Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
yeah it's an absolute shame. Its been spotted a few times since 2006 when it went in survice. Apparently it has NEVER been used but for some practice runs. Tax payer dollars at work. It should have been sent to Katrina, and all the other storm disasters but no. Apparently it just sits unused in a garage somewhere.

More here

http://www.mogmsgexch.com/viewtopic.php?t=40084&highlight=Loma+Linda

·
Registered
UNIMOG, Gelaendewagen
915 Posts
A big waste of taxpayers dollars. I wish my Fire Dept. could get such a sweet FEMA grant to buy rescues and engines that would actually be of use.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
It's only used for a upcoming terrorist threat levels/nuclear which I'm sure we will have under the current administration flip flopping! They also have one over in Europe too. With the pourous borders though with Mexico/illegals bringing in the Swine flue we might just see it in use.

·
Registered
1988 U1300L RW-1
494 Posts
It's only used for a upcoming terrorist threat levels/nuclear which I'm sure we will have under the current administration flip flopping! They also have one over in Europe too. With the pourous borders though with Mexico/illegals bringing in the Swine flue we might just see it in use.

Aren't there forums for ignorant political rants and general expressions of bigotry/racism/paranoia? Ah yes, I thought so...

This is a UNIMOG forum, correct? Or did I accidentally click on:

www.ihaveapoliticalopinionthatihavetolitterallabouttheplacebecauseicanalthoughicantspellorcompleteacoherentsentence.com?

Oh, that's right, I meant to go here:

http://www.unicatamericas.com/vehicles_professional_disaster.html

·
Registered
1991 1250L Doka Unimog, 2002 ML320
1,187 Posts
I think that "ignorant" might have more to do with your opinion of what Monster said Jplassy than it being a "political rant". This forum will probably be "nicer" if the politics in general are curtailed. It does seem to be a waste of money for the 500 either way. I still feel the love,
chas

·
Registered
1981 U1300L
1,302 Posts
im sorry for all of those who are unhappy about the last election...your guy lost...tough s**t....but lets not kid ourselves...this pres didnt create all these problems in the last 3 months...including the purchase of overpriced emergency equipment. hell wouldnt a REAL american be on a forum that centered on AMERICAN made vechicles?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Being an American and owning a Unimog and having the freedom to express some frustration or a thought to my Unimog American people is my God given right. Secondly, I wish I saw these U500/Disaster vehicles running down our streets all the time, or on the borders giving help to the less fortunate. 3rdly, I think we should send Obama a Unimog/404 custom painted from us folks so we don't loose the right to some day drive our Eco Friendly trucks in America. And finally, I like the U500...if you have an extra one pass it along so I canfit it with the N.R.A. logo.

On a different note.....If you have ever tried to get a word in on the "OFF Topic" section of Benzworld you find that having an opinion other than far Left...or far Right is like playing Roulette. Coach...if I may say. Can we have our own section for this under "Unimog". I could really care less about those people I don't even know. I'd rather be able to talk and be myself around those that I have a common interest with. I realize this may be controversial...but hey, what do we talk about when we get together at N.W. Mogfest. Kids only...yeah right! So now that I'm at the end of all my popcorn...! Cheers and happy Mogging.

·
Registered
1988 U1300L RW-1
494 Posts
I found this article last night, from 4/06:

Vehicle Takes Emergency Medical Response to Next Level - Health News - redOrbit

The article above shed a little more light (for me) on it's intended purpose.

Here's one instance of it being used for it's intended purpose (warning, long, poorly organized page...do a search in the page for 'unimog'...October 30th, 8:20am):

thedesertsun.com | Esperanza Wildfire Timeline

A few quick searches seem to indicate that the Unimog is largely underused. Agreed, it is sad to see taxpayer dollars spent on something so expensive that doesn't get much use. Perhaps the people who have been helped by it feel differently! Always a shame to see the government spend money on useless things. I suppose one good side effect of this is that we'll be able to pick up the overpriced equipment pretty cheap at a government auction someday! But, that's not the point...tools go to waste and rot if not used.

You know, I'm not really looking for a 'nicer' Unimog forum, just a forum dedicated to the Unimog. This forum is really good at staying on topic, which is great, I don't intend to knock the forum. I like to go to the the Unimog forums for the Unimogs, mechanical information, and comradery (am I spelling that right?). I like to go to the political forums to prove how incredibly right I am (taking the piss in a big way...) and to get my dose of political banter.

One thing that has amazed me about the Unimog community and the friends that I've made within it, is just how different many of us are yet able to share experiences, information, help one another, and generally get along. I know several people in the Unimog community I could call if I needed a hand, and I know if we talked politics we probably wouldn't agree on many items, nevertheless they would help me and I would help them. Pretty cool. If only the rest of the world would play as well together as we do!

Perhaps the answer to 'world peace' is a Unimog in every driveway/field/worksite! OK, I guess it isn't that simple.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
....One thing that has amazed me about the Unimog community and the friends that I've made within it, is just how different many of us are yet able to share experiences, information, help one another, and generally get along. I know several people in the Unimog community I could call if I needed a hand, and I know if we talked politics we probably wouldn't agree on many items, nevertheless they would help me and I would help them....
Based on your comments...I agree. So it shouldn't matter if we have our own politcal banter/opinion's/or I'm just pissed off moments because generally we all know when to turn it off/curtail it...right? That's what makes us human. It what makes us people./Americans, Europeans ect....

As far as getting a Mog in every driveway well we know where most of them are... Oh Scott...would you please send those extra Mogs to those empty driveways.

P.s...How about a drive to the Whitehouse. Can you imagine. With the National Monument behind us and 20-100 mogs surrounding the circular south view point. Now that to me put's fun and politics together. I don't think the sharp shooters would know what to do???? LOL!

Just had a brain freeze... Whitehouse/Congress/National Cemetary/Aberaham Lincoln. Anybody interested in a "Whitehouse Mog run?"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts