Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Benz 300E 2.6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a college student and on a budget. I'm aware of the fact that you get what you pay for. How much would it cost more or less to get a paint job done? And how much would it cost to get the interior done?

·
Registered
88 Benz 260E
534 Posts
First off I would ask you where you're from. Price does vary from place to place. I'm guessing you're not really going after show quality. Paint & interior work falls under "You get what you pay for."
Paint anything semi-decent beyond Earl Scheib or Maaco would run $2,500- 3,000. Interior wise if you go vinyl it could be as cheap as $600. Leather is going to be alot more pricey around $2,000. That's just for basic work nothing fancy or quality materials. If you're close to the border, you can go to TJ and get paint & interior easily done for under $2gs. It's not going to be high quality stuff, but I've seen some cars and it's not to bad for the price.

~Cali

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Considering what it costs to get paint and interior in order you would most likely be better off selling your car and buying a better example. Your $$ will go a lot further that way.

Just how bad is the paint/interior on your car?

Jonathan

·
Registered
90 Benz 300E 2.6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CaliE320 - 5/4/2005 11:06 AM

First off I would ask you where you're from. Price does vary from place to place. I'm guessing you're not really going after show quality. Paint & interior work falls under "You get what you pay for."
Paint anything semi-decent beyond Earl Scheib or Maaco would run $2,500- 3,000. Interior wise if you go vinyl it could be as cheap as $600. Leather is going to be alot more pricey around $2,000. That's just for basic work nothing fancy or quality materials. If you're close to the border, you can go to TJ and get paint & interior easily done for under $2gs. It's not going to be high quality stuff, but I've seen some cars and it's not to bad for the price.

~Cali
I live in California, and I have considered taking my car to TJ before for the interior work. Is Earl Scheib any good? I have one by my house. If I had to pay for their most expensive package, I would, because I really don't want to spend over 1K somewhere else. Do you have any experience with Earl Scheib or know someone who has taken their car there? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
88 Benz 260E
534 Posts
DO NOT take your car to Earl Scheib !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where in Cali are you?? If your in So Cal I can send you to a better place for paint & body . As for the interior do you have MB tex or leather? I can hook you up on that to!!!!!!!!!! Don't take it anywhere else . Come to the W124 car club meeting, so we can help you out...But for god's sake don't even consider taking that MB anywhere cheap like Earl or Maaco...

~Cali

·
Registered
90 Benz 300E 2.6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in Los Angeles, near downtown. The interior is all stock, so no leather. I'd like to make my interior all leather, but if you suggest vinyl, then I'd re-consider.

·
Registered
88 Benz 260E
534 Posts
L.A. that's good, I'm in L.A too, like I said go to one of our W124 car club meetings, let us take a look at your car in person. Then we can better recommend solutions. Well I suggested vinyl becuzz you're on a budget. MB TEX vinyl should run you around $600 or less at my friend's shop. The paint should be around $800 or so depending on how much body work they need to do. Is your body pretty straight with only door dings? Like I said it's not going to be show quality but a WHOLE lot better then Maaco or Earl Scheib. Don't worry it's going to come out looking good, I had some work done on another car awhile back with them.

Email me....

~Cali

·
Registered
2000 E430 1990 300CE
310 Posts
I just noticed all the mods to your 260E. Can you recommend a good source for the smoked tail lights. My son just bought his first benz, a pristine 92 300 CE and would like to get smoked tails for it. Already have seen clear fromt corners on ebay.

Could you post a pic of your car?

·
Registered
88 Benz 260E
534 Posts
Hoops,

All I can say is your son is a lucky guy to have a dad like you..For the smoked tail-lights I went with a German seller on Ebay. But I did alot of research before I bought them. There's quite a few sellers on there with smoked tail-lights, I went with somebody that sold Hella brands out of Germany. They're alot better quality then the others. They're cheap now should be around $100 or so.As for the pics there's a bunch in the W124 galleries just look up my folder...
Out of curiosity who's your team?

~Cali

·
Registered
Chevy Monte Carlo SS
189 Posts
For my paintjob, I paid $2,500. It was a really good price, the only catch was that I helped to work on my car. I helped with the sanding and removal of the bumpers, headlights etc. Hey, they wanted to charge me more, but I had to use my head in order to save. It is a really nice job, and looks amazing in the sun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts