Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy one of these late 70s early 80s cars. Anything I should watch out for. Are both the gasoline and diesel motors rock solid reliable? Any bad years etc. How long do the 5 cyl diesel motors last? Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Deisels last a lifetime!

a MBZ mechanic, he is my good friend, told me that when he was working, he seen 300 series deisel mercedes benz with around 400k miles and still running fine. My old deisel ran for 194k if it was not for that blasted kid who smashed my car and didnt have insurance, but curse me for only having liability!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tom--<br>
I have an '85 300CD w/ 228K on it. I think it would easily go another 200+. We have minor things that could be cosmetically fixed, but it is a daily driver and very reliable. I've been in & around the car for almost 10 years now.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 5-cylinder turbo-diesel will outlast the gasoline version 2 to 1. I've owned mostly the wagon 300 TD version and have had excellent results in all kinds of condtions. Diesel fuel is not as cheap as it once was, but more readily available and cleaner.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Deisels last a lifetime!

I have a question about an 85 300 CD. Im looking at getting one and i want to know if it is a good idea or not. the car has 333,500 miles on itbut supposedly the engine was re-built last year. it also has 17' amg rims on it. from what i can see there are no real problem and the guy sellingit says there are no problems aside from a small hole from rust. i was just wondering if $5,200 was a good price or not. ilooked on kelley blue book and they said it should be $3450 at the most.<br> can you help?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an 83 300CD with 466,000 miles on it. I also have AMG wheels with michelin pilot sport tires. Thats probably why he wanted 2k more because my wheels and tires were 2300 dollars.<br> <br> The Deisels are great. Just keep them maintained. The 280CE with the stick is fast.<br> <br> Austin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.