Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just retrofitted my 99' ML320 with a 2000 MCS Bose radio. The color screen and new functions just make the single din unit look silly! Here are a few of my observations and confirmations about the installation.

FIRST OFF AND FOREMOST - B E N Z A be the man! Without the guidance of his hard work, this install would have been a PITA.

1) Before doing this install, I looked high and low for a place and or Dealer ship that can get the proper connectors. I ended going to a place at Racetec-us. com or you can email them at [email protected] net . They have connections to MB in Germany and got the connectors for me in about 1 weeks time. The cost was about $325 for all three units (VSS, Gerate Adaptor, and insertion harness).
2) If you do not use the Gerate adaptor, the 04 86 MCS unit in Benza's instructions is a direct plug and play unit. The downside is without the Gerate Euro Adaptor there is no AM reception, but you will be able to control stock non fiber optic CD changer. All of the features will work.
3) I added the NAV CD unit not the DVD. It seems most people go for the DVD and when I searched for clarification it seemed all of the retro fit instructions were for the DVD and not the CD. Perhaps this is already well know, but the NAV CD installs just the same as the DVD NAV.
3)Just a small addition to Benza's instructions. In order to remove the center consol you have to remove the arm rest which is held in by 2 phillips screws. Removing this will allow you to have easy acces to the rear window switches. I've attaced a picture of the rear switches so it will be more obvious on how to remove them without breaking any thing. Simply push to release. It looks easy here but w/o remove the armest you cannot see how to release them.

4) It took me about 2.5 hours from start to finish. I had the more detailed instructions from BENZA that he sells on EBay and it was confidence inspiring. There is truely nothing tricky about the install. All of the connectors will only connect to the right plugs. Although if you were really afraid to do the install yourself, I'd say a fair rate by a professional to run about $200-250 just because they have overhead costs.
5) The entire project ran me about $1300 or so. Its about $500 less than the sweet Kenwood Double Din, but I feel the Kenwood would really be a theives wetdream. Besides, the look and fit of the OEM MCS just looks right at home. Anywho, i've used the NAV unit for the past 5 days and its AWESOME to say the least.
6) And lastly, when I removed the center consol, there was black box over the Transmission ECU. Does anyone know what that is?

If you guys have any quesitons, I will try to answer them.

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Quick question... in Benza's detailed instructions he lists two different model numbers for MCS units... I have the latter model A163 820 21 86 I have heard from a couple people that even though it has the fiber optic outlet on it that you can still use it on your non fiber CD Changer and everything will work. Did anyone find this in any of thier retro fits?

PS.. the part I'm waiting for from AMGKIT is a Fiber Optic CD Changer Power Harness so I can install the fiber CD Changer to run the above mentioned MCS. Such a pain in the arse when you can't get your parts in a timely manner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts