Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
S550 2008
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This my be an old question, yet I have found confusing information around.

Here it goes, in order to measure the transmission fluid the engine have to be running or not, transmission has to be in park or drive?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1984 300D, 1985 380 SL, 2009 E350
292 Posts
measure transmission fluid after reaching operating temp or 10 mins driving approximately. Should be in Park! Think about it....

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
The oil temp needs to be 80 C, this can be attained after 25 to 30 minutes of driving.
Park the car at a level surface, while idling, apply the brakes and move the shifter from P to R to D to P then get out of the car and pull the dipstick out, clean and re insert then pull out again and the oil should be at the 80 C mark.
Another way to do this is to repeat this procedure without driving the car to warm up the oil then check the level, it should be at tyhe 20 C mark

·
Banned
cash corn belt
1,917 Posts
Where is the dipstick?

Find a 4 ft long dipstick from the local wrecker and measure off if your in a emergency situation
13- 24 mm cold 25 C
52 - 62 mm at the hottest fluid temp 80 C
measurements from tool (ds) coming into contact with bottom of pan.

Then I would find appropriate stick as mentioned above.

·
Banned
cash corn belt
1,917 Posts
^ tried a dipstick from wrecker and did not work, dipstick must be circular to accommodate the twists and turns of the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,720 Posts
I've been using 1/8" steel cable to check ATF for years, when dipsticks cost $49, but it was a bit hard to read it.
Than the cable went to the bottom of the pan, when dipstick stop on the square end of the tip. That gives 5mm error, what is still within tolerances, but one more thing to worry.
So when the prices of dipstick went below $20, I went for it.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,138 Posts
If by mux you mean part of the SDS and the dipstick they are unrelated as far as any connection.

·
Banned
cash corn belt
1,917 Posts
^ I have no experience with the sds and had the impression trans fluid level was integral to this but its good to know.

I am looking for an aforementioned diagnostics if anyone has 1 pm me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts