Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Merc W114 280e 1974 model has stopped. Started to idle rough, hard to start and now wont fire at all. There is spark, the fuel pump is working and have fuel pressure.
Can anyone help with what the problem could be?
Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
A 280E is a 123 chassis, and is fuel injected. Is this a carburated 280C? If it is, it may be the float in the Solex 4 bbl. carb. Mine went bad over time, and became harder and harder to start, would die sometimes, and load up (flood) at idle. I adjusted (lowered) the float level a few times, but that is only a temporary fix. Floats are available and relatively inexpensive, also quite simple to replace. Just be sure you adjust it to specs. Also, check the choke for proper operation before you go any farther in troubleshooting. The choke is primarily electric, and if unplugged or inoperative, the choke will not unchoke properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No my car is a 1974 280E fuel injected. Symptoms started quickly from hard to start one day to stop the next after running perfectly for many years. Could this be the crank sensor? Are they known to have problems? The motor winds over freely, and could the engine balance slip or are they on keyways?
Fuel supply seems to be ok as the plugs are wet, spark is strong and all fuses seem to ok. This is this end of my mechanical knowledge can anyone help?

·
Registered
1973 W115 200 /8
895 Posts
A 280E is a 123 chassis, and is fuel injected. Is this a carburated 280C? If it is, it may be the float in the Solex 4 bbl. carb. Mine went bad over time, and became harder and harder to start, would die sometimes, and load up (flood) at idle. I adjusted (lowered) the float level a few times, but that is only a temporary fix. Floats are available and relatively inexpensive, also quite simple to replace. Just be sure you adjust it to specs. Also, check the choke for proper operation before you go any farther in troubleshooting. The choke is primarily electric, and if unplugged or inoperative, the choke will not unchoke properly.
Wrong There was a 280E with the M110 engine.. A W114 then..
http://www.strichachtclub.de/c_infos/c_infos_daten.php
It can be many things.. The warm-up regulator, the cold-start-nozzle, low voltage on the spark, etc etc..
Are the plugs wet ? Do the smell gas ?
Are they black ? White ? brown ?
Are the spark equally good on all plugs ?
Have you checked that ALL plugs get a "signal" ? Moving the strobe-lamp-sensor from one plug-cable to the next ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Eirik 400 SE,
Yes the spark plugs are wet and do smell of gas, and they are black.
Haven't had a chance to try your other ideas yet.
I have found melted wires to crank sensor, repearing that now
I'll get back to you,
Aussie Merc

·
Registered
1965 220SE sedan (finnie) with 450SE conversion, 1964 220SE coupe project, 1966 300SE coupe
449 Posts
mbbuff, I have to rebuff you (pardon the pun) - Australia got w114 cars with the M110 motor, both fuel injected (280E) and carbied (280).
Joelll, sorry I cannot add much more as I had the mis-pleasure of trying to get an M110 going in a W123 and it was a bugger. Vacuum lines, lots of sensors, many things associated with the injection and ignition that can go wrong and are in horrible places to get to. Hopefully Mercmad6.3 will post a response as he got the M110 going for me.
Cheers, Drew in Brisbane

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mines a w114 280ce, i had a duff coil in mine that made it run bad, needs the proper mercedes coil cos of the weird 18v transistorised ignition.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry Drew, you are correct. There are too many different .XXX after the W114 to keep up with. I stand "rebuffed".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 280 runs again.
After cleaning the cold start valve, taking all the spark plugs out to let the motor dry out for a day i left the cold start valve disconnected. First touch of the key it goes.
Thanks for your help.
P.S on the ECU there is an adjustable dial can anyone please tell me what this is for and if i can adjust mixture from there?

Thanks

·
Registered
71 300SEL, 16 BMW Z4, 58 MGA, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,385 Posts
The dial on the ECU controls fuel/air mixture...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice post. I am learning alot through people's reply. I am trying to learn about cars and parts and how each parts works. Atleast if i get my own car and if died or have trouble i can do something to fixed it. Thanks

·
Registered
1975 Mercedes 280E W114
18 Posts
mbbuff, I have to rebuff you (pardon the pun) - Australia got w114 cars with the M110 motor, both fuel injected (280E) and carbied (280).
Joelll, sorry I cannot add much more as I had the mis-pleasure of trying to get an M110 going in a W123 and it was a bugger. Vacuum lines, lots of sensors, many things associated with the injection and ignition that can go wrong and are in horrible places to get to. Hopefully Mercmad6.3 will post a response as he got the M110 going for me.
Cheers, Drew in Brisbane
Ahem.
Please observe gentlemen, the picture below. My W114 280E. M110 D-jetronic.

Another thing, where is the ECU dial??? My fuel is running way too rich...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts