Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350 Capri Blue/Ash Gray, Premium, Comfort, Air Scarf, 6 CD
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

US, 06 SLK 350, Comfort Pkg doesn't seem to be much comfort when I constantly have to reset everything. Took my SLK back to dealer for broken seat switch on pax side, I get in hit #1 and everything is off. So now I have to go back and reset all my comfort zones again. Anyone else having this problem? By the way, love this web site...lots of info and great pix. Thx!

·
Registered
2006 SLK350
213 Posts
I haven't had any trouble with the switch. One comment:Benzes are unlike most other electric seats in that you have to press AND HOLD the button until the seat and mirrors are in their full position.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
919 Posts
AZSLK said:
Took my SLK back to dealer for broken seat switch on pax side, I get in hit #1 and everything is off. So now I have to go back and reset all my comfort zones again. Anyone else having this problem?
Wait... you had this problem on the passenger side after they replaced the switch? If so I'm betting they wiped the settings as part of testing the switch after installation. If you continue to have the issue after resetting the position -- though mirror positions aren't stored in passenger side -- then I'd simply take it back and report the issue.

It might also be possible that they tested the driver's side, so again I'd suggest resetting it yourself and see if it sticks. Also be sure that if you have key-based settings enabled that you either always use the same key to operate the car *or* make the same settings with each key.

·
Registered
06 SLK 280, on order 09 SLK 350
209 Posts
taroliw said:
Wait... you had this problem on the passenger side after they replaced the switch? If so I'm betting they wiped the settings as part of testing the switch after installation. If you continue to have the issue after resetting the position -- though mirror positions aren't stored in passenger side -- then I'd simply take it back and report the issue.

It might also be possible that they tested the driver's side, so again I'd suggest resetting it yourself and see if it sticks. Also be sure that if you have key-based settings enabled that you either always use the same key to operate the car *or* make the same settings with each key.
What key-based settings? My '06 SLK 280 with memory seats does not store any settings with the key. :confused:

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
919 Posts
SLK280DS said:
What key-based settings? My '06 SLK 280 with memory seats does not store any settings with the key. :confused:
My bad. This feature was only available in 2005 R171's (see page 143 of the 2005 SLK Owners Manual). This was one of those [whine]I'm confused[/whine] options MB removed for 2006.

·
Registered
SLK 350 (2006)
421 Posts
taroliw said:
My bad. This feature was only available in 2005 R171's (see page 143 of the 2005 SLK Owners Manual). This was one of those [whine]I'm confused[/whine] options MB removed for 2006.
I wish there were some way to "retro fit" that smart key stuff back into the 2006. It was one of the features I didn't have in my SLK 320 that I was really looking forward to in the 350. Disappointed to see it was removed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The broken switch (that the dealership broke and didn't say anything) is on the passenger side. I took it back and they had my car all day before they called me back to say my car was ready then said, "I'm sorry but we will have to order the part". I wasn't happy. Anyway...on the driver's side I set my #1 memory when I was there not two weeks earlier having my CD changer installed and I got in after this trip pushed and held the button and everything was off. This isn't the first time it has happened. I will see if it happens again when I take it back AGAIN next week for pax seat switch fix. Thx.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
919 Posts
SLK280DS said:
BTW... while this might be true for 280's, it seems that even some later 350's do have this feature, even if it does not appear in the MFD menus.

I ran into this just today in my own car, in fact. I generally bring my spare key to the dealership to leave with the car instead of pulling my usual keychain apart. But when I went to get back into my car today after getting tires installed, pressing 1 on the memory did not cause the intended effect. Instead, I had to insert my usual key into the lock and *then* press 1 and the seat moved to my usual setting.

The service rep was not surprised by this, suggesting that the feature did indeed get included in some cars despite no MFD coding. Was a surprise to me, so thought it was worth sharing here.

How can you be sure? Insert key 1, adjust seat, store in memory 1. Then... insert key 2, move seat and store into memory 1 (again). Reinsert key 1 and press 1 to restore setting. If the seat moved to where you set it before, then you have key-specific memory settings... if not, you don't.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any other way to tell. And this behavior doesn't seem indicative of having the full easy-exit function (where the seat also moves).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks for that info. Will do...

·
Registered
06 SLK 280, on order 09 SLK 350
209 Posts
taroliw said:
BTW... while this might be true for 280's, it seems that even some later 350's do have this feature, even if it does not appear in the MFD menus.

I ran into this just today in my own car, in fact. I generally bring my spare key to the dealership to leave with the car instead of pulling my usual keychain apart. But when I went to get back into my car today after getting tires installed, pressing 1 on the memory did not cause the intended effect. Instead, I had to insert my usual key into the lock and *then* press 1 and the seat moved to my usual setting.

The service rep was not surprised by this, suggesting that the feature did indeed get included in some cars despite no MFD coding. Was a surprise to me, so thought it was worth sharing here.

How can you be sure? Insert key 1, adjust seat, store in memory 1. Then... insert key 2, move seat and store into memory 1 (again). Reinsert key 1 and press 1 to restore setting. If the seat moved to where you set it before, then you have key-specific memory settings... if not, you don't.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any other way to tell. And this behavior doesn't seem indicative of having the full easy-exit function (where the seat also moves).
I'll check it out on my 280 to see if that is the case for it, too. When talking about key memory I was expecting the seats to move automatically when you inserted the key not having to push the memory button to move it. That's the way it works on my wife's 2005 Volvo V50. Use your key to open the car and the seat moves to the memory setting for that key automatically.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts