Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

· Registered
1987 560SL | 1986 560SL | 1984 500SL
413 Posts
I finally got a Vehicle Master Inquiry for my '86 560 SL after getting rejected by the service writer for printing it for me several months ago. It paid off that the parts department guys know me well and were happy to run it. It says the selling dealer code is 36101 and there was only one damage history with dealer code 71109. Neither of those dealer codes are on the list in the above link. Likely because the dealerships are either no longer in business. However, 36101 corresponds to the Boston area (per the list) and the dealer name on a delivery notification letter from the general sales manager to the first owner is "Foreign Motors, Inc." on Commonwealth Ave in Boston (corner of Commonwealth and Brighton). Dealer code 71109 doesn't list a specific dealer (likely defunct, too) but the list shows 711 in Rhode Island. The first owner lived in Cumberland which is near Warwick. I have a service receipt from 2002 with AutoCenter Imports, Inc. d/b/a Inskip on Bald Hill Road. At least the defunct dealer codes are in areas the car was sold (Boston) and serviced (Warwick, RI).

It would be great if anyone with service or purchase records that reflect dealer codes 36101 and 71109 and corresponding dealer name could chime in with the actual dealer names noted on their records. I'm trying to fill in the blanks in my car's history.

· Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
35,933 Posts

· Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
35,933 Posts
We got lucky. The car was originally shipped to a dealer in Lucerne Switzerland, who kindly
put a dealership decal on the inside of the glove box door.
LOL....I had to check my glove box because I knew it had a sticker!!

SOL....An MB Euro roadside assistance number.

Shit...maybe I should call it?

· Registered
49 Posts
Did anyone ever get the pdf listed of dealers they might could e-mail me? Please. Hoping to create a full list for all to share and use of CA first then all US
While searching for the selling dealer for my 280C, and finding the dealer number through a great deal of research, I compiled a list of a few old dealers and their numbers. I hope this helps someone. I am still searching for
the old dealer numbers for Eureka, California. My success came through a process of elimination. I used old dealer directories, found cars for sale on the internet, used the V.I.N.'s to get the dealer numbers, along with
information posted with the advertisements. Eventually, I found North Valley's number which matched my car's dealer number. Why MBNA didn't archive all dealer numbers with dealership names past and present is beyond me. There isn't any information that wasn't already out there, as far as dealer numbers and dealership names. Dealer numbers and dealership names were always on special order parts packages. Where a car is sold new is important to collectors. While on the subject, it is insane for people to remove booklets containing important information (selling dealer, delivery date, data card, maintenance booklet. warranty booklet) from
the cars. If an owner is concerned about privacy, they shouldn't have names and addresses written in the books, or warranty cards permanently attached. The books should stay with the cars as a permanent record.

North Valley Volkswagen, Chico, California Dealer # 05628
Stead Motors, Walnut Creek, California Dealer # 05623
Hutchinsson Motors Walnut Creek, California Dealer # 05623
Dahlke Auto Sales, Stockton, California Dealer # 05622
Tovick, Inc. Santa Rosa, California Dealer # 05615
R.S. Taylor, Vallejo, California Dealer # 05629
Bergstom, Santa Cruz, California Dealer # 05631
Carwell Corp. Hermosa Beach Dealer # 5771
R.A.B. San Rafael, California Dealer # 5614
Rossi Motors, San Rafael, California Dealer #5614

· Registered
49 Posts
While searching for the selling dealer for my 280C, and finding the dealer number through a great deal of research, I compiled a list of a few old dealers and their numbers. I hope this helps someone. I am still searching for
the old dealer numbers for Eureka, California. My success came through a process of elimination. I used old dealer directories, found cars for sale on the internet, used the V.I.N.'s to get the dealer numbers, along with
information posted with the advertisements. Eventually, I found North Valley's number which matched my car's dealer number. Why MBNA didn't archive all dealer numbers with dealership names past and present is beyond me. There isn't any information that wasn't already out there, as far as dealer numbers and dealership names. Dealer numbers and dealership names were always on special order parts packages. Where a car is sold new is important to collectors. While on the subject, it is insane for people to remove booklets containing important information (selling dealer, delivery date, data card, maintenance booklet. warranty booklet) from
the cars. If an owner is concerned about privacy, they shouldn't have names and addresses written in the books, or warranty cards permanently attached. The books should stay with the cars as a permanent record.

Autohaus Brugger, Redwood City, California Dealer #05620

· Registered
1973 450SLC | Cavalry Blue | VIN 591
59 Posts
I’m trying to find a mystery/possibly defunct California dealership as well. Code is 05606. It’s not in the list that everyone seems to reference. Does anyone know what dealership this would have been? The car is a ’73.

· Registered
49 Posts
I’m trying to find a mystery/possibly defunct California dealership as well. Code is 05606. It’s not in the list that everyone seems to reference. Does anyone know what dealership this would have been? The car is a ’73.
Dealer Code 05606 should be a "Bay Area Dealer." With that said, I have been searching for Nielsen Motor Company's code. They were in Redding. K.B. McCarthy, Inc., is also
on my list to identify. McCarthy was located in Eureka. North Valley Volkswagen's MBNA Dealer Code also indicated they were in the Bay Area, but they were in Chico. If you
do not have a dealer directory for 1973, you should get one. I bought my 1973 edition on ebay for $30.00 and it is a valuable tool in identifying who the dealers were back in the
day. I searched on the internet for cars sold by a specific dealer, found photos in the ads of the cars. Some sellers photographed the books and data plates. That was a big
help. A little detective work helped me find who my dealer was.
I may be wrong, but I think I have identified all of the "out of business Bay Area dealers" except for McCarthy and Nielsen, who are a little north of the Bay Area. I would almost
bet their dealer numbers were "56..." numbers also. Your dealer may be one of these two. Trying to find out who your dealer was is a process of elimination and it takes some
patience and perseverance. As I said before, it is unfortunate that MBNA did not archive the dealer numbers and what entity was assigned to them. Good Luck!!

· Registered
59 Posts
Dealer Code 05606 should be a "Bay Area Dealer." With that said, I have been searching for Nielsen Motor Company's code. They were in Redding. K.B. McCarthy, Inc., is also
on my list to identify. McCarthy was located in Eureka. North Valley Volkswagen's MBNA Dealer Code also indicated they were in the Bay Area, but they were in Chico. If you
do not have a dealer directory for 1973, you should get one. I bought my 1973 edition on ebay for $30.00 and it is a valuable tool in identifying who the dealers were back in the
day. I searched on the internet for cars sold by a specific dealer, found photos in the ads of the cars. Some sellers photographed the books and data plates. That was a big
help. A little detective work helped me find who my dealer was.
I may be wrong, but I think I have identified all of the "out of business Bay Area dealers" except for McCarthy and Nielsen, who are a little north of the Bay Area. I would almost
bet their dealer numbers were "56..." numbers also. Your dealer may be one of these two. Trying to find out who your dealer was is a process of elimination and it takes some
patience and perseverance. As I said before, it is unfortunate that MBNA did not archive the dealer numbers and what entity was assigned to them. Good Luck!!
Thank you so much! The previous owner lived in Folsom. He inherited the car from his father in about 2010, but didn’t actually know much about the car. He just said that his dad had the car for a very long time, but wasn’t the original owner. I’ve only had it for a week, so the detective work is just starting.

· Registered
49 Posts
MBNA Dealer number 05606 is assigned to Mercedes-Benz of Monterey. In 1973, the dealership in Monterey was Stahl Motor Company, Inc., 498 Freemont Street,
Monterey, CA 93942. I found the dealer number and corresponding name on a MBNA Roadside Assistance Summary Note Information Sheet. I am still looking for
McCarthy and Nielsen dealer numbers if anyone has them.

· Registered
59 Posts
Thank you so much! I’m actually going to Monterey tomorrow for car week (and I lived there for a few years). That dealership is still there. I really appreciate your help!

· Registered
75, 280Sl /5speed
1,517 Posts

RAB in San Rafael is one of the busiest dealers in CA. There are so many
Benz's in Marin Cunty there referred to as "Marin County Buicks"

· Registered
49 Posts
Thanks! Any idea if the pdf was ever posted or who to ask for the dealer list? Or any other way to find out who old, closed down dealer 05723 was? Thanks!!!!
[/QUO Dealer # 05723 may have belonged to Checker Calif. Sales Corp. Mercedes-Benz, 1333 West Main Street, Alhambra, Ca. I found a 280SE Coupe that started
out at this dealership with #05723 dealer number.

· Registered
49 Posts
[/

Turnbull and Gamble, Oxnard, California Dealer # 05729

· Registered
49 Posts

Jim Marino Imports, Alahambra, CA Dealer # 05742