Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
39,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Catchy thread title, no? This is a story that seems to be sinking quickly.

Ex-McCain aide says he's still loyal

By: Josephine Hearn
Feb 21, 2008 08:10 PM EST
John Weaver and John McCain
Weaver (pictured in this 2006 file photo)

had provided the critical, on-the-record foundation for stories denigrating the senator.

After the New York Times published a story Thursday suggesting that John McCain had an improper relationship with lobbyist Vicki Iseman, his campaign took to the airwaves to trash the story.

“All these things are implications, two unnamed sources and no facts in the article,” campaign manager Rick Davis told CBS’s “Early Show.”

But in fact, there was a named source who confirmed facts to both the Times and the Washington Post, and unexpectedly, he came right out of the McCain camp.

John Weaver, the Arizona Republican’s former chief strategist and a longtime confidant, confirmed to the two papers that he had met with Iseman in 1999 and told her to stop bragging about her influence with McCain and the Senate Commerce Committee. He also said he had done so after “a discussion among campaign leadership” about her. Weaver’s information formed the underpinnings of stories in both papers about McCain aides being worried that Iseman could become a political liability.

In other words, Weaver, an apparent McCain loyalist, had provided the critical, on-the-record foundation for stories denigrating the senator.

keep reading at...

Ex-McCain aide says he's still loyal - Josephine Hearn - Politico.com

·
Registered
36,850 Posts
Something aromatic oozes through the cracks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
He can't answer for someone's alleged bragging of having access to him.

Question is, what did McCain do wrong? He can answer for whatever he did. He can't answer for someone's alleged bragging of having access to him. If I had access to the man, I probably would be bragging too, and by the way, I don't like guys, so if I did brag, please don't accuse me of anything else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts