Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 mercedes-benz 240D 400k (in portugal),97 Mercedes-Benz E36 Amg (dad's car)
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay people i think my baby beast has a fuel pump problem (new fuel pump 2500 euros from dealer) i am going to try and describe the problems as well as posible and the reasson why i think this is the problem guy's.

first:

This happend in the beginign of April i noticed that when i was pushing the car harder in terms of acelarating for longuer perioods of time in normal roads it then starts loossing power gradually until it turn it self off then when i immediate try to start the car it doesn't start unless i floor my foot down in the accelarator and it revs slowly for the first 30 secs until it start's to sound normaly again and i can take my foot off theaccelarator and get on with the trip as normally. if you just accelarate once the car stalls again. What this feels like when driving has sympethoms is you have your footdown and it doesn't accelarate or verry slowly has it get's wor'st it accelarates in bulks like brief pull no accelaration brief pull again no accelaration until you have to change gear from 4th to 3rd and it just shut's down.

this happens on the mottorway on hills when you have to floor the accelarator not to losse speed on the way up and thyis happens, then on overtakes on the motorway is the same couse you accelarate a bit more.

i reckon this is either the fuel injection pump or the injectors. but mybe the lines or filters are dirty. any ideas? any similar problems? i know a place that repairs pump's so if it is the pump that would be my first option.

thanks for any intake.

PS: just for historical purpose and in case if it matters the first day i got home and ussed the car the clutch primary and secondary pump's wen't and i got them replaced and also changed the brake pads.

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
sounds like air in the lines. when it dies, look at filter at pump and see if fuel is visible. if fuel is visible, start by changing all fuel filters especially the spin on.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like air in the lines. when it dies, look at filter at pump and see if fuel is visible. if fuel is visible, start by changing all fuel filters especially the spin on.
but this has happend more than once, if it was air wouldn't it eventually go away?

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
depends... if you have a leaking fuel line at the tank or loose connections anywhere, it could suck in air.
there should always be a little air bubble in the first filter, but there should be more fuel than air space.
does it ever do it just idleing in the driveway? always does it under heavy load? normal driving does it do ok?
does operating the manual pump get it back started? or have you just been turning on the starter?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
depends... if you have a leaking fuel line at the tank or loose connections anywhere, it could suck in air.
there should always be a little air bubble in the first filter, but there should be more fuel than air space.
does it ever do it just idleing in the driveway? always does it under heavy load? normal driving does it do ok?
does operating the manual pump get it back started? or have you just been turning on the starter?
okay well there is no fuel leak in the car or oil or water evrytime i pick him up for my holiday's the floor is as dry and with out marks as it was before and it is the same thing when ussing it during my holiday. this doesn't happen when it is just idleing in the drive way, i can't guarantee that it does under heavy load what i can say is that when i drive faster and push the engine more on normal roads it happens eventually wether it is in 10-15-20 mins of this type of driving it depends and in motor way's it ussualy is after hills where you have to floor it not to loose speed or if you floor it for a long period of time other than that in normal driving it is fine works like a charm with no problem. i also notice that soem times when i turn off the engine in the key the car doesn't turn off very rarely this happens but it has happend (another reasson why it makes me think it is the fuel pump).

after this has happend i have never had to opperate the pump manually to get it started again i just usse the ignition starter with the key and floor it in neutral until the engine gains power and starts reving again.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
change all fuel filters and report back.

hmm not going back home until augost at least and that is when i need to service her next i order the mecanic to do a full service and use MB filter and service kit's. any other ideas?

is there a recomended MB engine oil?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
other ideas???? yeah, do it yourself and save a ton of money.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 300D Turbo Diesel
141 Posts
wow, wish i had that kind of money to spend on changing a couple filters.

i had a similar problem and it turned out to be a filter related. i change out the fuel filters and she worked like a charm. with the engine idling can you see the fuel lines pulsing. they should pulse like a heart beat. if so then your injection pump is probably ok and just need some new filters. could also be the strainer in the tank that is clogged.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow, wish i had that kind of money to spend on changing a couple filters.

i had a similar problem and it turned out to be a filter related. i change out the fuel filters and she worked like a charm. with the engine idling can you see the fuel lines pulsing. they should pulse like a heart beat. if so then your injection pump is probably ok and just need some new filters. could also be the strainer in the tank that is clogged.
lol 100 euros for a complete service is not that expensive that includes the guy's work and the multiple parts how ever i was just guessing. but yea hopefully is the filters in my "baby beast" and she will be all good again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts