Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes 300e
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im trying to figure out what could be causing this, but my 300e has an idle which floats between 600-700 rpm in a repeating pattern, I presume that isn't normal? I've changed spark plugs, leads, air filter, oil and oil filter which hasn't helped. There is also a very strong smell coming from the exhaust, no smoke though. I'm no expert when it comes to cars as you can probably tell so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
917 Posts
Hi im trying to figure out what could be causing this, but my 300e has an idle which floats between 600-700 rpm in a repeating pattern, I presume that isn't normal? I've changed spark plugs, leads, air filter, oil and oil filter which hasn't helped. There is also a very strong smell coming from the exhaust, no smoke though. I'm no expert when it comes to cars as you can probably tell so any help would be appreciated.
Start with the cheap stuff: distributor cap/rotor. Make sure all your HT is original MB or Bosch/Beru as second best. Make sure it is all in 1st rate order.

Ensure you have NO inlet air leaks. You need to check all pipes and hoses for splits. I seem to find a split vacuum hose every time I play with the car.

When all that's done, check the fuel delivery duty cycle and adjust accordingly. A meter to do this is worth buying for less than €50.

When you're confident with those simple, cheap things, delve deeper into fuel delivery issues etc.

Bon courage.

RayH

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes 300e
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Start with the cheap stuff: distributor cap/rotor. Make sure all your HT is original MB or Bosch/Beru as second best. Make sure it is all in 1st rate order.

Ensure you have NO inlet air leaks. You need to check all pipes and hoses for splits. I seem to find a split vacuum hose every time I play with the car.

When all that's done, check the fuel delivery duty cycle and adjust accordingly. A meter to do this is worth buying for less than €50.

When you're confident with those simple, cheap things, delve deeper into fuel delivery issues etc.

Bon courage.

RayH
Thanks, is there any diagrams of the vacuum system around?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts