Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S500
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a small annoyance that I have, along the same lines as the side mirror buttons on the driver door.

So, is it just my 2001 model...or must everyone hold down the memory button(M1/M2), in order for their seat to automatically go back to position?

Was this fixed on the 2003 model, along with the side mirrors?

Please advise.

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes-Benz S55 ///AMG, 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350
685 Posts
If memory serves, in your year car the button needs to be held down for 3 seconds. In later models there is an "M" memory button that you push then immediately 1, 2 or 3 to sore the settings.

·
Registered
2001 S500
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, MB is saying that my 2001 vehicle is TOO old for them to keep a small(by today's standards) PDF file on a server....geez. Here's the note on the Owners site:

Owner's Manual
Your manual is not currently available online. However, manuals for vehicles prior to model year 2004 can be ordered through
the Customer Assistance Center. To obtain a document for your model year, please contact a Mercedes-Benz
representative: By phone at 1-800-FOR_MERCEDES (1-800-367-6372).

Anyone know where I can grab an electronic owner's manual, for a 2001 w220?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,987 Posts
You might try downloading the '00 manual, which was available last time I looked. I downloaded it, but it is too large a file for my email system to accept, so I can't send it to you.

In any case, the '00 instructions say that to store a seat/head restraint, outside mirrors, interior mirror, and steering wheel positions into memory, have the ignition in position 1 or 2 (or have the drivers's door open and the key simply in the ignition); then press "M" and within 3 seconds, press buttons 1 or 2. To recall a position, press button 1 or 2 and hold until the position is achieved. Releasing the button stops movement.

The procedure is the same for the '03 model, except there are 3 storage positions; and in addition to the equipment listed for the '00, climate control settings are also stored.

I expect your '01 will work similarly.

If you're able to download a '00 manual, there are relatively few differences between the '00 and the '01; one of them is that the voice control system is activated by a stalk on the right side of the steering column, but the '00 uses a button on the steering wheel; and the voice control system controls only the phone in '00, but (I think) the entire audio system in '01 (I know for sure that it did in '02).

I have seen the notice posted above that only the manuals from '04 and later are available, but I have also seen a separate list (for registered owners) on the MBCA site that showed the earlier manuals (except for one MY that was missing).

·
Registered
2003 S600, 2002 C320 Wagon
156 Posts
This is a small annoyance that I have, along the same lines as the side mirror buttons on the driver door.

So, is it just my 2001 model...or must everyone hold down the memory button(M1/M2), in order for their seat to automatically go back to position?

Was this fixed on the 2003 model, along with the side mirrors?

Please advise.
We have to hold down the numbered button until the seat has stopped moving....it is not like an express up or down window where one touch leads to completion of the task.

·
Registered
2001 S500
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
'We have to hold down the numbered button until the seat has stopped moving....'

I was afraid, that this was the case. Oh well, I don't have to deal with this often...only when the wife drives the car....I happen to be 2 feet taller. :eek:

Thanks redc320s.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,987 Posts
The '03 manual shows you can also program keys to a seat position; when you do that, you don't have to press seat memory buttons. They will adjust to the programmed driver seat position (etc.) by themselves, just by changing the key used. The '00 manual does not discuss this option. I don't know in which MY it started.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts