Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 E350 Sedan
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently received an email from MBUSA Navigation Team <[email protected]>.
----------------------------------------
Update your Mercedes-Benz map now and save $150.*

The latest map update for your 2014 Mercedes-Benz E-CLASS is available now for the new low price of $99* — that’s $150 off the original price of $249.*

Stop by your local dealer today. It’s the only way to save $150 off the original price of $249.*

Update your map today at the new low price — just $99.*

*The standard MSRP is $99. Sales tax and installation fees may apply.
----------------------------------------

I have a 2014 E350 sedan. I called the local dealer service. "Installation is typically $72. It will take a tech around half-an-hour to use the computer to install the update." I understand technicians must be paid. But what would I think if the local butcher advertised a T-bone steak for $10, then when I got to the store charged an additional $7 to cut and package it?

Question: Is there an alternative to dealer installation for COMAND NTG 4.5 Gen3? I am thinking not. I read earlier posts that VeDoc updates are required.

The web site shows the same $99 price.
https://mb.navigation.com/product-list/Catalog/Catalog_Mercedes_Benz_E_Class_2014_Sedan/en_US/MBNA/USD

BTW, domain name navigation.com is registered to HERE (formerly Nokia Here, formerly Navteq). HERE is owned by Audi, BMW, and Daimler.

·
Outstanding Contributor
'85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
3,174 Posts
To put things in perspective, that’s about the same price as Toyota, and I was lucky they didn’t charge me for labor that time....

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,497 Posts
Shouldn't that be just a disk that you insert in the car slot?
US selling practice is a tricky one.
I was just getting some service for my MagicJack phone and they offer free USB power adapter.
I clicked on it as well and it wasn't till after they process my CC that the $8 shipping charge show up. Those things sell on amazon for about $4 with free express shipping.

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,174 Posts
Used to be DVD, then later USB stick. (One dealership tried to sell me an older update). They order an installation code and latest USB for you. The code is needed or it won’t install. Code gets put into VeDoc, for future just in case. But I’ve never seen a VeDoc....

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,497 Posts
So all that money and hassle for something Google Maps gives you free on your android?
And with constant free updates to top it.
Somehow USA from country leading in technology become country who is leader in customer brainwashing and deception.
The only advantage MB navi has that is having gyroscopic tracking, that will show your position in underground garage. At least that was on older MB as I did not have chance to test it on newer model.

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,174 Posts
Dead reckoning is one benefit. Just be sure you mount your phone somewhere out of airbag path, so it doesn’t become a possible projectile.

I have a hard time seeing my phone’s small screen, but I’m lazy to mount my mount so it’s usually in a poor location...

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,528 Posts
Haven't ever used the Navi system in either my 2014car or the DW's 2009 Lexus. Maybe we just don't go too far away anymore, but what ever happened to the folded maps you could pick up in any service station for FREE?

And, there was never any charge to get an updated edition! :wink

·
Registered
2014 E63S
25 Posts
For less than the $170 listed here from two years ago, you can go out and get yourself a good Garmin GPS with mounting kit and lifetime updates.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts