Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 A180 ended up displaying the warning message "Without changing gear consult workshop"'.

Background/Symptoms

Automatic with the start/stop function.
Message would display after the engine start/stop would engage (at traffic signal or stop sign etc).
Had to restart the engine with the key as it the would not restart after taking your foot from the brake pedal.
No noticeable issue with driving the car. No other noises or performance problems
If you disengaged the start/stop function no issues. No warnings for faults.

Fix

Checked with OBDII reader but no faults displayed (very cheap OBDII and phone app so not surprised nothing was displayed)
Kept driving the car for another 2 weeks but always disengaged the 'eco' start/stop function. No more warning messages.
After about 2 weeks a new message appeared. "Auxiliary Battery Malfunction".

Replaced the auxiliary battery as this is what affects the start/stop function.

Battery World AUD $195 installed (10 minute job).

Mercedes Dealer AUD $326 - part only

The battery is located in the front passengers footwell against the fire wall. Just need to pull the carpet back and remove the top cover to expose the battery terminals

(The passenger sits on left hand side of the car in Australia).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Auter a day I trye again and it was functional the start stop was working but after the engine start the eco start stop automatically go of

·
Registered
2 Posts
2014 A180 ended up displaying the warning message "Without changing gear consult workshop"'.

Background/Symptoms

Message would display after the engine start/stop would engage (at traffic signal or stop sign etc).
Had to restart the engine with the key as it the would not restart after taking your foot from the brake pedal.
No noticeable issue with driving the car. No other noises or performance problems

Fix

Checked with OBDII reader but no faults displayed (very cheap OBDII and phone app so not surprised nothing was displayed)
Kept driving the car for another 2 weeks but always disengaged the 'eco' start/stop function. No more warning messages.

Replaced the auxiliary battery as this is what affects the start/stop function.ome tv

The battery is located in the front passengers footwell against the fire wall. Just need to pull the carpet back and remove the top cover to expose the battery terminals bazoocam

Thanks, My issue has been solved now.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Background/Symptoms

Fix

Replaced the auxiliary battery as this is what affects the start/stop function.

The battery is located in the front passengers footwell against the fire wall. Just need to pull the carpet back and remove the top cover to expose the battery terminals

Hi, this is happening to my car too but I dont get the auxiliary battery malfunction alert, I have seen the consult workshop alert and am sure I had one that said something about not being in gear or transmission malfunction. I have had the auxiliary battery replaced not long ago. Could it be something else as getting worried now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, this is happening to my car too but I don't get the auxiliary battery malfunction alert, I have seen the consult workshop alert and am sure I had one that said something about not being in gear or transmission malfunction. I have had the auxiliary battery replaced not long ago. Could it be something else as getting worried now.
You need to run through the process again.

1. When you drive your car again, as soon as you start the car you need to disengaged the auto start/stop function on the car. Drive the car as you would normally but with the auto start /stop function turned off. If you don't get a message (any message) and more importantly the car doesn't stop and need to be restarted with the key then you need to take another look at the auxiliary battery and the system relating. There is a chance the battery is faulty or potentially not installed properly. for example a terminal could be loose.

You can also check the charge in the battery. For example, if it's a 12V battery then when you test it it needs to have 12V or more. If less then the battery needs to be checked properly for function.

Also, I didn't get the message "auxiliary battery malfunction alert". That would make it too easy for the owner to fix without taking it back to the dealership only to have some boffin look at it for some exorbitant fee and then provide the wrong diagnosis. I got "Without changing gear consult workshop". A ridiculous message that provides no clue to the mechanical problem.

Just think you are stranded in the middle of Oz. Legit car mechanics don't have computers to hook to cars for it only to come back saying 'No'.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You need to run through the process again.

1. When you drive your car again, as soon as you start the car you need to disengaged the auto start/stop function on the car. Drive the car as you would normally but with the auto start /stop function turned off. If you don't get a message (any message) and more importantly the car doesn't stop and need to be restarted with the key then you need to take another look at the auxiliary battery and the system relating. There is a chance the battery is faulty or potentially not installed properly. for example a terminal could be loose.

You can also check the charge in the battery. For example, if it's a 12V battery then when you test it it needs to have 12V or more. If less then the battery needs to be checked properly for function.

Also, I didn't get the message "auxiliary battery malfunction alert". That would make it too easy for the owner to fix without taking it back to the dealership only to have some boffin look at it for some exorbitant fee and then provide the wrong diagnosis. I got "Without changing gear consult workshop". A ridiculous message that provides no clue to the mechanical problem.

Just think you are stranded in the middle of Oz. Legit car mechanics don't have computers to hook to cars for it only to come back saying 'No'.
Thank you so much, Andrew. I’ll check the battery in the first instance. Fingers crossed that’s all it is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts