Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1960 190B, 1981 300TDT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My -92 320 has been sitting still for about 2 months due to me being out of town working. When i got home this week i went to start it up, the battery was dead and wouldnt take charge so i used jumper cables, after about 5 minutes of grinding the starter it fired up and ran perfectly.

I took it for a spin and then got home i turned it off and tried to start it back up and it wouldnt fire.
The next day i bought a new battery and it started a little bit easier, drove for a while, turned it off and now it wont start at all.

I checked for spark and there was none. Any ideas? Ignition coils? Is there any way to measure these with a multimeter? Very grateful for fast answers.

·
Registered
1960 190B, 1981 300TDT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Spark plugs and cables replaced today, still wont start.

One more thing i forgot to add, from the moment i got home and tried to start it the first time the car alarm has been really wierd. Going off by itself now and then, wont turn off sometimes etc, a bit hard to explain.

The car alarm is a CarGard 850S, anyone here have experience with it? How can i disable it? Maybe it has something to do with the alarm not working properly.

·
Registered
1960 190B, 1981 300TDT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the OVP relay today, noticed quite a lot of water under and around the battery.
The relay itself looked newley installed (Also found an old one in the glove compartment, probably replaced by the previous owner), but when i removed it the pins where pretty corroded, sanded the pins and sprayed some electricalspray and put it back together but still nothing.

Could the relay be damaged? Read about other people with similar problems where the OVP relay was the cause. Is it possible to test this in any way or should i just order a new relay right away?

I also tried to start the car in neutral = nothing. Found help from another site how to measure the ignition coils so im going to do that tomorrow.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,745 Posts
The "CarGard 850S" is your problem. Look into the reset procedure for the system or disconnect it.

Jayare

·
Registered
1960 190B, 1981 300TDT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The "CarGard 850S" is your problem. Look into the reset procedure for the system or disconnect it.

Jayare
Replaced the OVP now and still nothing. Does anybody know how to reset or disable this alarm?

EDIT: Noticed the fuel pump isnt running as well, no power after the relay. Used a separate battery to power the fuel pump and it ran, but the car still wouldnt start. Is the fuel pump relay connected in some way to the ignition?

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,745 Posts
Get online and find the install instructions for this aftermarket alarm. It is THE problem. Just take the thing out and your problems will be solved.

·
Registered
1960 190B, 1981 300TDT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get online and find the install instructions for this aftermarket alarm. It is THE problem. Just take the thing out and your problems will be solved.
Talked to the local cargard dealership and they could remove the alarm tomorrow. Couldnt find any install instructions for it and apparently its very hard to come by because CarGard doesent give it out to anybody.

Thank you for the replys! I will post the result tomorrow.

·
Registered
1960 190B, 1981 300TDT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the alarm wasnt the problem either. Other ideas? Getting ready to strip the car down and sell it as parts now.

·
Registered
1960 190B, 1981 300TDT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Noticed one more thing today, havent really thought about it before but the tachometer goes crazy when i crank. Jumps up to 7000rpm and back all the time.

·
Registered
1960 190B, 1981 300TDT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
engine cable trunk (is that right) replaced, still nothing. I got a tip that it might be the Crank Shaft Position sensor. Or could i have shot the PTU? The cable trunk was very bad under the isolation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts