Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I have a BMW 330Ci 2001 model with all options. It's a great car! But I'm looking for something with more power. I have approximately $25,000 to spend. I was considering an E34 M3 with a manual gearbox (not SMG). But I think I would be going backwards, considering I have an E46 BMW 330Ci. I want a car with power, luxury, safety, reliability, low maintenance costs and something that won't attract the police. I was thinking of a Merc CLK55 or Merc E55 (both 2000 models). Can anyone advice me of the pros and cons of the CLK55 and E55.

Or maybe a Audi S4 B6 or BMW M3 E46 (but I think the BMW will be out of my price range for a while). Can anyone advice me of the pros and cons of the CLK55 208, E55 210, BMW M3 E46 and Audi S4 B6. Cheers!

Ps. I live in Australia and I'm not sure if the Merc AMG's that are sold here are tuned / spec'd different to the European sold cars. Anyone know this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2000 W210 E55 AMG, Silver/Black - Stock
611 Posts
The 2000 E55's are great cars and are quite powerful, but if you really want to acquire something that can go to stratospheric HP levels without much effort, try to get into a W211 2005+ E55 for that money.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Well...

Between the two models the W210 E55 is very reliable, with propoer enthruiast care, and will give you years/years and 200K mile use..

The CLK55 frankly, engine/tranny solid - again with prudent enthusiast care - but I would consider it less reliable suspension/system wise.

No coment on other brand, wouldn't be fair coming from a a committed Benz guy

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advice guys. Unfortunately, the E55 W211 is def out of my price range. They are currently worth over $50,000 here in Australia. I do love the look of the cars I have listed above. But the Audi doesn't seem to have the quality of the BMW's and Mercs. Especially the interior. I know the 2000+ W210 E55 has nicer interior and I believe a better gearbox, but I like the side skirts more so on the pre 2000 model as it's more slick. Tough decision for me to make.

·
Registered
W210 E55
149 Posts
I have both

BMW M & MB AMG cars. First, I think you're referring to the E36 M3 or E34 M5 or E39 M5 manual cars (SMG wasn't invented when these cars were built). 03-04 E46 M3 and E60 M5 were the first SMG cars. Assuming you're after a 4 door M car, I also considered the e36 M3 'sedan'. They tend to be abused & have high miles. I could not find one in what I would consider 'very good condition' or else I would not be in this forum. I really like them. If you can find a low mile W210 AMG THAT HAS LIVED LIFE IN DRY/RUST FREE ENVIRONMENT..go for it. You won't regret it. There is not a lot more power to be had cheaply, but some simple (cheap) exhaust mods can probably bring these cars dead even (or slightly better) with stock E39 M5 performance. They were only a hair off from the factory. I also considered the 1st v8 s4...but couldn't find one local with low mileage. Consider a 1 owner car and what that owner paid. It tends to be a bigger factor in how the car was treated. Good luck.

·
Banned
0 Posts
When it comes to the W210 E55s they're tanks and reliable as long as the maintenance is up to date. I bought mine with no records and spent several thousand dollars getting things taken care of with it (that was with a friend that works at an MB/BMW shop and does side jobs for me). The one big thing that will get you when it comes to maintenance is the front brakes. You're looking at around $600 USD just in parts. They also go through tires pretty quick and you can't rotate them due to the staggered wheels. I've had mine for a year and a half and have already bought 2 sets of tires for it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
W210 E55 seems to be the car to go for....

It looks like the E55 2000 model seems to be the car to choose. Or E36 M3 but I think that the M3's are more likely to be thrashed than the Merc. Most likely attract the wrong attention too (cops)!

My dads mate works in the car business and sells cars. Just spoke to him and he said a mate of his has a 2000 model E55 and as he has a few cars, he may be interested in selling it. It has 210,000kms on it though. However, he said the car has been well looked after and that, that is more important than the kms done on the car. If I have any luck, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
W210 E420/E50 AMG '97, BMW 116d 2012
14 Posts
rust free, perfect record, feels nice and tight and you are happy with options, I´d say go for it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts