Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I have a BMW 330Ci 2001 model with all options. It's a great car! But I'm looking for something with more power. I have approximately $25,000 to spend. I was considering an E34 M3 with a manual gearbox (not SMG). But I think I would be going backwards, considering I have an E46 BMW 330Ci. I want a car with power, luxury, safety, reliability, low maintenance costs and something that won't attract the police. I was thinking of a Merc CLK55 or Merc E55 (both 2000 models). Can anyone advice me of the pros and cons of the CLK55 and E55.

Or maybe a Audi S4 B6 or BMW M3 E46 (but I think the BMW will be out of my price range for a while). Can anyone advice me of the pros and cons of the CLK55 208, E55 210, BMW M3 E46 and Audi S4 B6. Cheers!

Ps. I live in Australia and I'm not sure if the Merc AMG's that are sold here are tuned / spec'd different to the European sold cars. Anyone know this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1984 280SE Euro, 1988 300SE, 2000 SL500, 2002 CLK55 AMG
574 Posts
E34 M3? Do you mean a E34 M5 or a E36 M3? Most E36 M3's I've come across have been treated very poorly and it's hard to find one in decent condition. I'd love to get an E34 M5 but they're very rare here in the states, I would definitely try finding one if I lived in a country where it was more widely available, the E34 5-series was quite possibly the best cars BMW ever made.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting a CLK55 AMG. I just love my car, it's really perfect in most every way. The power is just ridiculous. I hardly have to press on the gas to zoom by everyone; many times you won't even realize how fast you're going until you look at the speedometer! Only negative is the atrocious gas mileage. I don't drive much so I don't really care, but I know gas is ridiculously expensive in Australia so that's what I'd be concerned about if I were you.

I have the 02 model with every option, many of my friends have newer cars that still don't have half of the features as my 10 year old car, nor half the performance of the beast. Making it all the more hilarious is how much more they spent on a sub-par car over what I have.

As for the E55, don't know too much about the W210 E55 but it should be pretty much the same as the CLK55 except in 4-door form instead of a coupe. It really comes down to whether you prefer a sedan or a coupe (or convertible) to make your decision. Good luck on finding one in good shape, and hope to see pics when you get one!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks AMG Fantastic! Yes, I meant the E36 M3. And yes, I do believe most have been thrashed. True about the M5, awesome car and yes, very rare! A guy in the W210 E55 forum said that he thought the CLK55 has "suspension and system problems regarding reliability. Have you had any major / expensive costs on your car?

Yes, I will post some photos when I decide on a car!

2009 E350 W211 Arctic White (dads car)
105 Posts
Thanks AMG Fantastic! Yes, I meant the E36 M3. And yes, I do believe most have been thrashed. True about the M5, awesome car and yes, very rare! A guy in the W210 E55 forum said that he thought the CLK55 has "suspension and system problems regarding reliability. Have you had any major / expensive costs on your car?

Personally, I prefer the C209 which is the newer CLK and I think they look great, but that's just my two cents. I think the C209 and the R230 are probably on the list for the best looking Mercedes' ever!:)

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte, CL600, S500, BMW 330cic, E65 BMW 750LI. Dodge Ram
883 Posts
CLK55 is just an animal

you will love the car, and the lines will never make you tired of looking at it. The e55 wil blend in for sure but it does look a little of age at the moment.

Judge for yourself as far as looks. Ask any mech at the mercedes dealership and they will tell you "we never see these in the shop". The CLKs were a good build so they rareky are at the shop.

Whatever you get, enjoy the ride!!!!

·
Registered
1984 280SE Euro, 1988 300SE, 2000 SL500, 2002 CLK55 AMG
574 Posts

I've only put about 3000 miles on my car in over a year and a half of owning it, and never had any expensive repairs to speak of (knock on wood). I've just done basic maintenance work that needs to be done, luckily the previous owner kept most of his maintenance records and I was able to see if anything needed to be replaced or fixed, which it didn't.

My car has 111k miles on it, and still drives almost like new. I had a friend who had a CLK430 which had MUCH higher mileage than mine and ran great as well, up until his car completely locked up and it was totaled (he was perfectly fine though).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts