Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2000SLK-2005SLK
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 350 for about a week and just waxed it this morning. I have had many Porsches in the past and have tried most brands of wax on the US market. This time I tried Meguairs Next generation wax and used the micro fiber cloth they sell to remove the wax. Outstanding results! The micro fiber cloth seem to work much better than my old cotton t-shirts.
My car is Firemist.
I did notice quite a bit of orange peel in the paint, but will have it color sanded over the summer.[:)]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Doctor K - 4/20/2005 4:57 PM

I did notice quite a bit of orange peel in the paint, but will have it color sanded over the summer.[:)]
Orange peel in the paint [:0][:0]

Is that acceptable? I would think that it a warranty issue. I checked closely and have no problems with my paint.

Yes, I am a Zaino's convert also[^]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Zaino and Finish First all the way baby!

Leave Meguiars, the effect doesn't last long enough.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Wax is so old fashion and outdated. Zaino is the only way to go and will out last wax by a factor of 10.[8D]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
237 Posts
I just put two coats of Zaizo on my 55 last night and I now live in the garage, staring at my baby all day[:D]

·
Registered
2000SLK-2005SLK
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. Which Zaino product are you folks using. I have some Zaino poish/wax in the garage but I doubt if thats the product to which you make reference.
PS:
The orange peel is a lot more than a light haze and will have to be color sanded and polished out. I will contact the dealer and get their feelings on the "warranty" of the paint.

Doc

·
Registered
SLK 350 , S 500 L, C 200
109 Posts
another Zaino convert - but this stuff really takes a comittment.
- find the instructions confusing -
but what a shine !!!!!

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
Hey guys, please provide us with the exact name of the products you are using! Some of us have only used OTC products and welcome what sound to be great experiences.

Thanks [|)]

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
I use the whole sequence, as described somewhere on the Zaino site. First time out, one washes with Dawn to strip the wax (and optionally uses clay, though on a new finish I don't do that). Then a few coats of Z2, spiked with ZFX. (They have Z2Pro now, I haven't used that yet but probably will soon.)

After a few coats of the Z2, finish with Z6, also use Z6 as a quick touchup if the car's not really dirty.

I haven't tried Z8 yet, but I have some. I'm not clear on whether it should be used like Z6, but it appears not.

It's good stuff. Easy to apply if you follow the instructions, and great results.

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
I have used Megiairs on previous cars and found it OK but not very long-lasting. I have about eight coats of Zaino on my SLK now. I am not sure yet how long it will last but it looks great and is not that difficult to apply.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
rickboy - 4/22/2005 7:34 AM

I have used Megiairs on previous cars and found it OK but not very long-lasting. I have about eight coats of Zaino on my SLK now. I am not sure yet how long it will last but it looks great and is not that difficult to apply.
Interesting. I use to use Magiairs (SP?) three step process and found a good shine but did not last long and lots of work. I switch to P21S which looks much better and last about 3-4 months. Its a three step process also but easy to use.
1) Wash with their car wash prodcut
2) Use their cleaner/polisher
3) Finish with their wax.

Below is a picture of my old car after this process

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
RonJeffries - 4/20/2005 4:23 PM

Try Zaino. I think you'll never go back.
I agree. I'm a fanatic too. I've never met anyone who changed to another brand after trying Zaino. Their Z2 gives an amazing long-lasting shine, and the Z6 gloss enhancer seems to virtually elminate road dust that normally accumulates on the car body during a trip. A quick flick of the California Duster and the car looks like new again.

The real secret to polishing the car is to use 100% cotton towels (preferably made in the U.S.A.). Using any other towels tends to cause fine scratches on the paintwork.

I would thoroughly recommend reading the 'tips & tricks' and other good stuff at the Zaino website (zainostore.com).

·
Registered
2000SLK-2005SLK
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, I surrender. I've heard so many good things about Zaino that I placed an order for the Z2 and the ZFX 10 minutes ago.

PS: For sale-slightly used bottle of NXT car wax-make offer!

Thanks for all the replies.

Doc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts