Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days after driving through heavy rain and snow, my merc suddenly wouldn't start. When I put the key in the ignition the dash lights came on and there was a clicking sound. Garage merc techs told me I would have to either replace the ignition switch or steering lock mechanism (at a huge expense!). I suspected a moisture problem so managed to remove the cover under the steering column. Traced the clicking sound to the steering lock mechanism. Managed to unplug it.( not easy to reach!) sprayed q20 onto contacts.dried it off. Plugged it in again. Car starts again. Seems to be starting fine now. Saved myself a lot of money! Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car won't start.

Sorry about being in the wrong forum! I'm probably better at figuring out problems with my car, than figuring out how these forums work!

·
Registered
1996 C280 and 2010 E350 4-Matic
279 Posts
Thanks, any idea of how moisture got that far into the car ?? Sounds like it could happen again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I,m living in South Africa. Don't often get snow here - but we had a very cold snap about 10 days ago!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts