter the street name first, which means that in a state like California, it has over 200,000 street names in its active vocabulary.

Voice-activated, hands-free calling: Drivers can simply press the “Push to Talk” button on the steering wheel, and then say the name of the person to call. The system will automatically connect with the names in the mobile phone’s contact list without any pre-enrollment of the names required.

Audible text messages: The system converts text messages received on the handset to audio and reads them out loud. The system is sophisticated enough to translate commonly used text messaging expressions such as “LOL.”

Voice-activated music: With command and control of the audio and video system, a radio station can be selected by voice, both speaking the number of the frequency in natural numbers or by saying the name of the radio station. In addition it is also possible to select a track on the CD by simply saying, “Play Track 5.”

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Ron, how does this differ from the system in the 2007 S550? I know you can speak a destination into the NAV but that is all I have seen them do.

·
Registered
C270 CDI Avantgarde SE Sport (Estate) 2005 Iridium Silver/Black leather/ COMAND
15 Posts
Small point, there is only 1 m in COMAND

COMAND. Cockpit Management And Navigation Device

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
You are correct, I didn't notice that in the original post. Cheers to the UK! ;)

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
I'd like to see it action. Sounds pretty cool!

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
Except for the text msg readback the 3 series BMW have that type of voice recognition if equipped with iDrive. Using the voice system allows the driver to bypass the multiple menu layers in iDrive and allows far more direct and rapid access to the controls. In most situations I have found using the voice system to get direct access to the area I need to get to is fast and easy and does not require me to look at a menu to make my choices although the display screen does list the choices you have and you can use the iDrive controller like the scroll wheel on your computer mouse to scan and select from the menu. Although complex and at times a difficult interface to follow, iDrive does give the owner access to a level of feature control that most MB owners never see because such control is only open if you have access to STAR and know in advance if STAR has access to that feature. Lets all hope that MBNA finally sees fit to allow buyers of cars like the C Class in North America the same option choices that buyers in the rest of the world have.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2024 SL770
46,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Musikmann said:
Ron, how does this differ from the system in the 2007 S550? I know you can speak a destination into the NAV but that is all I have seen them do.
I really don't know, my friend -- I just read the article like you.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
GermanStar said:
I really don't know, my friend -- I just read the article like you.
Thanks for the info and the post. I'll try reading a bit more about all of this. Before it's all over, these MBs will no longer need us in the pilot's seat. :)

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Similar to VR option

GermanStar said:
Voice-activated music: With command and control of the audio and video system, a radio station can be selected by voice, both speaking the number of the frequency in natural numbers or by saying the name of the radio station. In addition it is also possible to select a track on the CD by simply saying, “Play Track 5.”
By the way, I can do this now with my Voice Recognition option. Well, at least I can request the station by frequency, I have never tried asking it to find WABC.

·
Registered
07 SL55 AMG Designo White 2011 ML63 AMG Designo White
77 Posts
GermanStar said:
The 2007 Mercedes-Benz C-Class leverages Nuance speech solutions to provide drivers with new levels of safety and convenience when using the car’s audio, navigation and communication systems. The car’s new in-vehicle control system, called “Command APS” by Mercedes-Benz, enables drivers to use their voice to select contacts from their phone address book, select music, or input addresses to the navigation system. DaimlerChrysler presented the in-vehicle navigation application and the voice-activated user interface as an option in the new C-Class at the Geneva Car Show 2007.

The new speech features of Command APS make it faster and easier to interact with a car’s audio, navigation and telecommunication systems. With Command APS, drivers can place calls by voice, listen to their text messages, control the audio systems and enter the destination for their navigation system by voice. Powered by Nuance VoCon, the embedded speech recognition software, the system allows the driver to control in-car functions in a natural and intuitive way. In addition, Nuance’s RealSpeak text-to-speech software is used to convert text into speech for readout of incoming text messages or turn-by-turn directions.

Drivers can formulate speech commands in many different ways without the need to use a small set of precise commands or to follow a multi-layer menu structure. For example, drivers can say, “Call Peter Miller” to initiate a phone call, eliminating the multiple voice commands required by previous speech systems. Drivers may also say, “Radio station WDR2,” to tune to a specific radio station without ever setting voice tags for specific channels. Command APS is “fluent” in US and UK-English, German, French, Italian, Spanish and Dutch, so drivers can select a language on-the-fly.

“As traffic volumes continue to increase, and car infotainment and communication systems become more sophisticated, speech technology provides the safest – and most convenient – interface to a car’s audio, navigation and communication systems,” says Craig Peddie, vice president and general manager, embedded speech, Nuance. “The Mercedes-Benz C-Class is one of the most comprehensive installations of voice features we have seen to date. The new model features a navigation device that allows drivers to enter their destination verbally — one of the most important features to increase safety and improve overall experience with a navigation system.”

Specific features of Command APS powered by Nuance speech solutions include:

Voice-activated destination entry: Drivers can simply say their destination address instead of having to type it on a touch-screen keypad. The voice interface reads out all information including street names and traffic information. The US system even allows users to enter the street name first, which means that in a state like California, it has over 200,000 street names in its active vocabulary.

Voice-activated, hands-free calling: Drivers can simply press the “Push to Talk” button on the steering wheel, and then say the name of the person to call. The system will automatically connect with the names in the mobile phone’s contact list without any pre-enrollment of the names required.

Audible text messages: The system converts text messages received on the handset to audio and reads them out loud. The system is sophisticated enough to translate commonly used text messaging expressions such as “LOL.”

I am just curious......I have an 05 CL55 with voice activation and bluetooth cell phone and I have been able to do this for 2 years.........?

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
kompukard said:
I am just curious......I have an 05 CL55 with voice activation and bluetooth cell phone and I have been able to do this for 2 years.........?
Read the article. There's a lot more to it than the voice activation in your CL55. Lot's of improved and new little things that make all the difference.

·
Registered
07 SL55 AMG Designo White 2011 ML63 AMG Designo White
77 Posts
asianml said:
Read the article. There's a lot more to it than the voice activation in your CL55. Lot's of improved and new little things that make all the difference.
I read it again and it looks to me that the only difference is the layered command system........meaning to input a nav destination If not on the navigation already I have to say navigation - input destination then input city - street -start route guidance.

looks like repackaging technology to create demand in an already tight auto market.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 GL450 and it has a P1 package. I just bought a bluetooth device, the latest one, and it works great. However I next wanted to get the voice commands working.I went to ser on the command screen and it did not have the VCtips icon on the screen. I called my mercedes dealer and he looked up my vin number and he told me that we don't have voice commands on this model. We have the voice command buttons but not the right software. Is there new software available to allow this fuction to work? On a 70K vehicle this is a small item for Mercedes to cheat on don't yoou think?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts