Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, well I thought I would put up a DIY for the steering wheel swap.

Pic #1: Normal Factory wheel
Pic #2: Airbag removed
Pic #3: 10MM Allen nut removed. (Notice green alignment mark)
Pic #4: Horn & Airbag Deploy Ring (This gets removed to replace the Stalks)
Pic #5: Adapter Ring Mounted and horn wires hanging out.
Pic #6: New Wheel mounted with 6 new screws from Lowes
Pic #7 Cover installed and project Done!

Pic #8 & 9: Beauty Shots.

Elapsed time: 14 minutes as you can see by my dash clock. Before Morning Coffee too!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hell No Henric! ! ! Thanks again so much and I will call you later today on the Penta's when I hear back from him. We were not able to meet last night.

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
Looks great! Have the same installed in my 190E and its a very comfortable wheel. Much thicker than the stock wheel and gives me better control. I can't wait to re-install my wheel, but this time a grey one:)

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
You guys are making me want to break my self imposed "no AMG Parts" on the Blue Bird or Sylvia. Now I want a Gen I AMG wheel.....

·
Registered
1982 500SL AMG "Darmstadt Branch"
1,100 Posts
Way to go!!! That looks awesome and thanks for the pics for us who may need the DIY!

How does it feel?

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It feels more comfortable and natural. The smaller diameter gives a quicker response. The thinner flat "Spokes" give a slight "Give" to it. The fatter wheels fits my large hands better too.

·
Registered
see my signature.
909 Posts
Pretty cool Mclare. IMHO the stock wheel is tooooo big. I have a wood wheel in my car and its better than the stock wheel in terms of handling, comfort, and looks.

Plus, the 20 year old air bag scared me.

·
Registered
'00 Mazda MPV, '98 Chrysler Cirrus
1,654 Posts
Looks great! I LOVE the feel of my wheel, the small diameter, the fat rim, it's great. That's an especially good-looking wheel! It looks like new!

Pulling the airbag to remove my wife's steering wheel in her E320 so that I could replace the turn signal switch was scary as heck. I was a little paranoid for a few days after re-installation that the bag would suddenly go off.

·
Registered
1982 500SL AMG "Darmstadt Branch"
1,100 Posts
Pulling the airbag to remove my wife's steering wheel in her E320 so that I could replace the turn signal switch was scary as heck. I was a little paranoid for a few days after re-installation that the bag would suddenly go off.
Thats how I feel about everything I do with mine...even the damper I replaced recently. I think it's normal.

I second that it looks like a new wheel.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With all of the nonsense with the airbag (which is really nonsense because it takes more than a spark of stray voltage to set the squibb off) the attention needs to be paid to getting the wheel nut off. Mine is always (and this makes the third time I have had it off) very hard to get off (as it should be) and I stress that you have someone help you. Turn the ignition on and turn the wheel LEFT to the stop. Then shut off the motor and then key back to ON. Then have a helper (The stronger the better) and brace the wheel.

Yesterday when I visited with Teutone, I bought from him a great 1/2" drive breaker bar. Then from Sears I got the 10MM Allen (TT did not have that in stock) in a set and I also got a 1/2" drive ext set. I'm a big guy andit still took all my force to get it off.

ONE IMPORTANT POINT ! ! !

When you put the 10MM Allen in the bolt, get a hammer and drive it in and make sure it is fully seated BEFORE you exert force. This was a Dragi tip and mine is still straight with no dog-earing of the Allen socket.

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,020 Posts
Oh my gosh - that hex nut is a BEACH. Tried in my SL a couple years to get it off so I could do the steering box, even tried heating it up w/ a torch, but it's totally stuck.

Anyone know where to find new ones so I can drill mine out.

·
Registered
83 500SEC, 84 300TD, 86 190E 5.0 M113, 87 300D, 01 CLK55, 02 C32, 02 C320T, 03 C320T4, 03 E55
2,600 Posts
just need a longer breaker bar- or an impact.

·
Registered
see my signature.
909 Posts
Second the impact gun. The one on the wagon would not budge, no matter how big the wrench.

Took an impact gun to it and popped it off in a few seconds.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts

An Insurance company was contacted about this last year.

Removing an airbag from a car that was equipped with one from the factory is probably illegal, depending on the jurisdiction. It is considered removal of a safety device. But that's not the bad part.

They said if you were in an accident, they can deny coverage, and also, void your policy on the spot, because you removed a factory installed safety device from the car.

Not worth it, in my opinion. Too many risks.

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 9/85 W124 E320T Brabus
2,051 Posts
Oh my gosh - that hex nut is a BEACH. Tried in my SL a couple years to get it off so I could do the steering box, even tried heating it up w/ a torch, but it's totally stuck.

Anyone know where to find new ones so I can drill mine out.
I had the same prob with my 300TE. I welded a 27mm hexagon
nut through the hole onto the bolt. Works very well! The heat
helps to melt the glue and with a big ratched you´ll get it of :D

Nice touch up for your SEC, mclare

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,020 Posts
Did taking the airbag out trip the SRS light?

cascade brings up some valid points, good info to check into for those who are sticklers for safety and insurance coverage.

The rest of you, motor on with your trick steering wheels! :D

·
Registered
see my signature.
909 Posts

An Insurance company was contacted about this last year.

Removing an airbag from a car that was equipped with one from the factory is probably illegal, depending on the jurisdiction. It is considered removal of a safety device. But that's not the bad part.

They said if you were in an accident, they can deny coverage, and also, void your policy on the spot, because you removed a factory installed safety device from the car.

Not worth it, in my opinion. Too many risks.
Its not illegal. A friend has the dealer remove the airbag from his new BMW. They replaced it with the BMW performance steering wheel. Hes been pulled over a few times, and the cops never give him problems.

His insurance company is fine with it as well. He talked to an underwriter about it an everything, and they had no problems with him removing the airbag. They said they would even cover damage to the steering wheel if an accident were to occur!

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Its not illegal. A friend has the dealer remove the airbag from his new BMW. They replaced it with the BMW performance steering wheel. Hes been pulled over a few times, and the cops never give him problems.

His insurance company is fine with it as well. He talked to an underwriter about it an everything, and they had no problems with him removing the airbag. They said they would even cover damage to the steering wheel if an accident were to occur!

^^^^ Nice to know, ....when you wreck, and eat the windshield.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts