Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've stumbled by accident onto the site a few days ago and was that impressed by it I found myself registering. Anyway......my first question is, has anyone replaced the flat mercedes badge on the bonnet/hood with the "stand up" version of the merc star and was there particular model needed and were there any difficulty in fitting. Photos (if any) would be very appreciated. ;)

Thanx in advance for replies,

Ade

·
Registered
1999 ML320 / 2005 C230 / 2004 E320 4matic wagon
92 Posts
I have a 1999 ML, and a 2005 C230. Just for kicks, I swapped badges. The Star does not look good, with the grill star, a little too in your face. If you were to replace the grill with something Star-less, it might work. Just my 2 pennies.

·
Registered
99 ML430 - 13 328i
1,112 Posts
I wouldn't consider myself putting the star hood ornament over the hood badge. But maybe someone did it and will give you pics.

BTW, go to USER CP in the top middle and just fill out your profile information. Thank you

·
Premium Member
2006 E55: 1999 ML430; 2002 E430 4matic; 1988 190E 2.3; 1993 XL883
301 Posts
I have a 1999 ML, and a 2005 C230. Just for kicks, I swapped badges. The Star does not look good, with the grill star, a little too in your face. If you were to replace the grill with something Star-less, it might work. Just my 2 pennies.
Does the C230 Star snap in the same as the ML badge ? It would be easy for someone to walk off with if so. I know the older Stars mount into the hood pretty well, and the ML does not have a thru hole that I could see.

I also think it would be too much from the front view with the grill star, but it sure would look good from the drivers seat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi and thanx :thumbsup: for your replys.

Still no photos though for me pass judgment !! ;)

Ade

·
Registered
1999 ML320 / 2005 C230 / 2004 E320 4matic wagon
92 Posts
Does the C230 Star snap in the same as the ML badge ? It would be easy for someone to walk off with if so. I know the older Stars mount into the hood pretty well, and the ML does not have a thru hole that I could see.
I just kind of set it on the hood, to get the feel. Should have said I thought about swapping it, that's more accuate. Mostly cause I have a "spare" star hanging around (flat badged the C).

And you are right the star came out with a simple twist from below, the star itself will just swivel from the top if you twist it, but from below it's a simple twist lock, 1/4 quarter turn and it pops right out. I think they did that to minimize damage to the hood from souvenir hunters.

·
Premium Member
2006 E55: 1999 ML430; 2002 E430 4matic; 1988 190E 2.3; 1993 XL883
301 Posts
Hi and thanx :thumbsup: for your replys.

Still no photos though for me pass judgment !! ;)

Ade
Just an idea how it may look. Still not sure which model year star to use, but here is a picture of a W126.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
Please refrain from using the abbreviation "Merc" as this strongly implies Ford/Mercury in the USA market, especially since one is likely to pronounce it as "Merk" instead of "Mers". A better abbreviation is "Benz".

DelJ

Hi, I've stumbled by accident onto the site a few days ago and was that impressed by it I found myself registering. Anyway......my first question is, has anyone replaced the flat mercedes badge on the bonnet/hood with the "stand up" version of the merc star and was there particular model needed and were there any difficulty in fitting. Photos (if any) would be very appreciated. ;)

Thanx in advance for replies,

Ade

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
I think the standing gun sight on MB SUVs look very tacky and out of place. Stick with the star in the grille.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Grill bling, as supplied by the factory, looks better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts