Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I would just make an offer of $300 for both euro headlamps and see if they bite. The rest just looks awful :(

I personally think you'd have to be on some pretty hard drugs to consider that for a restore. The whole car needs to come apart and the rust would need to get addressed. Parting it out, there's just not many high demand parts shown there in good shape (from my experience; I've parted/am parting 3 full W126's and 2 collections of parts)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Faiz - Thanks for the many pictures and your thorough review of the SEC (it felt like we were there along for the ride).

I like this car and I don't see anything that is truly showstopper per se, I've seen way way worse.

My take would be to buy it, if it can be bought for a reasonable price, get it running and driving and then fix things along the way. Make it a fun project that does not have to be stressful or financially draining and at the end of the day have a super cool SEC that will continue to be cool, admired and something you can be proud of.

·
Premium Member
4,188 Posts
That coupe has spent a lot of time (possibly yrs) parked out in the open and not in a shed to have that much rust lurking everywhere, cooked interior & serious delam to the rear windscreen.
It does not look like an AMG to me based on the exhaust set-up and in my opinion just a kit added later with a poor quality paint job.
Check the rear diff plate if you go back and see what ratio is stamped and if it is LSD
Definitely it has not been maintained at all by whoever was driving it around last.

Basically your buying the AMG bodykit and the rest is a parts car
Unless you have the time & patience to deal with all the lurking rust, another rear window, full interior re-build, exterior paint as required and new wheels.
Of course before all that it is needed to find out if the engine has issues and the trans & diff, so it needs to to be driven to assess the engine/driveline.
Brake caliper pistons are most likely locked solid in the bores
The Clarion set-up requires some $$'s spent to re-furb it to good presentation/working order and another centre consul frame swapped in
Good resto project if you can get it at the right price (very cheap)

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
The clarion center console is worth $1000
The rest of the crappy car is worth $1000

Offer twenty crisp $100 bills and walk away . This guy got this car for free im
Sure

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
I really don't see $1k value on 30 year old car stereo components. It would cost at least $500 to get all that old technology to work correctly and sound mediocre compared to today's outstanding offerings. Yes it is nostalgic to some but still nothing really that special. KRH is on the money with his assessment of the car in general. I see nothing special or valuable with this car. Mike

41 - 47 of 47 Posts