Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
MB 560SEL 89 - MB SL500 99 - Maserati QP 07
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wondering of some letters in the gear console an sliding switch between 2 letters. the above one wrote as E and the under one wrote as S, can anyone tell me what is the meaning of this letters.

YASSER500SL

·
Registered
SL 60 1998
387 Posts
Economy and Sport, with sport change up at higher revs, with E change up at lower revs.

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
I am assuming this is the same thing as "W" and "S" here in our neck of the woods (United States)? Or is it something totally different?

So, then, with that in mind I have a few questions:

Does the position of the W/S switch affect more than just the 2nd gear start? Does it also affect the shift points/shift pattern in addition?

And if so, would driving in W increase gas mileage?

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,560 Posts
Hi all,

Just wondering of some letters in the gear console an sliding switch between 2 letters. the above one wrote as E and the under one wrote as S, can anyone tell me what is the meaning of this letters.

YASSER500SL

Welcome to the forum.

It will help if we know the year and few details, in the future.

So we can help you better.

Regards, aam.

·
Registered
'97 SL500 & '01 ML320
286 Posts
...W= winter, S= summer
Agreed. Winter apparently starts the car at either a lower gear or limits reves (not sure which) but the object is to stop wheel spin I beleive.

Regsrds

Alan

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,536 Posts
You Americans don't know how lucky you are with fuel prices.
We in the U.K. are up to £5.00 gal( $10.00)or £1.12 per litre, I paid £1.18 for Shell V Power high octane yesterday.:mad:
N T-J
I hear you nt-j: in Italy we are pretty much in the same situation but with the 320 I found out that in Sport mode the car seemed to do more limes per gallon.
Maybe with the 500 it's different but at least I think it's worth a try.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Benz SL 500
143 Posts
Ahem And i Quote

Owners manul says
Something of this

it starts at a 2nd gear start and also makes the shifts much harder then in summer drive which can be a slight alarm if you are not used to it, it alsos if you feel hard shifts make sure your not in winter drive cause alot of people think the trannys bad i guess, any ways, thats what i read.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2003 SL500, 2003 SL55, 1998 SL500, (2) 1991 300SLs
4,558 Posts
Ahem And i Quote

Owners manul says
Something of this

it starts at a 2nd gear start and also makes the shifts much harder then in summer drive which can be a slight alarm if you are not used to it, it alsos if you feel hard shifts make sure your not in winter drive cause alot of people think the trannys bad i guess, any ways, thats what i read.
I don't think you are reading the manual for an R129, because except for the part about the 2nd gear start I believe none of the above is accurate.

In addition to starting in 2nd gear, "W" changes the shift points and causes the transmission to upshift at lower RPMs than in "S". It is explained in great detail in the WIS.

·
Registered
1991 500SL
411 Posts
I believe S/E was used on the old 4 gear transmission which starts in 2nd gear regardless of which position it's set on. In S mode the car shifts at higher revs and in E it shifts in lower revs for a more comfortable driving experience.

The S/W was introduced in 1996 I believe alongside the new 5 speed tranny. They basically carry the same functions except this time; S starts the car in 1st gear and W starts in second.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts