Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning after 10 years, my soft top is not very tight and slightly dented,when it rains, water collects in the resulting recesses, the soft roof no longer looks aesthetically pleasing Any of you had such a problem? can it somehow be brought back to its original state? thank you for any help ... greetings from Poland
Tire Wheel Car Hood Automotive tire
Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Wood Asphalt

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
12,357 Posts
On new tops, soaking with water and then leaving in sun gets fabric to pull tight. But your top is 10yrs old. My top got tighter over time. But it doesn't get used much. Maybe you could adjust the wire at the back so the straps will be pulled tighter?

By the way, the top doesn't really look that bad!

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I don't know how to tighten your soft top. I just wanted to say that I don't think it looks notably bad either. I would never have thought there was something wrong with it. It's in good shape for a ten year old soft top.

Rain pooling in it is probably not great, though, and I understand why you'd want to get it fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I wet it with water and expose it to the sun?
On new tops, soaking with water and then leaving in sun gets fabric to pull tight. But your top is 10yrs old. My top got tighter over time. But it doesn't get used much. Maybe you could adjust the wire at the back so the straps will be pulled tighter?

By the way, the top doesn't really look that bad!

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
32,327 Posts
That's a good first start.

There should be a wire rope in the center of the rear "window".

Is it tight when the top is latched down fully?

·
Premium Member
12,357 Posts
Try that first, but this may not be the best time of the year! Not sure if the fabric will still shrink when it has been on for 10 years!

As previously mentioned, look at the rear wire and adjust it if it is not really tight when the top is up. It is attached at the upper end with a set screw. You will need to peel back the covering to get at it. If shortening the wire seems to help, perhaps you may need a new one to get it properly clamped. Bottom end of wire is not adjustable.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL,E350
4,240 Posts
Depending on where you live, it may no longer be warm enough or the sun high enough for the "leave soaking wet in the sun" method to be effective, especially at your latitude. In fact I would worry about it drying out enough before possibly folding it back into the boot. Some on this board have done this and wound up with a hopeless mildewed mess in the spring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

rather not tense until the end -75%

rather not tense until the end -75%

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
how to get to this item ?? How do I take off this piece of covering ? I am able to do it on my own?
Try that first, but this may not be the best time of the year! Not sure if the fabric will still shrink when it has been on for 10 years!

As previously mentioned, look at the rear wire and adjust it if it is not really tight when the top is up. It is attached at the upper end with a set screw. You will need to peel back the covering to get at it. If shortening the wire seems to help, perhaps you may need

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will not take a risk this year, I will wait until next season and summer
Depending on where you live, it may no longer be warm enough or the sun high enough for the "leave soaking wet in the sun" method to be effective, especially at your latitude. In fact I would worry about it drying out enough before possibly foldin

·
Premium Member
12,357 Posts
how to get to this item ?? How do I take off this piece of covering ? I am able to do it on my own?
If you follow the wire up to the top where it goes into the rear top frame/tube, you should find a small join in the covering. You should be able to peel it back. If not maybe use hair-dryer to soften adhesive or apply some solvent. You should see the screw and the end of the wire. You can the pull it through a little and reclamp. There should be pictures here showing the wire clamp. I couldn't find them. I found this poor picture on my hard drive - my wire before replacing top! Wire passes through tubing then extra length is taped over. Screw clamps wire.
Tool Wood Close-up Metal Electric blue

Wood Material property Rectangle Gas Bumper

NOTE: Wire length is not same for all tops. Price of that wire is crazy at car parts stores. It is just a piece of wire with a copper stop swaged on bottom end. I made my own for a few dollars. Marine store should be able to too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you follow the wire up to the top where it goes into the rear top frame/tube, you should find a small join in the covering. You should be able to peel it back. If not maybe use hair-dryer to soften adhesive or apply some solvent. You should see the screw and the end of the wire. You can the pull it through a little and reclamp. There are pictures here. I would link, but not easy on phone.
If you follow the wire up to the top where it goes into the rear top frame/tube, you should find a small join in the covering. You should be able to peel it back. If not maybe use hair-dryer to soften adhesive or apply some solvent. You should see the screw and the end of the wire. You can the pull it through a little and reclamp. There are pictures here. I would link, but not easy on phone.
ok, great, thank you very much, I found pictures..what glue should I use to stick the material together after all?

·
Premium Member
12,357 Posts
ok, great, thank you very much, I found pictures..what glue should I use to stick the material together after all?
There are specialty adhesives, but for this little job, maybe just a tube of contact cement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts