Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum members. I am a huge enthusiast of the w126 series cars having owned 4 of them. It all started with my 1991 300 sel. I've had the car for a long time and finally have the parts to swap it to a 5 speed manual transmission. They where never sold in the usa in SE or SEL variants. Parts car was a euro imported 300 se. I pulled everything trans related as you need all of it to fit into the SEL

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,770 Posts
Was the 300se a manual trans car? I think the rarest part is the dual mass flywheel with the crank position sensor pickups. I’ve got a 1985 190e 5-speed trans, two 280se 4-speed cars, and a 300se automatic and have to admit that trying to make the rust free 300se into a manual trans car has crossed my mind. The flywheel is the only part I don’t have to make my swap work. I believe there are ways to do it without it though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I aim to document the whole process of manual swapping a usa 300 se or sel mercedes but this will apply to the 280 and the w124 class as well.
You will need the following

5 speed manual trans for m103 engines (6 cylinder only)
3 w126 spec shift rods
W126 spec shifter assembly
W126 spec clutch and brake pedal assembly
Any 6 cy m103 dualmass flywheel
Clutch disk and pressure plate
Pilot bearing and throwout bearings
Any automatic trans kickdown plug (manual reverse light)
Shift linkage clips
Plugs for auto cooler line fitting in radiator
Brake fluid reservoir (pre molded clutch feed on all of them)
Mercedes manual gearbox oil
New shift bushings
New shifter assembly bushings
W126 spec manual transmission mount
Front driveshaft from w126 300se
(Or have existing shaft extended)
New driveshaft bearings and carrier

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
thats awesome chris....hey we met at the bohnams tent last yr in monterey...will u be at the events this yr...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Just FYI, do t go gaga over the dual mass flywheel. Its a total overkill on a straight 6 that’s already a super smooth engine by it’s design. It’s significantly heavier than a standard flywheel, and much more expensive.
Unless you’re a complete doofus with clutch applications, you’ll be happier with the standard clutch.
Dual mass is great for engines that are not as smooth, ie 4 bangers and diesels.
Great project. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
roadhouse
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing