Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I want to buy this Mercedes, I will go and see it tomorrow, the car stored in a barn for 15 years, doest it worth the money ? do you think that engine will run again after sitting ? let me know my friends before I call him again and gave him my word.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,271 Posts
Hello, I want to buy this Mercedes, I will go and see it tomorrow, the car stored in a barn for 15 years, doest it worth the money ? do you think that engine will run again after sitting ? let me know my friends before I call him again and gave him my word.

The pic of engine with intake should have shown whether the car has TRY-Y headers. The car will need a good amount of work and $. A dispassionate view of what the car would be worth in parts should help determine value (say there is extensive rust damage to under body etc).
My advice would be to under no circumstances make a deal without a PPI = pre purchase inspection done by a experienced Mercedes mechanic who knows older Mercedes, and he has to be hired by you. It's the best $300 or 350 you can spend.
Any existing paperwork, service history etc would help.
Perhaps some of the resident experts can decode the cars plaques for options etc.
I would wonder why there are no pictures of the cars seats / interior, and why the car is on CL instead of bring a trailer = BAT. Check for how long it has been offered FS and where.
Unless AMG did the engine, the car isn't worth anywhere near the asking price imo.
Best of luck

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
agree with above

lol stored inside

it could be just a coupe with period body kit which is fine...obviously it needs everything....and you would be a great candidate to do the work because u have shown to be very handy with DIY

get it for half price and u should be safe

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Wow, very nice. It could be the real deal, but if not its a Euro and it has some sweet parts on it, love the Clarion stack. I hope you get it Faiz, that would be an awesome car to own.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have the VIN checked by MB.Pre-mergers sometimes have a note like: „Car sent to AMG“ or similar. This would help to verify. Otherwise no way to confirm unless AMG does.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nearly identical to mine. AFAIK the individual text can be seen only by MB internals. Be careful, lots of crab out there.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all, I will let everybody know the condition of the car and take more pictures for you all, will try my best to inspect the car, also I will take a battery with me to see if I can give the engine a couple of cranks.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Disconnect the coil wire and also fuel pump relay to build oil pressure first. You do not want to start an engine that has been sitting dormant for many years, that is a sure fire way to damage it permanently.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The AMG is back with more pictures, and now for $12,500, I am going on Saturday but don't know if its really worth going through every single part in it during to age and sitting for 15 years. I contacted the seller and he sent me along story, I need an advice

(I have not started or am
going to start the motor
But I know the history
The man who owned originally drove it and one day it started missing a little
He was very wealthy
He was unhappy that it wasn't running smoothly and took it to a building he owned and parked it inside
Had some lady friends pick him up and take him to the nearest Cadillac dealer
He immediately bought himself a new Eldorado Cadillac paying cash
Then showing off bought two more Cadillacs paying cash again and left with three Cadillac's two of them giving them to his girl friends

He left the Mercedes in the building and never started or even tried to find out the issue for over 15 years

I met him a few years ago and when he found out I collected and restored cars for my own pleasure and hobby he told me about it
I ended up buying it but put into my storage building because I have three other car restorations ahead of it
A 66 El Camino, 73 Datsun 240z and a 72 Honda 600z air cooled coupe

So I need the space now and need the Mercedes to go to a good home

I pulled it out and have spent the last 3 weeks going thru it
Starting to really like it but I don't have the time and need space because of other cars

I hand turned the engine over
Then installed a new proper amp rated battery
Disconnected the two fuel lines as I didn't want any bad gas getting to the system
Bumped the ignition switch and no problems spinning briefly easily
Oil looked fine but it need oil and oil filter changed
Drained fuel tank which had a half a gallon
Tested fuel pump and it is out
I removed the bracketed fuel pump and filter and accumulator package which is externally mounted to the tank and easily replaced
Local parts houses have the pump and filter
I blew the fuel lines out and they were clean
But I'm not going any further because if I do I will end up keeping it because I know me
This Mercedes 500 SEC is really a super nice pillar-less V8 coupe

It is the European version with much of the nomenclature in German

Original jack and lug wrench
All German manufacturing documents, data etc

I only washes the exterior 3 weeks
ago which is shown in the before and after photos
Cleaned up very well

Because of dust buildup I removed all carpets and seats and
shampooed and leather detailed everything several times and reinstalled
Power window and power sunroof work
No cracks or chips in any glass
AMG chrome
Trim cleaned up excellent and I have only made one pass polishing

Engine seems
To be intact and a
time capsule not being driven or started for over 15 years

Fluids all looked good when I first inspected but on my opinion all need to be changed including brake fluids

Spark plug wires are brittle and integrity is compromised to where they will misfire due to condition

I didn't remove valve covers but took a peek with remote flexible lighted camera they breather holes
Looks good but on my opinion the covers should be removed and all exposed moving rocker etc parts need a good coat of break in oil before trying to start

Also though I drained the gas I would replace the pump etc and run some
Clean gas they redirecting to a tank and the inject head wiring to get clean gas before I actually ran it into the engine for a first startup
All the hoses look amazingly and the rubber trim at windows and trunk etc great condition

ARE wheels
Will clean up really well as O ran a little sample area and no problem they will look great once detailed

This car is a great Mercedes model in my opinion and has tremendous potential
This Bruno Italian body style still looks great in my opinion where most cars in the 80's were terrible

Anyway it remains for sale as it's covered and I stopping any further prep work because if I continue I will end
up restoring much later and driving it

If you choose to come
out Saturday let me know and we will make a plan)

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
from one faiz to another....i smell BS

1 - 20 of 47 Posts